Stereo on a budget Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Stereo on a budget « Previous Next »
By Brandon (1kanaka) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 5:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
One of my winter projects was to add an amp and a sub to the 6 stock (Clarion) speakers. Looking to spend around $500. Not looking for anything too crazy just want to enhance what I currently have. Any suggestions?

By wakeman (skihardkore) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 5:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Same deal here, any info would be appreciated

By Nigel Pitcairn (elevenmg) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 11:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
off the top of my head I would look at:

amp jbl bp600.1 $229.99
infinity perfect 12 DVC 199.99
if you build a box your self $50
wireing $35
total $515 oops went over 500 bucks...

If you go to a shop to get the box build it will be 100-150 to get a simple box made.

yikkies this stuff adds up quick.

I'll think about it and post again tomorrow

look at sites like www.thezeb.com www.woofersect.com www.ikesound.com shop4sound.com www.buyloud.com they have really good prices.

PS I have a infinity basslink for sale. it came with my VLX

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.asp?ProdId='BASSLINK'&Ser=BSL&Cat=SUB

I'm adding a brahma 12 and a autotek amp 1200 watts of fun

By Jim Bogden (bog) on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 8:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
another option....

Infinity reference 12 sub 99.00
Alpine MRPF-320 5 channel amp 249.00
(50X4 RMS + 1X120 RMS)
Wiring 35-50.00
Cut a hole in the foot rest below the dash for the sub install. The amp will drive the sub and 4 other speakers, the other two drive by the head unit.

I have this same setup in my boat and it sounds great and the sub hits pretty good even though on paper the amp is not alot of watts per channel.

By Nigel Pitcairn (elevenmg) on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 9:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
okay here we go again.

SS750.1 mono 750 watt amp for $339.00
http://www.shop4sound.com/autotek/index.php

e12kd2 $135.00
http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep/kseries.htm

Jbl 600.1 $219.99
http://www.carmedia1.com/en-us/dept_125.html

Adire Shiva $125
http://www.adireaudio.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=30.10

US acoustics USX800D $239.99
http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/us_acoustics.html

if you can find a JBL bp 1200.1 for cheap you may want to go with that just becareful with the gains.

Shop around the sites I posted before you may find better prices. alot of sites pricematch or there compitition if you e-mail them.

If I were you I would do the 600.1 and the shiva.
amp $229.99
sub $125
Box $100 you may find some one willing to make one cheaper.
wireing $35
total $489.99 shipping may be a few bucks to.

By Mike Smith (bond) on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 10:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

Lets face it Bro - do it right or don't do it at all. Do not waste your money on Cheap Sh@#. Hold out until ya got the $$$$ to do her right. I'm sure all your bro's will tell you the same. Do her in stages on your budget. Do not try to keep up with all the rest of the punks You can only do what ya can do right.?????

Not everyone has $10,000.00 gesss to dropright out of thr hole.

By Dan Schneidau (gotpwr) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 7:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Brandon, I have basically the same boat you have except two years older, and added an amp and sub for about $500. I built my own box out of 3/4" MDF to fit in the passenger storage area for less than $20. I bought a Kicker KX600.1 subwoofer amp for $280 and a Kicker 12" DVC L5 Solobaric for $130 brand new off ebay. I probably spent another $65 for an amp wiring kit and shipping for the amp and speaker. 600W RMS to a single 12" sub thumps pretty good. I'll try to take some some pictures of the setup and post them tomorrow.

By Brandon (1kanaka) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 9:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for info all...

Dan, I'd like to see those pics....

By Dan Schneidau (gotpwr) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 3:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here are some pics of my sub setup. As you can see from the pics I mounted the amp to the side of the sub box.
Speaker Front #1
Speaker Front #2
Speaker Rear #1
Speaker Rear #2

By Dan Schneidau (gotpwr) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 3:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Since we are talking about budget speaker setups, here is what I did for my tower speakers. I bought a set a Kicker SS600 box speakers from Crutchfield for $140 shipped, made some tower brackets for about $50, and bought a used Kenwood 50W RMS X 2 amp for $40 from a guy at work. IMO the Kicker SS600 box speakers are the best bargain for tower speakers. They absolutely rock. I'm not real happy with my brackets so I'm going to come up with a different mounting strategy this winter, but for $230 the setup served its purpose this past summer.

By Brandon (1kanaka) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 4:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks bro..

Got an idea of what I'm gonna do...

By badzuki (badzuki) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 6:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dan - Any reason you went with the L5 instead of the L7? I was looking at doing the same and wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money or not.

By Dan Schneidau (gotpwr) on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 7:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mostly $$$. The only difference between the L5 and the L7 I could figure out was 600W RMS capacity versus 750W RMS capacity, and a steel basket versus a cast aluminum basket. Since I wasn't going to run anymore than 600W RMS to it anyway I figured the L5 would be good enough.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com