steering cable maintenance... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » steering cable maintenance... « Previous Next »
By trace (trace) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 9:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i have read somewhere about pulling out the steering cable and lubricating it, instead of replacing the whole housing & everything. can't find the thread now...

i really have two questions: what kind of lube to use, and what precautions to take so i can get it back thru the housing?

thanks

By Paul J. Micklos (pjmicklos) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 3:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't know what kind of boat you are talking about and I honestly don't remember the lube I used. It did not work for me. I had to replace the cable on my '93 Nautique last year.

By Matt Dettman (matt_dettman) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 4:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Trace,

I'd go ahead and replace it. Cables are not prohibitively expensive and you will be stoked that you did!

Matt

By Paul J. Micklos (pjmicklos) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 5:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
There is a thread from 11-11-02 called "hard to steer". They did exactly what you described and it worked. They used lithium grease.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a cable that was completely frozen. I took it out of the boat, installed a zerk at the rudder, greased the heck out of it, and it was like new after. Personally I feel all cables should have a zerk installed. If you do replace the cable consider upgrading to a Morse cable. It will be double the money and double the thickness and quality. If I ever replace a cable again I will install a zerk fitting before installing it.

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 7:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What is a "zerk" and where do you get them?

By trace (trace) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 8:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
zerks are the little grease gun fittings found on your trailer bearings, rudder, car's susp & steering, etc.

Peter- what kind of grease? same marine stuff you put in your trailer bearings?

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Are they same as regular grease fittings? Are they Stainless steel?

By trace (trace) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/108/html/1964.html
2NDWORD

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com