Tap into the Heater hose for a hot wa... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Tap into the Heater hose for a hot water shower? « Previous Next »
By gid (whazzup) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 9:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just installed my heater and I thought if I tee'd off the hot water line going in, I could have a shower line connected to that. Has anyone done this? I know that water would be pretty hot but I just want to warm up vests and rashguards. I just think a shower system is too expensive just to have warm water

By Clint (clint) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 9:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have talked to some barefooter types who do this to fill a cooler with hot water to warm things like feet and gloves. The flow can be pretty wimpy unless you kick up your RPMs to turn your engine pumps faster. If you don't mind doing that and if you're careful with 140 to 160 degree water, it works okay. I kinda like a shower. Feels good to be clean on those four-day trips when the water is a little cold to jump into.

By matt kelly (proairrules) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 4:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
that water is going to be dangerous at that temperature. I'd get the shower pump and run some cold water with it.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 4:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The water may be REALLY hot. The Indmar in my boat has a 175 degree thermostat, and the water is too hot even for warming up vests, gloves, etc. In fact, I filled milk jugs to use as foot warmers, and after 10 minutes they still were too hot for comfort.

However, water from the heater return line might be okay, assuming the heater is on so some of the heat has been taken out of it.

By the way, I got a shower kit about a year ago from M&M for $175, including shipping. It's been worth it.

By gid (whazzup) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 5:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, I dont think there is enough pressure to make the water flow at a reasonable rate. I guess I'll just have to get one at a later time.

By B C (brandon_c) on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 4:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
gid,
Typically water heaters do tap into the engine cooling system. But the hose going in is going to be cold (coming in from the lake). Showers tap into water going in (cold) and water going out of the engine (hot) and is pumped to the controls which regulates your temp, much like your shower at home.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com