Charging dual batteries with perko sw... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 09, 2007 » Charging dual batteries with perko switch « Previous Next »
By Druffel (dedicatedwse) on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The boat I purchased this fall has dual batteries run through a standard perko switch. I have a few questions regarding charging the batteries during the winter (without disconnecting the battery cables).

Assuming the perko switch is properly wired...

...can I charge each battery individually when the perko switch is turned to "off"?

...can I charge both batteries at the same time with the perko switch turned to "all"?

The logical answer to both questions seems to be "yes", but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. My gut also tells me that even if I can charge them at the same time, it would be better to charge them individually.

Thanks in advance!

By chris williams (audiopro74) on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yes

By David Ericson (sea_ray_dave) on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You charge the batteries individually using a battery charger(s) with the Perko in the off position. I am using two Schumacher Ship N Shore chargers. They are smart chargers and they cost 39.95 at Autozone/O'Reillys. They will charge up to 10 amps then monitor the battery so it can be left on the battery as a maintainer. Just check the batteries water levels monthly.

The 1, 2 or All selection just chooses which battery will be the starting battery(s) and also which battery(s) will get the charge when the boat is running.

Don't ever turn the Perko to off while the boat is running- it can blow the alternator.

By Louis Teague (loux2) on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I put mine in the "both" position and charge both at the same time. I put the charger on the 1st battery and both get charged at the same time. In three years I have not had a problem. I would also like to know if anyone knows a reason not to charge both at once.

By Phillip Van Every (boss210) on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
through away the perco switch & go with a battery isolator if you only have tow battries. If you have room add a additional battery for the radio and then use the perco switch for the tow of them, & go with a total seperate battery for the enging. Way better setup than with a perco alone. That way you have got the perco for your radio batterys and the isolator to switch so you dont have to worry about running the radio too long and not being abel to start your boat.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com