Ouch! Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Ouch! « Previous Next »
By Wastemore (barry) on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 1:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Started my boat for the first time since my knee injury. Thought I had pulled out the neutral bar/switch/whateveritis all the way, gave it a bit of gas and it made this really loud vibrating noise, I assume from the prop. Did I damage anything? I suppose you're not supposed to run em in gear out of water.

B-

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 2:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think that water lubricates the strut bearing. My guess is that the lack of water in the bearing may be the source of the vibration, especially on a new boat.

I don't think I'd worry much about it, especially if it was run for only a couple of seconds. You might try turning the prop by hand (with everything off) to see if it turns smoothly. But the best test simply would be to get it in the water and see if the vibration persists.

Here's hoping it goes well!

By Keith F (keithf) on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 5:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Before you drag it to the water try this at home:

Lubricate the strut bearing by spraying it with the hose before you hookup the fake-a-lake. That should prevent the squeal/vibration when putting it in gear out of the water.

If that does not solve the vibration, something else is wrong - you may have bent the propshaft on something since the last time, you may have a small furry animal attached to the prop, etc.....

Hope this helps! Keith.

By Wastemore (barry) on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 6:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I didn't hit anything and I know the prop/shaft was fine last time out. Which mean I'll have to assume that you guys are correct, the water does lube the shaft/bearings, etc..
I'll try it out this week. It'll give me an excuse to get out and ride.

Thanks.

B-

By Matt Dettman (matt_dettman) on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 6:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wastemore,

I wish I could have seen the look on your face when you heard that strut bushing screaming at you! Congratulations, you have joined the what-the-hell-was-that-noise-club!
No harm done. Next time you want to run the boat in gear, just spray the grooves in the strut bushing with some w-d40 or silicone spray before you fire her up!

Matt

By Patrick (faceplant409) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 10:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'd use binding lube. It won't ruin rubber. It also makes new impellers slip right in.
$.02 Pat

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com