hard to steer Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » hard to steer « Previous Next »
By Michael Gilbert (heirborn) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 7:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Took the boat out for the first time in almost 2 months and my wife pulls the boat up to the dock and is having a real hard time steering it. Went ahead and went riding. After a good long ride I fell, she comes back to pick me up and I said "I'm done", she said "yes you are". Her arms were about to fall off from steering. Came home and greased the rudder but it did not help. The wheel does seem to have more play than normal and it is pretty tight. Is there an adjustment or is there something else that needs to be greased? The boat is a 2000 Centrurion and I believe the control is a teleflex.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 9:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sounds like it is time to replace the steering cable. They are a pain to get in and out. When you remove it tie a rope to the end so you have something to pull the new cable. I replaced mine a month ago. They cost around $90.00

By Joe Sellhausen (joesell) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 3:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with phaeton, I had the the same problems with my old boat. A new cable and a few hours should take care of all your problems.

By Paul (paublo) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 6:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had the exact same problem with the steering getting progressively harder. My dealer suggested trying to clean and relube before replacing. I cleaned out the tube piece near the rudder connection and applied a liberal amount of white lithium grease. This solved my problem and saved the cost of a new cable. There was a build-up white crusty deposits that was creating the friction in my steering.

It is worth a try before buying the cable- good luck.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com