3 blade vs. 4 blade props Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » 3 blade vs. 4 blade props « Previous Next »
By Miles (tufsurf) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 7:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I noticed alot of dealer's sending out the '03 boats with 3 blade props.Any one know first hand what the difference is? What are the wake characteristics like with a 3 blade?

By Sean M (magic) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 12:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think a lot of Direct Drive boats are being shipped with 3 blade Acmes.

V-Drives are still being shipped with 4 blade props (last time I looked).

The idea behind the CNC Acme 3 blades is:
- The prop is balanced, traditional props are not prefectly blanced.
- 3 blades means that there is more space between blades so that they are not trying work in the wash of the blade in front of it.
- A V-Drive typically uses a larger diameter prop, so a 4 blade prop here has the same advantage with the space between blades.

The Acmes are CNC and come from the factory balanced and run very smooth. The run smoother than a typical 4 blade thats not CNC. I switched from a 4 blade OJ 13x13 to a Acme 13x11.5 and love the difference. The hole shot is much better with the 11.5 pitch and I did not loose any top end speed (if that matters)

Is the wake different? Little bit, I think that the 3 blade Acme holds its speed better, really better on a heavily weighted boat. I would say that there is slightly less prop wash too. So maybe between being a smoother prop, less wash and better speed holding the wake is slightly cleaner.

I never noticed just how much better I like my Acme till the day I had to take off for a slight ding to be repaired. I put the OJ back on and it just did not have the same hole shot and did not hold speed as well. The OJ is better at very low speeds though, idle speeds.

My Acme is also cupped pretty good. Bet that makes a difference too. The OJ does not have nearly as much cupping.

I ramble, but hope that helps!

By Miles (tufsurf) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 5:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
ya it does thanks.

By Steve Plaisance (splais) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 7:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I tried an Acme prop on my mastercraft prostar and did not like it at all. The OJ prop was far superior in all aspects to the recommeded Acme. Just goes to show why there is more than one prop manufacturer out their. But about 80% of everthing each company says about why it's prop is better than the other guy is just propaganda. You got to compare like items. In the above case You may have liked the Acme better, but did you try reducing the pitch on the OJ, or try their 3-blade, if not, then you can't say that Acme is better than the OJ, Cutter or any other for that matter. In most cases you are better off if you trust the manufacturers recommendation. When buying you should discuss the exact use of the boat and get their recommendation; most will switch props at the time of purchase.

By Bryce (sandman) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 4:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
There are a lot of new boats using the ACME 3-blade prop. Even some V-drives with 1:1 transmissions are being shipped (i.e. Centurion, Ski Supreme) with the ACME 3-blade. I understand AMCE is also developing a higher pitched 3-blade for use with V-drives that have a step down tranny (i.e. 1.5:1). I replaced my 3-blade on my V-drive with an ACME #525 11.5x13 (Same as Sean) and love it. Don't compare this prop to other 3-blades on the market. Put side by side to any other 3-blade it is obvious the ACME 3-blade is designed for pulling. The bades are huge compared to my CVP 3-blade. The ACME is much smoother, great hole shot and holding speed. The wake also cleaned up considerably. The roostertail out the back created by my old prop was practically gone.
Can't speak on the OJ's but I know a lot of people have not been happy with them and have sent them back due to balancing problems. Never an issue with the ACME.

By Miles (tufsurf) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 6:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
so far I've had a 4 blade oj 13x14 that has a cleaner wake than my 13x13. the 13 pitch seems a bit smoother out of the hole but gets the lip sloppy.Bryce as a matter of fact I have a 01' centurion.Thanks to all for your input.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com