outboards Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » outboards « Previous Next »
By Peter Devine (frickenchicken) on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 6:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have set up my 17ft 1969 Glastron to produce a nice wake. Its just over knee high and quite steep. ( Just the way I like it ). I have not seen another outboard that has produced such a wake and it seems it has a better wake than most of the inboards I have seen ( apart from the purpose built Malibu etc. It has taken alot of trial and error on weight distribution and prop selection. I would like to hear from others who have had similar experiance with outboards ( ie what setup works for them ) or from those who can not afford the newer inboards and are making the best of what they have. I may have some information based on my own experiances to save you some hasles. Cheers

By dave meekings (wranger) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 2:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i have a 16-17 foot outboard runabout. what size is ur motor?? how much weight can u put in it and how long is the rope u use pete???

(Message edited by wranger on November 21, 2002)

By Peter Devine (frickenchicken) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 3:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 150 hp Mariner and I have around 300 litres of water placed right in the middle of the boat directlt under the tower. ie mid between the front and rear and mid between port and starboard. Four people in the boat. I have no idea how long my rope is but I have one 2 metre length left over from the original rope which I quess is around 70ft. So its about 63ft. But this will depend where the wake is best. to adjust the wake shape try moving the weight forward and aft and try playing with the trim. I trim out a little. Beware with how much weight your put in your boat. Try a little and work your way up while adjusting your driving style because the more weight you put in, will change the way your boat will handle.
I have a 17inch pitch prop which helps maintain speed better and gets you out of the hole better.
As basic rule, going down 2 inches will raise your rpm around 400 rpm. You should be in your outboards recommended PRM range. I board around 20mph at 3100rpm. I hope this helps.

By BobD (bigd) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 5:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't have anything to add here except to say hello to our brothers in the southern hemisphere and express my jealousy that their summer is just getting started!!!! Boo Hoo for us here in Texas!!!

By Peter Devine (frickenchicken) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 8:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
G'day Bob, Yea we are looking forward to a new season. Im sure It will be a good one. See Ya

By Alex Kinon (nj_alex) on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 8:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an old outboard that I've worked real hard on trying to make it produce a wake big enough to send me flying. But despite fat sacking it to the max, I can only get enough air to do a fast 180. Click on my profile and check it out! I've pretty much had it with this boat and I'm about to buy a 2002 Super Air nautique Team Edition.

By Peter Devine (frickenchicken) on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 3:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hi alex, Your boat was designed with a steep v I would expect to cope with chop in wide bodies of water. A hull with a steep v will cause the wake to colapse when loaded as appossed to a flat hull like the wake purpose boats. These boats cope with huge loads and the wake remains solid.
With the correct technique you should be able to do a 360 off a small wake.
If you have the cash buy the Air Nautique if you dont look for a boat with a flat hull.
Good luck. See ya

By Alex Kinon (nj_alex) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 6:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Peter: Thank you for physics explanation of why my boat's wake is so poor, despite my best efforts to produce the contrary. Yes, my boat does have a deep V hull. From lying on my back every Spring and painting it and then lying on my back every Fall power washing it, I have somewhat intimate relationship with my boat's deep V hull. Do I have the cash for the Super Air? Not really, but I'm getting one anyway. <g>

By Dan Schneidau (gotpwr) on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I spent my most of my life skiing and wakeboarding behind an outboard and they aren't good for anything related to watersports. The wakes are too big and hard for slalom, and two small and poorly shaped for boarding. Finally, in the fall of '99, after drooling over the inboards at the boat show for the past four years, I ordered my '00 Air Nautique. It was one of the best decisions I've made and I haven't looked back. BTW, a 15 year loan makes the payments easier to swallow.

By dave meekings (wranger) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 2:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
alex?? how big is the motor on ur boat

By Peter Devine (frickenchicken) on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 3:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dan, sounds like you have had some experiance with outboards. My experiances are that if the hull is flat and the right amount of weight is added to the right spot in the boat you can produce a wake good enought to wake board. The chances of producing a competition wake on an outboard is very slim but you can produce a wake very close. Ive been on inboards that are not weight 'Correctly' that produce a crap wake. So it depends on the shape of your hull, horse power and willigness to experiment. Outboards are great for watersports. This is my point of view.

By steve lambert (wakesteve) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 9:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey i have a 97 glastron that has the smallest wake in the free world and i havent had a chance to experiment much with it. there's a 90 hp merc on it. any suggestions?

By steve lambert (wakesteve) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 10:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
it's 17' by the way

By Peter Devine (frickenchicken) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 8:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Steve, I have a 1969 glastron with a 150hp outboard. I believe you need the hp to get out of the hole. A 90hp will struggle. SWo if your going to put weight in your boat try to put it in the middle ie towards the pointy end of the boat. If you put all the weight in the back you will be restricted on the amount of weight.
Again when you weight your boat try to increase the draft of the full length of the hull. Again this will help you get ouy of the hole.
Be very careful adding weight. Add small bits at a time. Adding weight changes the hanling of your boat.
When you are comfortable with the weight play with the trim. Have it all the way in when you start and then let it out until the wake fethers then let it in a little. Experiment experiment experiment. Good luck

By Peter Devine (frickenchicken) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 8:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
By the way I use a about a 67ft rope

By Alex Kinon (nj_alex) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 8:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dave: I have a Mercury Force 120 on my sorry boat.

By steve lambert (wakesteve) on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 8:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
alright thanks Pete, i'll give it a try.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com