infinity speakers, questions Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » infinity speakers, questions « Previous Next »
By Bob (bob) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 10:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
anyone have any problems with their kappas, cause ive had 2 or 3 6.5's blow and one 4", im not even overpowering them and they are crossed over at the amp and have seperate crossovers??? Im pretty sure im not clipping either but its hard to tell at the high volumes when the tower speakers kick in

By Nigel Pitcairn (elevenmg) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 11:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
what kind of amp are you running them from? were do you have them crossedover?

Some people may be unaware that underpowering speakers. can be harmful too, let me explain my jbl 80.4 only does 40x4 at 4 ohms. My kappas are rated at 70 watts RMS. So when I turn up the volume my amp starts cliping the signal before the speakers are driven to there max excursion. When you clip the signal its really bad for speakers. So it can in some instances be easier to blow speakers with less power than to much.

hope that wasn't to confusing.

By Sandy Vandebult (sandbag) on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 5:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Can someone please explain "clipping"?

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 8:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
clipping is typically caused when the voltage gain desired exceeds the voltage supplied to the amplification circuit. if you are looking at a sine wave, the "peaks and valleys" are clipped off at the voltage limit of the circuit, hence the term clipping. in typical amplification circuitry, with dynamic music, this can cause all sorts of nasty surges to go to the downstream equipment, and this is one of the primary causes of loudspeaker failure. if you hear any distortion from your speakers, it is usually the amps clipping. An ideal situation usually is to have amp power 2X the RMS power handling of the speaker. Now this is not always practical, as it can get very expensive.

To answer Bob's question...I have the kappa marine 6.5" coaxials that came with my ('02) wakesetter. I am powering them crossed over at the amp around 150Hz with a 50X4 memphis amp. It is noticable when they distort....but that is simply when you turn it down. I have run them hard all season...and have no problems yet. it gets to an acceptable volume for me (quite loud actually) so no plans to put more power to them.

I'd suggest that if you can't hear them well when the tower speakers are on....turn the gain down a little on their amp. give yourself some margin for error.

what amp are you running them with?

By Bob (bob) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 10:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nigel, underpowering speakers NEVER hurts them, its when you have an amp that is not as loud as youd like and try to turn the volume up (into clipping) that is bad. Anyway i was just wondering if anyone else with kappas was having problems? Im driving the 4" with a RF 400.4 (50 watts each/ gain turned about 1/2 of the way up and the 6.5" are being run with the same amp and the gains are about 3/4 of the way up). Crossovers are what came with the speakers, id have to look at the setting on the amp for those numbers but i know its set for high pass.

By Roy Finney (wkerat) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 8:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have never had problems with the kappa's and usualy run them around 50 watts each. Just re-tune them, you are probably sending them a clipped signal and don't know it...The kappas can get extreamly loud with 50 watts, to the point that i adjust mine down because the passengers can't take it when you want to turn the tower speakers up. It would be tough to blow them unless you are sending them the wrong signals, i use an external electric crossover on my personal boat, and leave most of the bass to the subs, although the kappas have decent midbass...I have done 20+ amp installs/adjustments with these speakers since I do the installs at the dealership i work at and we have not had 1 problem....Why don't you disconnet the tower speakers and re-adjust the kappa's so you can hear them more clearly, turn the volume up to the highest you will play it at with the gain all the way down and then go up slowly, if you hear distortion bring them back a little...try this without the crossover on at first and take down the settings, then do it with the crossover and go with what you like more, you may find you do not want to use the crossover since they have their own, but they will get louder if you take some bass out.

By Nigel Pitcairn (elevenmg) on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 7:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bob,

I know underpowering speakers never hurts them. It was 2:20am when I posted.... After re-reading my post its very confusing. You said what I was trying to say.

(Message edited by elevenmg on November 26, 2002)

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 5:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thats cool, i know there are alot of people who dont know much about audio and we both are correct in what we meant

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com