need some subwoofer enhancement ideas Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » need some subwoofer enhancement ideas « Previous Next »
By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 9:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is the deal. I have an '02 Wakesetter LXi. Currently I have two Infinity Perfect 12's in a sealed enclosure behind the passenger seat. (Each one has 1 cu ft, and they are being powered by a memphis ST500-D 500W amp)

What I want some ideas of how to get the sound out of that compartment better. Currently it sounds fine, but it THUMPS when you lift up the backrest to that compartment. Have any of you gotten around this acoustic problem? Is there room in front of the driver's seat for 2 cu ft of enclosure space, with a heater there?

Please help me out, as I'd like to maximise my sound without displacing people to have the seat backrest open.

Thanks!

By Roy Finney (wkerat) on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 12:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The drivers space is not that large, but i have some dimensons from my last lxi if you need them. I just got a vlx and am going to use the passenger compartment again, but am going to do one of 2 things. I am either going to put slots in the seatbase and put vents over them to let the sound out, or mount the sub on the walkway and build a box for it into the compartment. Mounting 2 subs under the drivers area is possible and I have done it to boats before (I do some installs at a marina), but usually you have to give up footspace and re-route the heater.

By Roy Finney (wkerat) on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 12:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Another option you have if you are good with vinyl work is to make a new seat back with slots in it. If you go this route make a rough one first with some cheap old canvas, and then make the good one. If ou call malibu you woudl be qabel to get a new back and some vinyl if you wanted an exact match, or if you are really good you coul duse what you have. I ahve seen this done, but have never been brave enought myself.

By WakemonsterRich (wakemonster) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 8:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I got my sub in the same passenger side compartment as well (03 Supreme), and it make the CD player skip at higher volumes... I also notice the bass will nearly double when you crack the seat up just a bit. I'm relocating my subs to the driverside under the dash in the front panel which I can remove for the installation... This should make lotsa more bass and also eliminate my CD player skipping problems...

By TY (typhoon) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 9:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The easiest way is to cut vent holes below the seat in the wood or on the side and use the nice looking round drain hole screens.

By Mike Smith (bond) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 9:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Tim - I currenty had the same problem, I'm running one JL 15W3 under (behind) the observer seat in my 00 Wakesetter, We removed onw of the cup holders and covered it with speaker clothe to re;aease some of the sound. I would also have to open the seat to really have her come alive. I've recently added two JL 8" Micro subs under the dash. Now she hits really hard, The 8's pick up where the 15 drops off.

By Roy Finney (wkerat) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 8:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
In my 03 vlx I know the subs I want won't go under the drivers side so I am putting them in the passenger comp and plan on venting it in a fasion similar to Ty's post.

By Mike Smith (bond) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 9:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

Roy - My buddy has an 03 Wakesetter and he installed 2-JL 8" subs facing the drivers legs, Sounds really good, he also has the same woofer as mine but a JL 15W6 under the observer seat.
I will see if I can some pics for ya bro.

CarTronics in Santa Rosa, CA did the install.

looks sweet - sounds awesome as well.

By Sean M (magic) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 9:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is what I did on my Cal-Air. I also drilled out the cup holders too. Made a difference in sound output. So did the 12" Shiva in front of the drivers legs too!

The vents are for an Ecplise Ti 12"

pasd

wer

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com