Removing the Windshield on VLX Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Removing the Windshield on VLX « Previous Next »
By Nigel Pitcairn (elevenmg) on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 5:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm thinking about putting some better speakers in my VLX. The problem is I need to remove the wind shield to do it. do any malibu owners have any tips and tricks or things to watch out for.

Thanks, Nigel

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 5:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Go to a good Audio install shop and they will have a screw driver that will fit in there so you will not have to remove the winshield.

By wakeman (skihardkore) on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 5:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
where exactly are you putting these speakers so that you need to remove the windshield? i love sound system set ups so tell me all about it.

By Sandy Vandebult (sandbag) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 7:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Phaeton is right.
Aviod removing the windsheild
at all cost.
You can make the cuts from underneath and use
universal jointed tools to tighten Screw/nut/fastener

By Sandy Vandebult (sandbag) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 7:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Phaeton is right.
Avoid removing the windshield
at all cost.
You can make the cuts from underneath and use
universal jointed tools to tighten Screw/nut/fastener

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 9:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The speakers are already in place, he just wants to swap them out for something with a bit more quality than the stock Infinity's. The problem isn't getting to the screws, it's getting the speak out once you've released all the fasteners. There really isn't enough room for the basket and magnet assembly to clear the dash. It can vary from boat to boat though, so give it a try first for sure.

There are detailed instructions on how to remove the windshield on MalibuBoatOwners.com

By Nigel Pitcairn (elevenmg) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm just replacing the factory speakers.The big problem is infront of the dash. I have about 1/2 an inch clearance from the screw to the windshield. Even if I use a screw driver that is 1/4 of an inch the screw will hit the windshield before its all the way out. Then like Jason said I don't think the speaker will come out.

When I do change the speakers I'll try cutting the screws from below. If I can get the speaker out and the new one in I'll use long bolts big washers and tighten them from below. If not it looks like I'll be stuck removing the windshield.
I saw the Post on malibuboatowners.com I just wanted to see if any one had any other ideas.

By wakeman (skihardkore) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 12:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why dont you leave those ones in and leave them on your factory deck power (approx. 45watts), then put your nice new ones somewhere else, running off a nice amp. that way you'll have louder, more sound and less frustration. Although, i'm not sure if this can be done....just an idea

By Nigel Pitcairn (elevenmg) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 2:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
well I've already thought out what I'm going to do. I've got a few nice amps coming too. I really don't like running speakers from the head unit. it only puts out 13watts. If it is a real pain in my neck. then when its all hooked up it will sound that much better.

By wakeman (skihardkore) on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 4:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
good point. I suppose if you are considering removing the windsheild, you've thought pretty seriously about it. all in the name of quality sound!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com