Trunk Of Funk Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through October 15, 2006 » Trunk Of Funk « Previous Next »
By Bling (grant_west) on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 10:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wanted to shift the weight of my battery bank
(252 lbs) from the front of the boat to the rear. My boat with out weight in the rear rides very bow heavy, I just dont like having to fill a fat sack in the trunk just so when Its just me and my wife riding in the boat it drives correctly.
I found a space in the trunk where I can stack the batterys and even out the weight. I started this morning lets see how long it takes to do. Ill have to make and re r-un my battery cables.
Here are some pic's of how my boat rides, Low in the front
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

By Peter Sharp (gobigorgohome) on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It's a little bit difficult to make out angles etc, but are those the batteries (grey in color) on their sides? If so, do you know that they're allowed to be on their sides? I thought that only Optima/spiral cell gel batteries can be installed at anything other than upright (and these look like normal batts to me).

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

By Bling (grant_west) on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The batterys are AGM sort of like Optima/spiral cell gel batteries. These AGM's can be mounted in almos any position except upside down. Here is the trunk floor templet Upload

Here is a pic of how my batterys used to be mountedUpload

By Bling (grant_west) on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 2:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload
Upload

By Luciano Grimblat (luchog) on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 3:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
do you think it is wise to block the path to the that bilge area??

anyway, your bilge is incredibly shiny!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 3:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah,

I am very happy to see the bling-bling to go anti-submarine! Now I will be able to put the Hotties in the bow when I pull you riding, much better than in the back, like we did at New Melones last time.

Sorry we missed you yesterday.

M

By richard coop (mendo247) on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 6:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good to see you back to work on your boat!

By Bling (grant_west) on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 6:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Luciano: I have way more access to my bilge then the way the boat came from the factory. The factory balast tanks that I took out, took up 1/2 the of trunk and only gave me like 400 lbs of balast and coverd the bilge in a way that it would take about 5 hrs to get to the area your see in the 4th pic. The New trunk floor splits in 2 peices so its easy to get in and out and can be taken out in a mater of min's. I have never needed to get back there except when I installed the pop up transom light. But I guess its a good thing to make it easyer to get to. If I ever had to replace repair anything back there it will be pretty easy.
Mike: Ya I was gonna wait till winter to do ths project but while towing my rig back from the lake I decided to just bust it out. Ive been a busy today.

By Michael Hayes (mhayes) on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 7:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So Grant, what do you do for ballast since you took the factory rear tanks out? Besides stereo equipment that is

By Bling (grant_west) on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 8:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 600lb fat sac that fill up when its just the 2 of us. When I have 3-4 out people it works just fine.

By Randall Arthur (rbalan) on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 7:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant,
Is there room for a bigger, custom sac in there? If so, could you post the dimensions?

By Bling (grant_west) on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
When I took the stock balast tanks out I gained like 8-10 inches deep all the way across the trunk giving me like twice the room back there.
I think I have a Skylon fat sac. Its square shaped it might be a locker sac. When I run that sac there is still lots of room for the rest of my gear life vests anchor tools ect. If I ran a larger custom sac I guess I could fit 1000 lbs of water balast back there no problem. I just dont like taking up all of my storage. I guess with removing the battersy from up front Ill free up some storge and I could store my anchor and ropes & bouys up front now.

By Marcus Rose (trainwreck) on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 2:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
THAT is a beautiful boat. Love that color scheme. Looks like you have some good looking passengers as well! :-)

I'd be intersted to know more about your stereo setup as well!

By richard holmgren (gundogg) on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 3:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant's stereo is on his website...

http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/

By Bling (grant_west) on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 6:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok I finished the "Trunk Of Funk" conversion today.
I moved 250 lbs of batteys from the front to the back without taking up my presious storage space, And made more room up front. Its to bad the space up front didnt work out. The space in the front of the boat gets wet pretty easy and worked well for the batterys Upload
Upload
Upload

By Craig Stra... (yosquire) on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 6:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks good.. Is that floor raised? It appears to be raised about 4 inches.

By Bling (grant_west) on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 7:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
N its only raised the thickness of the MDF 3/4 of a inch

By Luke (lukeduke95) on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 7:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey G

Is that tan thing your fuel tank? I have this same problem with my boat now, with 4 bluetops in the front, the front rides pretty low. But I dont have the rear compartment like yours does.

Maybe I will just balance it out with some POP bags. hmmm, that may work. Or make a box to fit all of the batteries in under the rear seat and actually have a proper rear seat for once.

By Bling (grant_west) on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 8:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I noticed that with the 300 pounds right at the very front of the boat it has a bigger effect than the same amount of weight at the rear of the boat. Example I think if you add 50 pounds of weight to the front corner you need to add 150 of weight in the rear aposing corner to off set it. The front seems very sencitive. You can add lots of weight to the rear of my boat and it dosent have much of a effect as far as a lean

By David (tparider) on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 9:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm not sure if I understand why you used the carpeted MDF on the floor if the batteries are on the sides of the boat near the transom?

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 9:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
David,

I just asked Grant the same question while were chatting on the phone tonight. The stock opening between the stringers was covered by the tanks, the tanks were covered by thin plastic pieces covered with carpeting. He needed to do the covers to add a solid floor above the steering gear. Grant loves working with MDF and resin. I am lazy, I would just have made the panels out of black 1/2" ABS from Tap and called it a done deal, but his solution probably looks nicer (plus stuff doesn't slide around on the carpet.

By Luciano Grimblat (luchog) on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 6:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant,
That weight effect you notice between bow and stern it's because of the hull water-surface were that weight appplies it's... "downward force".

In your boat over the centre and the stern the hull water surface is wider, (it's widest point would be amid-ship under the engine if i'm not wrong) on the front it is narrow and that is why weight on the front pushes the bow down easily.

It really ended up looking great and now you can have an extra perdon on the bow until go bow diving
Alohas!

(Message edited by luchog on August 30, 2006)

By Bling (grant_west) on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 7:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike is correct. I made the floor peice to cover the space between the stringers seen in the 4th pic. Mike how much do you think a peice of 1/2 inch ABS would cost. Im guessing it would be pretty expencieve. I get lots of my plastic from tap plastic and they RAPE you. Tri City Plastic in Fremont is way better than tap as far as price and service but its a long drive.
Luciano: Thanks for the explanaion I figured as much. Im curious to see if I gain the extra 1-2 MPH back that was some how lost after the instalation. Im guessing the extra weight helped push the bow down at top speed and make more of my boat sit/ drag in the water. I used to always be able to hit like 42 MPH. After I installed the batterys up there I could only go like 40 MPH It wasent a big deal because I dont spend much time at full throttle.

By Luciano Grimblat (luchog) on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
you may even get a few extra rpms

By Craig Stra... (yosquire) on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 4:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
until today, I haven't heard of a stereo slowing a boat down.

I wish my stereo was that cool.

By Aquaholic (zacharoo) on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 5:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why was the new floor piece needed unless it adds a knoch to hold the bat's in place?? I know its been said before but the stuff you do is... well it is first rate!

Zacharoo

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com