Brake Coupler Trailer Parking Warning... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Brake Coupler Trailer Parking Warning !!- « Previous Next »
By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 7:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think this happened to mine

Brake Coupler Trailer Parking Warning !!

When parking a trailer EQUIPPED with HYDRAULIC SURGE BRAKES it is important to be sure that the BRAKE COUPLER is pulled back forward to the fully telescoped [ TOWING ] position prior to final disconnecting of the trailer from the tow vehicle.

[ 1 ] Any HYDRAULIC BRAKE COUPLER that has a cast iron master cylinder, and is left with the brake coupler partially, or fully compressed [ as it would be when backing up ], will have part of the interior of the cast iron master cylinder wall exposed to the atmosphere.

Many times this will result in corrosion of the exposed cast iron cylinder wall, and will result in the fact that the piston in the master cylinder will not extend back to it's normal towing position the next time the trailer is towed.

This will result in hydraulic pressure being maintained on the trailer brakes, while towing, and will probably result in damage to the trailer braking system. This could result in a catastrophic accident !!

This phenomenon does not normally occur in brake couplers with COMPOSITE or ALUMINUM master cylinders, however it is a good policy to be sure that the brake coupler is fully extended to the towing position prior to disconnecting the trailer from the tow vehicle.

[ 2 ] A second reason to be sure that the brake coupler is fully extended to the towing position is that if hydraulic pressure is left on the trailer brakes while parked, the brakes shoes of a drum brake system, or the brake pads of a disc brake system will be maintained in FULL contact with the brake drum, or rotor. Many times this will result in the bonding [ sticking ] of the shoes or pads to the co-ordinate braking surface.

This will often result in a trailer that has the brakes locked up when the tow vehicle is attached. Sometimes jerking the trailer forwards, and backwards is enough to break the corrosion bond that has developed however sometimes the brakes must be disassembled to relieve the problem.

[ 3 ] SAFETY FIRST --- BE SURE THE BRAKE COUPLER IS FULLY EXTENDED BEFORE DISCONNECTING FROM THE TOW VEHICLE.

THIS MESSAGE IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY CHAMPION TRAILERS

By Whit (whit) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 6:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good info to know--thanks Bob! I always knew to make sure it was exteneded--just never the why.

By JBIRD (oldkid) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 8:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I learned that to after not being able to get the
coupler off the hitch.Of cource not till after
cranking the trailer up & down numerous times in
110 degree weather,trying to break it free.

By Rick H (blastmaster) on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 8:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
This is exactally what happened to mine this season. When I hooked up to it I could feel the brakes dragging & couldn't get to release. I finally unhooked the tube where it connects to the master cylinder. Too late, I ended up cooking the brakes,hubs,etc.. Luckily didnt ruin spindles on axle. Cost me $700 to cut and replace the coupler, 2 complete backing plates and 2 hubs with new bearings. This was an intermittendt problem @ first and they wolud release sometimes and sometime not.

By Bob (bob) on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 10:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
we'll put this back at the top for one more go round, since the board is so busy these days

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com