Gas vs. Deisel Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Gas vs. Deisel « Previous Next »
By eric fox (fox) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 8:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looking at getting a new truck new summer. I am not sure about the gas vs. deisel argument. I tow my Nautique frequently, but only a max of 5 miles to and from the ramp. I might take a couple of longer trips this year. I don't really tow anything else and I have a 50 mile roundtrip to work and home.

Also, I have been thinking that 4wd might be uneccessary for around here as well. (I am in Cincinnati, Ohio for reference) Although, I have seen the new Chevy SS to be released and it is very badass..it's AWD which coiuld be helpful.

Thanks,
Eric

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 8:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
First off, about how much does the boat weigh? I tow my VLX with a 2wd 5.3 Silverado and it tows fine. I pull at least 20 miles to the closest lake, and a good part of that is grades. I think a diesel in your case would be just too much and not worth the extra cost. The new SS is basicly a Sierra C3, i think with out the 4 wheel steering, but with a little more horsepower. I think anything over a basic 2wd V8 would be overkill for what you are towing.

By Shawn Burke (02wakesettervlx) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 8:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Buy a four wheel drive. Resale value on two wheel drives suck. I think that a diesel would be overkill in your case, and it would take a long time for the ends to justify the means.

By Alan DeLarge (tigeal) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Eric, I just got a new chev. silverado HD 4 door 4wd Duramx. We tow much longer distances than you, min. 250mi. round trip to our closest lake so this was my main concern for spending the extra $7000.00 on the diesel. Around town and not towing I would have prefered the gas motor, smoother running and very quiet. The choice is yours but I would stay with gas in your case.

By eric fox (fox) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 12:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was think that the diesel would be overkill, but wasn't sure. I prefer the 4 "real doors" on a truck rather than the swingout doors like you find in the extended cab. Wanting 4WD is me figuring I never want to be stuck anywhere, anytime. There are a couple of gravel and steeper ramps at lakes that I'd like to go to. I figured AWD would be the next best thing, given that I don't go offroading.

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to stick with GM since I am eligible for employee discounts. However the local chevy dealer just got a ford harley model in on trade. That'd be pretty sweet!

Eric

By Allt (allterr1) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 5:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you plan on having it awhile, go with diesel. You can rack up major mileage on them. (A friend has an F-250 powerstroke with 400,000 miles on it and it's still going strong) Sure they are louder and more expensive on cost and upkeep, but IMO it's well worth it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com