YASQ (yet another stereo question)... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » YASQ (yet another stereo question) « Previous Next »
By Rob Wilgus (robw) on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 6:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hi all,

If yet another stereo question is ok, I have been wanting to upgrade mine and would welcome some advice since I don't know what I am doing

I have a 99 Prostar 205 that came with a Clarion M5475 CD player(4x40W) and 4 CM1622 speakers (100W). Two speakers are in the bow area and two by the rear seat. I would like to to be able to hear some tunes when we are boarding and thought about adding an amp (Clarion APX400.4M ?), and two more speakers in the observer/driver area. Should the amp drive the 4 rear speakers, where is a good place to mount the amp (any MC owners have a pic?), do I need a bigger alt for the amp ??

Thanks in advance,
Rob

By Jay Rudd (jdr) on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 7:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I do not think you will be able to hear the tunes while riding by only adding more speakers to the inside of the boat. You really need tower speakers to be able to hear them behind the boat (it's that whole directional thing). As far as a place to mount the amp, behind the observer's seat is normally a good spot. As for the alternator, no you shouldn't need a new alternator to run only one 400w amp (I have 3 amps on the factory alternator with no problems). However, if you like to sit and listen to the tunes with the engine off, a separate battery is cheap insurance, an optima battery would be even better. I hope this helps!

By Jay Rudd (jdr) on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 7:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Also keep in mind, that clarion amp says its a "400w" amp, but it only puts out 50w x 4. I am currently using that same amp to run 6 - infinity kappas. It does sound good in the boat, but if I am only using it because it came with the boat. If I was starting from scratch, I don't think I would buy that amp or the Clarion speakers. If you really do want the Clarion speakers, I have 4 that are not being used and I would be willing to sell them, cheap.

By Rob Wilgus (robw) on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 12:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't have tower, just a pylon and did not want to try mounting speakers to it. Actually I am more interested in the folks inside the boat having better tunes when we are skiing/boarding.

So it would be better to run all 6 speakers from the amp and none from the source unit? How do you have that wired up?

By Jay Rudd (jdr) on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 1:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
No, problem hearing them in boat, in fact you should be able to hear it very well. In your case, you probably would be a little better off running two speakers from the head unit and the other 4 from the amp. I wired all 6 from the amp only because when Mastercraft installed the head unit they cut the wires too short to even use them. Again, I HIGHLY recommend the Infinity's over the Clarions. Swapped out all of the factory Clarion's and put in 4 - 6 1/2" Kappas, and two 4" Kappas, GREAT improvement.

By KC (desertrover) on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jay, where did you put the 2 4" Kappas? I have an MC X30. I assume you replace the 4 clarion speakers from their stock locations with the 6.5" Kappas. BTW, any local car radio store will sell you a new wiring harness for the head unit and its quite simple to install.

KC

By Jay Rudd (jdr) on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 1:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
KC, Yes, I put the 6 1/2's in the factory locations and I put the 4" up on the dash on each side of the walk through. They really help with the sound for the driver and observer. On the harness, I actually called MC and they sent me a new harness, it all sounds good the way it is and I really haven't felt like changing it.

By Bob (bob) on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 2:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Rob if your getting a 4 channel amp consider driving 4 speakers off the two channels and driving a sub off the other two

By wakeman (skihardkore) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 6:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
KC, do you have pics of that dashboard install?

By KC (desertrover) on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 8:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wakeman,
I need to make the switch like Jay. Jay, could you post some pics of your install?

KC

By wakeman (skihardkore) on Friday, November 22, 2002 - 5:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yes, please do

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com