Ballast stock vs. custom values? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Ballast stock vs. custom values? « Previous Next »
By Chase Tennyson (tennyson0) on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 3:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am considering installing a bigger automatic ballast system to my 2001 SAN. I am planning on taking out the hard stock tanks and putting in 600lb. sacs in the back and another in the locker. Each will have its own fill and empty, and I will be using the new factory switches for the install. My question is this: Does a bigger and better ballast system add to the value of the boat or would it decrease its value because it is no longer a "factory" system? Thanks for your insight! I will probably put this on the "other" site as well so if you check both I am sorry.

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 6:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think that will depend on two things:

1. Installation quality - to the extent you build a system that is professional caliber, I would expect the impact on value to be neutral to positive. Look at www.flow-rite.com for parts. These are what MC uses in their factory setups.

2. Who is buying your boat? - Many people may be put off by a super heavy built in ballast system for fear of its impact on the boats engine, transmission, etc. If you are selling to a hard core wake head, however, he (she) will appreciate not having to do the install himself, since more ballast is a must.

Have you tried lead?

Since the SAN throws a pretty good wake with the stock ballast, adding 400 lbs. of lead has a big impact. Also, you can still trailer with this amount.

You will get the wake you want without modifying your boat...

By Chase Tennyson (tennyson0) on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 8:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
B.T. - I agree with your points, however, I am planning on still using lead after the install. I have a fat buddy on top of each factory tank now, plus a locker sac 600lbs., and about 300 pounds of weight in the nose. I pull the boat out and leave it on the trailer and allow all of this weight to stay in! I would rather be able to drain it automatically and not stress any trailer parts. I don't travel like this because my boat ramp is about 10feet from my parking spot, so towing isn't really a concern but it does sit still with all of the weight in it. Thanks for your thoughts!

By Chase Tennyson (tennyson0) on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 8:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh yeah, the install is going to be done with parts and help from professionals (I know some people). Thanks!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com