How do I get the water hose off? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » How do I get the water hose off? « Previous Next »
By TY (typhoon) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 7:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I tried in vane to ge the water intake line off the thru hull intake. Does anyone have any suggestions? I pulled on this thing asa hard as I could and it did not budge.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 7:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Try pulling and twisting it at the same time. If that does not work, you might need to stick a pick between the hose and the fitting to break the seal all the way around the fitting.

By TY (typhoon) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 7:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is threaded on there and it feels like there is a hose barb inside the hose. Do you know how most are set up. I can only see about 1/2" of threads on the bottom and then hose.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 7:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Should be a barb type fitting with hose clamps. After time the hose becomes stuck to the fitting and you will need to break the seal.

By TY (typhoon) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 8:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do you know if it a removable barb fitting on the intake fitting most of the time?

thanks for the help

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 8:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If it has a hose clamp, yes.

By TY (typhoon) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 8:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thank you for your help. I am thinking about putting a t on it for a ballast system.

By Mark Bellaver (markb) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 9:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you are doing it in cold weather it can be tough. I usually pour a bucket of hot water on mine to help loosen it up.

By TY (typhoon) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 9:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Worth a try. Thought about a hair dryer but may not be hot enough.

By Matt Dettman (matt_dettman) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ty,

I use a cotter key removing tool to get in between the hose and the barbs or the threaded pipe. It's basically a hooked awl with a screwdriver handle on it. Great tool for lots of things, especially those glued on hoses! Sears should have one or most auto stores.

Matt

By TY (typhoon) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That thing is glued on isn't it?! I am 6'5" and weigh 230 pounds and could not pull it off with everything I had...you use that tool and go all the way around?

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You may want to verify that the maximum rated volume through your intake fitting is sufficient to supply both the engine's water pump and your ballast pump(s) at the same time.

A friend of mine had a system that had two pumps feeding from a single intake, and one pump would overpower the other and draw all of the water, running the second pump dry.

This situation could result in your engine overheating if your ballast pump(s) are more powerful or have better draw than your engine's cooling pump...NOT GOOD!

By TY (typhoon) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 11:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I thought about that...I was planning on filling only when the engine is off or we are moving at a good speed as it is a scoop type strainer.

By BobD (bigd) on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 5:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
On my boat the thru-hull intake has a valve that stays closed when the engine is off. Might be a consideration if you plan on using it while not running.

By Matt Dettman (matt_dettman) on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 7:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ty,

I was kidding about the "glue" but sometimes those hoses can be a real beeotch! Is it broken free and twisting? If it is and still won't pull off the barbs have reshaped the hose and you may be relegated to cutting it an inch or so 90 degrees from the end. You may or may not have enough extra hose to replace it.
The hose is a straight shot from the v-drive to the thru-hull fitting, correct? If so you might try removing the hose from the v-drive end(if it will come off!) and twist the hose off the fitting. You would get a lot more torque that way.

Matt

By Craig M. Fulton (oldschool) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 1:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had to cut mine off. I only lost 3 inches on the hose. The deal is the thing has metal wrapped around the inside and once it's on, it aint coming off! The thing that sucks about cutting it is having to deal with the thick wire on the inside also...goof luck!

By TY (typhoon) on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 7:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used a heat gun and it twisted right off very easy in about a minute.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com