Solid black boat - would you do it? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Solid black boat - would you do it? « Previous Next »
By Steven Murray (stevem) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 6:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am getting ready to order a new 2003 Wakesetter VLX. On the 2003's you can now order a solid color hull and I am considering ordering an all black hull with the a polished Titan tower. I have had black cars and trucks and understand the extra work involved, but does anyone out there currently have an all black boat? Would you do it again?

-Steve

By 3D (str8jkt) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 7:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My boat is white with a large black accent. If I could change anything, it wouldn't have the large black accent. Water spoting and just the effort to keep the dark stripe looking good equals the effort to maintain the rest of the boat. So call me lazy. But I like to keep it clean and shiny and the dark color is way harder on me. But then I also have a black Suburban to keep clean and live on a gravel road. Maybe I'm just bitter?

By Wes (pesos) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 7:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
black boats are fugly.

By Mike Smith (bond) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 7:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey wes sweet set-up, are you friends with Grant ???

By Nigel Pitcairn (elevenmg) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 9:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would think it would be really hot.

I just got my VLX and love it!

By Wes (pesos) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 9:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant is fugly.

wait, no, i don't know him... but he has a sweet looking red boat right?

By dane (greatdane) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 10:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I like WHITE because it does not fade as much as the darker colors.

I also think it make sense to take delivery without the decals. Boats look cool without them and you can then offer them to the next owner in perfect condition with no decal marks in the gel coat.

By Drew (helix_36) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 10:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
not completely black, but I think it looks good.

20v

By dave meekings (wranger) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yeah that boat is heeps good
ive seen a wakesetter with a black hull with gold deck and it looked so mad

By Jay Carter (jayc) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 5:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Black boats look the bomb in a showroom but once in the water they look tired unless constantly polished!

By Grant (mtbmudmachine) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 7:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Fugly RED Nautique (What Up "Wes) the boat has a }solid hull/deck. The only thing you need to be aware of is Loading and unloading your boat on the trailer and don't beach it. If you load your boat. "The traditional way" where the trailer is in the water up to the fender's on the trailer and the trailer bunk's are semi exposed and your "DRIVE" you’re boat onto the trailer I noticed scratch marks in the hull after loading and unloading it only a few times. I had the Hull polished and don't load and unload my boat like that anymore. To not scratch you’re boat you need to load it like this. Put the trailer "Very deep" in the water. Drive the boat over the trailer and attach the Bow hook, and winch it in. Make sure that boat doesn’t slide over the trailer bunks (having the trailer deep will make this possible) Then when the boat is centered. You’re driver need's to pull you out. At the same time you need to have the boat in gear and give it some power. (Keeping it centered and tight against the bow stops. You can turn the steering wheel to keep's the boat centered when the power is on, If you try pulling your boat out with out powering up as you pull out, you can "snap the winch strap" (it's to much weight for the winch strap to hold) a little gas will do the trick. Turn the boat off as soon as the boat comes completely out of the water. It sound complicated but if you have a "Good Partner" It's easy, you can't do it this way by yourself. It's a little extra work but It keep's the bottom nice.

By TY S (typhoon) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 8:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Neely where are you...

By Mike Smith (bond) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 8:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post

....Was out last weekend with Grant @ Lake Sonoma his boat is Tight. The color combo looks great. It's all about how you take care of her - we detail our 00 Wakesetter once a month durning the heavy riden season and I always through a good coat of wax on her once a week.

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 8:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
3D- I couldn't agree more. I had an 02 VLX with the black accent strip and keeping that clean was more work than keeping the rest of the boat looking good!

Steven- That boat would look awsome with the polished tower and all of the SS they added this year, but man I would hate to own it and clean it!

I actually just ordered my 03 and I did the custom colors and didn't put any black on the boat, all white and yellow... like the one at Surf Expo if anyone saw that one.

You guys seen the new Malibu website, the section you can custom color design your boat to see how it looks, fun to play with.

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 9:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
All black is very sweet but it is a ton more upkeep. I would seriously consider getting a lighter color inside. If you have a black interior (fiberglass), it will scratch really easy and not look good. The pic of the Tige above has the white inside with the all black outside. I was going to order an all black new boat until I saw what the inside of my buddies looked like after half a season. I am now going with all black outside and a white or light gray inside.

By Cary Kalamajka (ndh2o) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
One of the guys I ride with has an 03 solid black VLX waiting in the showroom, but can't get it until his SAN sells. I haven't seen it, YET, but I hear that it is gorgeous !!! I can only imagine.

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 11:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I love mine and I don't think it is any more work than any other color. Black wipes clean just like white or any other color.
My one regret is I did a 2 tone gray interior with black accents. I did a side by side vinyl temp test with white vinyl in 90 degree direct sun and I can tell you the white you could sit down on, the gray you could cook on.
Blackest Beauty

By TY S (typhoon) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 11:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris,
is that in the delta?

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 11:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Delta yes. Here is the interior.

By TY S (typhoon) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 11:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Still need those pics or measurements for the pp...homey-clause.

By Zack Stewart (raider40) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 11:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Steve, I've got a reverse black XStar and love it. There's no doubt that it is harder to clean than my white pro star was but is definitely the best color out there. It looks so sharp. I do agree about pulling it up on the trailer or at the beach though. You've got to be careful as it shows more scratches.

By Mike Smith (bond) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

Nice looken ride there bro - here is mine just the reverse (all white wakesetter)

By Marty McFly (mcfly) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree..black is hard to keep clean..but I really like it. My last 2 boats I have ordered this year are black...

McFly

By Mike Smith (bond) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

here is the pic of my all white 00 wakesetter
00 wakesetter

By Grant (mtbmudmachine) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 1:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris Is your Interior Silver? What ever it is It looks Bad Ass!

By Mike Smith (bond) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 1:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

..Chris Is your boat a Sanger????

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 5:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is light gray with silver/black accents and yes it is a Sanger. The finish on the vinyl of the silver is almost like a snake skin. But like I said it gets hot.

By Matthew Bird (ldr) on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 9:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't know too much about this issue but i did have a friend who got an all red malibu lsv and for the most part the thing always looked like crap because you could always see all the marks on the hull. In fact he ended up even getting rid of it partly due to this issue. I will say that all black boats do look really nice but frankly i think that all white wakesetter looks just as good and is probably 20 times easier to maintain and keep looking good

By Alan DeLarge (tigeal) on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 9:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Personaly I would never do it. It would get way to hot if exposed to the sun and the upkeep would be tough. Our boat has offwhite seats with a med.dark blue stripe running through it and the temp. diference is extreme, I once set a gas card on the blue section while fueling at lake mead and in the few minutes it took to top off the boat the card had almost turned to rubber!
I carry a pocket thermometer on the boat just for kicks and checked the dark area and it was 130 degrees on a 100 degree day! next boat will only have light colors - gelcoat and upholstery.
just my 2 cents

By Bradley Beach (bbeach) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 2:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Throw a coat of wax on the black every now and then at it doesn't spot bad. My MC has black in it and it isn't bad. Gotta take care of it though! I would order an all black one! The 03 Tournament Teams are going to be all black and I'm trying to get one of those...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com