tower lights - rip off?!?! Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » tower lights - rip off?!?! « Previous Next »
By wakeman (skihardkore) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 4:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was looking a bar of lights for my tower. I live in Canada so all those sites like wakeside.com and buywake.com are in USD for me. A bar of like 5 or 7 lights, around 35 to 55 watts was like 500+ US dollars. That'll cost me around 700 canadian pesos. anyway, i could just go to a local hardware or tuck supply and pick up some 100watt driving lights and mount them on my tower for 40 canadian dollars per light. seems obvious to me!

By Grant (mtbmudmachine) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 4:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes tower light's seem to be a bit high priced!
I don't see any reason why you can build you own.
See if you can find some lights with a separator in them. The seperator is a metal plate mounted inside the light at the half way point( It split's the light)And stops the light from shining down ito the boat, Making it harder to see forward, Go to the Titan websight they explain it very well. Good Luck

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 6:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I hear you on the Canadian Pesos. Only I think brokerage and GST will push well above 700.

Ever found a good place to buy wakebaord stuff in Canada? Online?

The best I ever found was this Quebec marina...

http://www.blyacht.com/english/home.asp

I've never used them. I found them while tryiong to buy Aerator pumps for my ballast system.

By Craig M. Fulton (oldschool) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 6:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tower lights are a rip off. Why even get them? Riding in the dark can't be that enjoyable...plus, in Florida, you increase your chances of becoming 'gator bait.

By trash (trash) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 7:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
For Canadian wakeboard gear, try http://www.sportsmanmarine.com. Good prices and great service. They have a storefront here where I live and I'm always in there buying things (wakeboard,vests,2 stroke oil at one time )

Trash

By Wastemore (barry) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 8:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It depends on what lamps they use. I've seen light-bars with PIAA's/Catz and though they appear to be a rip-off, they're really fairly priced. Just a decent set of lamps are going to run you 150.00/pair without a bar/mounting surface.

You can certainly go pick up some driving lights for 40 bucks and mount then yourself. But consider this, I purchased a pair of PIAA 1100's almost 6 years ago and paid 220.00 for the pair. They're still running today, never had a problem with them. A buddy of mine(who I would call cheap) refuses to spend 220.00 bucks on lamps and insists on buying the less expensive lamps. Not only do his not project well, he's been through 5 sets in 3 years @ 50 bucks a pop. When it comes to lamps(car/boat/whatever) you truly do get what you pay for.
The burning question (har har) is, are light bars practical?

B-

By matt broad (mattbroad) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 10:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't have them and everyone I asked that does says don't bother. They are only good for docking and loading at night; otherwise they make more glare than light. In Idaho (and most places, I think) it's illegal to ride after dark anyway.

By Ridin' High (ridinhigh) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I highly recommend the bow lights as they work great for docking, loading, and driving at night and the glare is minimal.

By wakeman (skihardkore) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 4:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I want to clarify my use for the lights. I will only use them for night driving/docking (somthing i do alot of). Also, 4 people died on my lake this year at night becase they weren't properly lit. so now, i really need to see where i'm going in the dark. you can't trust people anymore to light their own boats. I was looking at tower lights beacuse it's easier than wiring and drilling into the hull for front docking lights. Mako has a cool design where they have the lights on the side of the tower. This causes less light to be on the bow of the boat and more on the water.

By Whit (whit) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 1:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
We use lights all the time. I've got the Boss and the 2002 MC Lights (two sets) I use the Boss lights, 5 facing back, for riding. Use the MC lights for docking, picking up.

All depends on your lake and your laws. Boarding in North Carolina is allowed an hour before sunrise to an hour after sunset. If there are no other boats on the water, the lights can be nice.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com