salt water and trailer brakes????????? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » salt water and trailer brakes????????? « Previous Next »
By Bob (bob) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 10:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
well here i am with a boat that is 1.5 years old and the brakes and master cyl are trash from salt water or the coupler jamming from parking with it contracted?? Looks like water got in the master cyl it is rusted so bad?? Brakes are toast, looks like i drove for miles with them stuck on. Heres my question: has anyone who rides in salt ALOT converted to disk brakes and how long have you been using them and how are they doing? Im thinking of converting but at double the price i would like some feedback from someone with experience. Oh yea forgot to mention THEY GET FLUSHED EVERY TIME OUT and most of the time its with salt away.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Disks do very well in the salt. As far as I know everything is stainless. Much easier to clean. Since you do not tow very far one thing that can make it easier to clean is to remove the inner fender well on the trailer. That is what most of the locals do here. One of the problems with master cylinders is that they can leak, through the cap, if left out in the rain. I used to bag the front of my trailer to keep the rain out.

By Craig M. Fulton (oldschool) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 11:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I ride in Salt 99% of the time. My trailer has disc brakes and I have no had a problem. I make sure the tongue is not compressed when I remove the trailer and I also rinse the brakes and rotors thoroughly. The only issue I had was the brake line corroded. I replaced it and ran the brakeline outside of the trailer frame to keep an eye on it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com