why auto 4WD hubs suck...... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » why auto 4WD hubs suck...... « Previous Next »
By Chaun Keating (big_poppa_pump) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
stuck xstar1
stuck xstar2

...or perhaps, Who else takes their wakeboarding boat 'wheelin'?

By dane (greatdane) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Did you try hitting the gas with the brake on?

It can cause the differential to drive both hubs.

By Patrick (faceplant409) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Usually auto hubs need to roll under power about 10 feet before they engage. (You need to lock them BEFORE you get stuck.)
Pat

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 5:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
boat throttle assist?

By Fluid Concepts (jlembas) on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 6:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chaun,

That's funny....the same thing happened to us last Friday (without the mess). Something with the Arizona water that eats up the auto hubs. Have you also noticed that when you put ice in the cooler, the beer disappears?? Anyway, still trying to fix em.

Jerry Lembas
Fluid Concepts
www.fluidconcepts.net

By g joe boyle (jumbojoe) on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 7:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
could it be because it's a ford?

at least you guys still get to ride. i'll be down the 10th through the 15th....hoping to get some riding in.

By Chaun Keating (big_poppa_pump) on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 8:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was cleaning out my home office and found these pics that were taken last spring, I thought it would be pretty funny to post them for all the die hard WakeWorlders.

Jerry,

Funniest thing is that if you look close in the topmost left hand side of pic, I think you will see that this is the second time that Glen has been caught on film with a straight-up westsider beer in hand...he's always claiming that he's a diehard Coors Light fan.

P.S. Thank Jen again for the pics, they got me in hot water with the wife for a whole weekend....j/k..she thought it was funny.

Joe,

(F)ound (O)n the (R)oad (D)ead?? Oh well, I don't know that anyone makes trustworthy auto hubs. Give me a shout if you need a ride or a rider, I can go on Sat/Sundays. Or I will probably see you out on Saguaro, its starting to get cold enough to drive the kooks away.

Dane/Patrick,

I did switch into 4lo about 100 feet or so before backing in (because I never have really trusted autos). I could hear and feel the T-case was shifted into 4lo, so the front diff would have been turning, just not hooking up to the front wheels.

The real solution to this problem was to swap in some manual hubs which I did shortly after this happened. Cheaper than fixing the autos, and much more trustworthy according to the hardcore wheelers out here. I've never had a problem with them locking/unlocking since.

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 11:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I put Warns in my '77 Sub. I hate the autos.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 6:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I believe those Auto Hubs have plastic gears that engage them....very prone to failure. Manual hubs are the way to go.

By skerzz (skerzz) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 8:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just swap the rear axle with a dana 44 or dana 60 and you wont have that problem.

By Dan Lee (dan_lee) on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 12:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What good would a Dana 44 do back there? The 8.8 is a great axle. I've finally picked up a tow rig, but I used to tow my boat with my 94 Explorer limited with 10 1/2" lift and 35's locked front and rear. I've managed to launch about 5 manual hubs clean off the vehicle wheelin, but that is under extreme conditions. Now a Dana 44 solid axle in the front is in the plans, that truck has Dana 44 TTB which will be fine with manual hubs.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com