My winterizing procedures this weekend Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » My winterizing procedures this weekend « Previous Next »
By Sam Hughes (exdeckboater2) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 7:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hear are the steps I took this weekend in winterizing my boat.

Saturday
1. Go get the Supra out of storage.
2. After parking truck and boat in street in front of house, attach fake-a-lake to boat and start that swwweeeeetttt sounding motor.
3. Allow engine to run until reaching normal operating temperature. While waiting, run the quick drain hose out through the hole, resting on the oil collection pan.
4. Once engine has reached normal operating temperature, tune off engine, roll under boat on creeper and remove cap on end of hose.
5. While oil is draining, go and get three kitchen size trash bags. Place one inside another and strategically place these two under the oil filter. Break filter loose with wrench, then remove filter by hand and place it in the trash bags. Hold the trash bags up so any other oil will drain into the bags. (Whoever posted this idea, thank you very much, it sure helps in keeping the bilge clean.)
6. Once no more oil is dripping from the filter hole, carefully pull the trash bags from underneath the engine and tie them closed.
7. Go and get the new filter, filling it with oil. Put new filter on and tighten as prescribed.
8. Roll back under the boat and replace cap on hose.
9. Refill engine with oil. Once filled, restart motor and ensure oil pressure goes back up to normal. Turn off engine and check oil level. Pull hose back into boat and store it out of the way.

Ok, that was the easy part. Now comes the hard part, or at least it will be hard on some of you.

Sunday
1. Listen to weather. High today 85, could be near new record high. Is this realy mid November?
2. Load gear in boat and family in Truck
3. Drive 1 hour to Belton Lake.
4. Launch boat.
5. Check water temperature, 65.7. Lake Austin is 60 degrees all the time. If the water is 65.7 then no problem.
6. Get board out. Get in the water(no wetsuit or dry suit needed).
7. Tell wife to go.
8. Begin wakeboarding.

May have to use the wet suit in a couple weeks. Will pull the dry suit out for Dec and Jan.

I hope step by step instruction will help some of you other properly winterize your boats too!!!

By WakemonsterRich (wakemonster) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 7:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
ha, winterizing? Sounds like you don't have much of a winter at 85 in November. Where I live (in SoCal), the nights wil get down in the low 20s and even lower sometimes... What is the best thing to do to avoid freezing and popping out freeze plugs in the motor, etc. Is there a way to drain out all the water in the block?

By WakemonsterRich (wakemonster) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 7:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
also, I went to Costco this weekend attempting to get one of those white car port enclosures they sell to park the boat in. Ha, they told me it's a seasonal item. Can't get one till like next March or so. I'm gonna see what other options I can find including building moy own car port...

By davidgree (davidgree1) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 7:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Put a heating blanket over the engine at night.

By Shawn (csquared) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 8:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Take a look at Overton's for the car port thing. They have a few different models at all different prices and they are offering free shipping for online orders over $150 right now (just put "FRSHIP" in the promotional code section of the online order form). Don't mean to sound like an advertisement...just got an e-mail from them this morning.

By A. P. (bigdad) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 10:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just bought the Overtons garage car port. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and the price wasn't too bad. I got the 10' X 27', added the full enclosure and tie down spikes and it came out to be $430 with shipping. Unfortunately the free shipping doesn't apply to oversized items like this one. Apparently its damn heavy too. 189 lbs.

By Razzman (razz) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 1:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sam,
The sacrifices we make for the sport we love...We had some north winds and light rain this weekend. The unusually cold weather forced my wife to wear a neoprene top under her vest. I toughed it out in boardshorts. Average air temp 78 degrees and average water temp 78 degrees. Despite the "winter-like" weather we rode all three days this weekend. I completed a similar winterizing procedure about two weeks ago. Enjoy your winter riding!
Aloha,
Paul

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 2:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wakemonster- Assuming you have an outlet near. Get a trouble light and put a 40-60 watt bulb in it. Put trouble light in engine compartment preferably in the bottom/hull since heat rises. Plug in light and no worries. I set mine on a timer. It rarely freezes in Castaic but it just takes once. Also if you have a heater in the boat, make sure it is drained or you have heat near it. Those things have thin walls and freeze/crack real easy.

By Haps (haps) on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 6:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I got my portable carport thing at Wal-mart. it's 11x20. Costco had them as well but the frame was wood. The one at Walmart used steel tubing for the frame. I had to get them to orde rit but they did. Only cost $369CAN

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com