Homegrown Illusion tower Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through October 15, 2006 » Homegrown Illusion tower « Previous Next »
By Jeff L (wakeboardaddy) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
here is some pics of my tower on 89 sunsetter, built it myself. what do you think? I know it aint the real thing, but neither is my boat.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

By entrust clothing (entrustclothing) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
dude that looks really good! i think it flows with the boat really well! good job

By Festivus Maxximus (festivus) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I 2nd that, nice work. I could never pull that off...

By Team CBK (cbk) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Awesome job! Looks like you should be earning money building towers.

By Nate (norcalmalibu) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
dam sweet tower and super clean 89!

By Darcy (air_warrior) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 4:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Awesome work Jeff!!

By Charlie (c_rundell) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 5:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Very impressive. Nice job Jeff!!

By Craig Stra... (yosquire) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 5:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
wow.

By  matt c (curtisco24) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 5:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That looks great man.

By Rich G (rich_g) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 6:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
that is awesome work. Did you reinforce it underneath? I'm also wondering if it might be a good idea to have a mounting pad on the top, between the fiberglass and the metal. When I installed a factory tower on my last boat, it came with thick rubber pads; looked like conveyer belt material.

By Sparky Jay (wake_upppp) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 6:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Darn nice job there!

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 6:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kudos Kudos Kudos!!! Madd props to ya man! Very impressive for a homemade tower.

By Jeff L (wakeboardaddy) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 6:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Rich, I did run tubes bolted to floorboard for reinforcement, thanks for the advice on the rubber pads, will do that when I pull it off this winter to powdercoat. thanks to all for the positive comments, maybe it was worth all the work!

By Kristin Ware (kristin_ware) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 7:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
WOW!!!!! That is the best looking homemade tower I have seen. Looks real sweet.

By GD (greatdane) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 7:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I like it better than malibu's tower!

Put another cross member on there for more board racks and I would choose it over the current BU tower.

Excellent work!

By richard coop (mendo247) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 7:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
well done! very nice.. how much time do you have in it??

(Message edited by mendo247 on October 01, 2006)

By Craig Stra... (yosquire) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is the Malibu logo at the base cut in with a CNC machine? That logo makes the tower look stock...Like they offered an illusion tower in 89. Plus the tower styling fits the styling of the boat, so it all goes together really well. I've looked at this thread 3 times today and have been impressed each time.

By Greg w (whitie) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Put some clear coat ont it, that aluminum look is sweet.

By patrick mcconville (jetskiprosx) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 9:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
powder coat the tower gray, strip off the malibu sun (as much as I love the classic look it just doesn't flow with the gray/white/black going on) and your boat will look sick!!!

By Kenny (ghostrider_2) on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
great job!!

By Jim Aikins (ccryder) on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 6:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That looks awesome! Does the bimini still fit or is that the next step in the project?

By Bling-it" (grant_west) on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 8:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks great. Go's with the boat well. Nice job

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 8:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is awesome seeing people build their own stuff, yet still make it look professional. Great job, it really makes the boat look like the tower came stock.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on October 02, 2006)

By C.I.E.....Evan (guido) on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 8:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Congrats!! You do killer work. I'd definitely get some pads under it, otherwise you might end up with some stress cracking.

By Randy (dudeman) on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 8:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Great job Jeff. You definitely have some mad skillz.

By Jeff L (wakeboardaddy) on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 9:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
was thinking med gray powder coat or the charcoal to match stripes on boat. like the aluminum, but nothing else on the boat is brushed alum. yes, the bimini is next project the original doesn't fit any more, plus it was to low anyway. thanks for all the great input

By Jeff L (wakeboardaddy) on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 9:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh yeah, I had a local machine shop scan and cnc the malibu logo for the gussets. also going to have them make a custom billet shift knob.

By Kevin McGuirk (ktmwakeboarder) on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 8:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
uber nice :-)

By Eric (wakeboardin2k4) on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 9:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
that tower is amazing. That really looks like something you could sell and make a ton of money on. How much did the whole project cost you?

By Jon (jon4pres) on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 9:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Very cool. Was the square stock hard to bend? I built a tower and found it to be alot of work. Nice. I agree that if you add modern grahics or take off the old ones your boat will look like new.

By Eric (wakeboardin2k4) on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 12:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you went all black, with red pinstripes on that boat and then powder coated the boat black it would be insane, but i would say just removing the old graphics and adding newer ones would make a huge difference

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 6:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Awesome job! Just posted it to www.diytower.com. Please add more pics to this thread, especially anything you did underneath. By far the most innovative DIY tower made to date.

By Jeff L (wakeboardaddy) on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 10:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
wow! even the monster likes it. I was seriously having my doubts about posting pics of my project, just because sometimes this site can be, well, brutally honest. As far as cost goes I spent more than I ever imagined I would. I used 6061 1/4" aluminum 2" square (needed the thickness so I could round over the corners with a router. swivel pylon, skylon boardracks (which I dont care for) button head stainless bolts. total materials about $1,100 bucks and about 50 man hours. I have a hydraulic roller I used to roll the tubes, wasn't to bad. here is crude drawing of mount system. pictures would not show much, bcause the mounts are hidden.Upload

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com