Tilt up doesnt work after winterizing Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Tilt up doesnt work after winterizing « Previous Next »
By Michael W. Gwin (mwgwin) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 7:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I winterized my boat (2000 SeaRay 180) this year and after I was done the tilt didnt work going up. The trailer button still works to bring it up so I dont think I completely screwed it up, Im thinking maybe I knocked something loose while changing the oil or something. Before I take it to the shop and get overcharged, does anyone have any ideas what I could look for?

By Murphy (bigfaceplanter) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 7:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do you hear the pump attempting to lift the unit?
The pump only holds a ounce or two of fluid.
If it's low it's gonna cost you about $2.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 7:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Same thing happened to me Michael ( 175 Searay ).

I disconnected everything from the battery, cleaned up the wires and terminal and charged the battery.

Put it all back together and it worked. If your battery is a bit old or discharged, that would be the first place I'd check.

I don't know that I'd bring it into a shop until you get a Chilton's manual for the motor and drive. You can pick them up at almost all marine stores. Most work, unless you have to pull the drives, is pretty easy once yo have the manual.

By Michael W. Gwin (mwgwin) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 7:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
After I was done and first tested it, it sounded like it worked for about a second, then nothing, no sound or anything. Matt - I think Ill take your advice and pick up a manual and check the battery. But if the problem was with the battery, I wouldnt think the down button or trailer would work?

By Bobby Mucic (bobbymucic) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 7:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do you have a volvo or a merc?
I know of a similar problem, posted elsewhere ...I think it was a with a relay..I'll check it out, and post later today.

Bobby

By Michael W. Gwin (mwgwin) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 7:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Merc Alpha One. Thanks everyone for all the help. Gotta love this site!

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 7:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oddly enough Michael, it did on mine. The down and trailer buttons both worked, but the trim up didn't.

I don't really have any explanation, but cleaning and charging did the trick.

By Bobby Mucic (bobbymucic) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 7:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I found the thread from the other site (stingray boat owners forum). It was a Volvo problem, with a short in the relay. Sorry, no help there.

If the battery charge doesn't solve your problem, Let me know and I'll forward you the thread; it is a pretty long troubleshooting saga about switching relays and reversing connections (up to down). The owner finally found were some other relay had been running hot, and burned the side of the wire controlling the trim. The wiring was all along the gunnel, so it was tough to find.

By Shawn (csquared) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 2:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Maybe check the position of the trim indicators on the back of the stern drive (one on each side)?? If one was accidently moved down too low, it will prevent the trim up button from moving the motor but will allow it to be moved up with the trailer button just fine. If the trim indicators are too low, the motor thinks it is in the highest trim position and won't go up. That feature does not apply when the trailer button is used.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com