Clarion Question Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Clarion Question « Previous Next »
By Tom (tcaton) on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Clarion DB 315 head unit that came with the boat. My question is does anybody know if I can install a Cd changer and the wired remote to this head unit.I am going to do some upgrading this winter and building some tower speakers too.

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 2:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tom check out www.clarion.com I did some checking and the wired remote will only work with the XMD1 or XMA1 head units. The up side is that all those are waterproof the down side they only work with each other. The Clarion wired marine remote will not work with other Clarion Radios. That sucks, I wanted to put in a head unit thats reads MP3's and skip the whole cd changer route.

Oh well good luck.
Bruce

By Tom (tcaton) on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 3:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I know it also works with the CMAS 2 head unit that looks just like mine. What I need to know is are the DB 315 and CMAS 2 the same unit

By Ryan (ocrider) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Guys...

If you want to install an MP3 player, think about the Sony's. You can get a cheap (~$50) wired remote from http://www.access-tech.net/productsRemoteCom.htm. I have installed these and they work really well. You can also use an extender cable from Radio Shack and run the remote anywhere you want....you can also use a Y adapter and have two remotes (one in the dash, one on the transom) if you want to.

I install stereos in boats occasionally for customers, and I have had a lot of luck with the Sony CDX-CA700X which does take a wired remote, and hooked up any of the MP3 CD-Changers. The beauty of this setup is that you get 6 or 10 discs that can hold MP3's, and the changer provides all the skip protection.

I believe the CA720X also takes a wired remote, but the CA900X does not. It's very difficult to get this info out of Sony or your local Best Buy/Good Guys/Circuit City.

My boat came with the Clarion XMD-2 and just recently the cd player stopped working. Of course it was about 1 month out of warranty, so I am stuck with a piece of crap stereo. The other downside is that it only has 1 set of RCA outputs, so it's not very easy to hook up a good system and maintain control. My advice would be to stay away from Clarion if you can. The Sony I mentioned above has front and rear outputs so it makes it easier to wire up one amp for the in-boat speakers, and a seperate for the tower speakers so you can control volume by fading front/rear so you don't kill everyone inside the boat when you are blasting the tower speakers.

Hope this helps.

Ryan Delany
http://www.ryno-gear.com
Rynogear Wakeboarding Accessories

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 3:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How old is your Clarion, they have a two year warranty on the XMD-2 head units.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com