SCUPPER TYPE (SCOOP) INLET TO FILL BA... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » SCUPPER TYPE (SCOOP) INLET TO FILL BALLAST SACS? « Previous Next »
By TY (typhoon) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 8:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anyone tried using the scupper or scoop type of thru hull water inlets to fill a sac WITHOUT USING A PUMP?

By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 9:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Still working on you set up??

I do remember an old post about someone making some type of scupper that would create enough force to fill and could be reversed and used to drain… I don’t think it was like a normal brass thru-hull scupper though.

Someone also made a pvc type scupper under the hull but I think they still used a pump. (not sure)

By TY (typhoon) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 9:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Still working. I have it all figured out but not sure if I can get the hoses over the gas tank.

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 11:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used a small scupper to prime my pump, and as it turnes out it will fill a sac too. I found this out after I drained the sacs and forgot to turn off the shutoff valve on the pump. While driving back to the dock, the scupper was scooping up water and filling the sacs without the pump. So yes, you can. Also, the scupper I made is small. I used a 1 inch pvc elbow fitting and cut it in half lenghwise and glued it to the bottom of the boat and the tru hull fitting with J.B Weld. It works like nobodys business

By TY (typhoon) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 11:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does it fill it pretty tight?

By Richie Hearn (hitman) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
have any pics of that set up?

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 4:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
There is a manifold system used in combination with a "scoop" type under hull pickup manufactured by Launch Pad. It was advertised in Level X recently, but I can't tell you which issue because I loaned it to a friend. I think it was towards the front in a "new products" feature.

I think Launch Pad is a Straight Line company. I think this might be worth tracking down...

By Ryan W (ryan_313) on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 7:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Claibra has a scoop on there boats for there ballest sytems.It fills in 45 sec and draines in 15 sec.

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 7:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dont they use the scoop intake for the water intake to cool the engine? Also, the calabria uses like 2 3inch inlets at the back of the boat, so it has to be stoped to fill, but has to be moving or on the trailer to empty

By TY (typhoon) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 2:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey bt lowe,
I looked all over on the straightline site and could find anything.

By Tom Bugg (tombugg) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 2:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ty,
Yes, you cna fill sacs with just the scoop. It is not all that effective though, and you will still need to put some type of shut off valve on it or you will blow up your bags.

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 4:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, I did the same. The manifold was in Level X magazine as a little product-promo type spot. It allowed up to 5 pumps to run off a single "scoop" style intake.

The article had a phone number of the inventor/mfg., and I'm pretty sure it was the same inventor of the "launch pad", which is a straight line product.

I'll see if I can track down the number...

By TY (typhoon) on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 2:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you could. That would be very cool. I dropped an email to straightline also.

Thanks

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 7:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a flush type through hull fitting with a rule 4000 GPH, had endless troubles getting the pump primed etc, I made a scoop out of a piece of pipe and pushed it into the through hull fitting and it halved the fill time on the system. Now I can fill 3 sacs for a total of 1500 pounds in about 5 mins.

By TY (typhoon) on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 6:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Did you glue it in?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com