Opinions on tow vehicles...what do yo... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Opinions on tow vehicles...what do you have?. « Previous Next »
By Mike (k2rider) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 12:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
OK, I love the boat photos but would love to see some of the trucks/vehicles you use to tow them. What is your opinion on your truck and is there a vehicle would you rather have?

I'm looking for some input on our next vehicle. We have a 2001 Ford Supercrew (5.4L) and get about 8-9 mpg while towing the Malibu VLX. Coming back from Laughlin this weekend, uphill and against a headwind, I actually dipped below 7 mpg on one tank.

I've narrowed my choices for a new vehicle down to a 2003.5 Ford Super Duty with the new 6.0L diesel -or- 2003 GMC Sierra Duramax Diesel -or- 2003 Chevy Z71 Suburban which has the 5.3L V-8.

Any thoughts?

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 12:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'd suggest you ask Swass. -- or LSVLance --

By steveaz (steveaz) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Forget the 5.3L, while it does okay it doesn't even compare to the others you're considering. If you've considered them and driven them, you'll regret not buying them later.

As far as the new 6.0 by Ford, can't say anything about it but if this is going to be a purchase you'll be making soon you'll have to wait for the Ford and even when it does come out, you'll be paying premium dollar for it.

Personally I like the Chevy, JMO. I like the way they drive, the performance, and the interior. Not to mention they've been out for a couple of years now and some pretty good deals can be had. (I'm waiting until the factory incentives get a little better for the 03's and I'm there.

By swass (swass) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was told the 6.0 PS won't be available until '04. Is that the same as a 2003.5?

I have not towed yet with mine, but I hope to this weekend.

By swass (swass) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree w/ Steve. If you're going to buy a new one, you should go with a diesel.

(Message edited by swass on September 17, 2002)

By Todd (wake_fun) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What about a 3/4 Ton Suburban with the 8.1 in it? Lot's of room and plenty of torque.

By thane_dogg (thane_dogg) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My next truck WILL be a DURAMAX.

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Expedition w/PSD

By Porter (mikep) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The '02/'03 Escalade is so nice for towing...345 Horsepower and automatic load leveling....Towing at 80 MPHs with the big smooth ESCO is nice!

By swass (swass) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll pit my 525 lb./ft. of torque against your 345 hp any time!**

**I'm doing the Tim "Tool Man" Taylor grunt.

By matt moss (mossy44) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
swass, what do you pull your boat with? just curious.

By Porter (mikep) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ya Swass, but do you have the "BLING!BLING!" factor rolln'? :-)

By swass (swass) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
2002 F250 PS Crew Cab Short Bed

By Noel Louthan (noel) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How about the new 3/4 ton Suburban with 4 wheel steering? It's only available with the 6.0 liter gas engine. I'm going to get one of these as soon as the lease is up on my expedition.

By Keith F (keithf) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
IMO, diesel = stinky/noisy launch and retrieval for the peeps in the boat.

Get a big gas engine and suck it up (the MPG that is) when towing or just hauling A$$.

Here's mine - F350 V10 - 'scuze the crappy pic.

My work truck. Yeah, yeah. Get's me to work and back.

By David Williams (wakeworld) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's the WakeWorld Rig - Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab with 4 inch lift.
WakeWorld Rig

By David Frederick (dfred) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the Suburban you are looking at and my Dad has the Duramax. Both pull great. I think the last I checked I got 13-14 MPG pulling the X. That was at about 70-80mph. My Dad has been getting about 16-17 pulling the boat. Both are great around town as well. I've been getting about 15 in town and 18-19 on the highway. I think my dad has hit 21 on the highway a couple of times as well. You won't regret either one.

By shane (auto) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 3:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a f-250 PSD 4x4 SuperCrew with short bed, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust, Superchips 80HP, and a host of other cool stuff. Get an actual 16.5 going down the road, 14 loaded. GMC has a nicer interior, I would be hesitant knowing GM's rep with diesels. Look at what all the RV'ers pull with, Cummins or PSD. Just mho. Let me add I qualify for under the employee purchase plan for GM, I bought a PSD.

By Funkster (isaac_funk) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 3:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok guys you shouldn't really be towing at 70-80mph!!That is not good for any part of your tow rig or trailor. I have a mid 90's suburban and Z71 ex cab w/ 4 inch lift.They both tow great but the suburban get better gas millage.

By Mike (k2rider) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 4:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the input so far.

I **trust** the Ford the most. According to all kinds of sources I've read at Ford-Diesel.com, the 6.0 is right on schedule for a late November launch.

I like the looks of the Duramax the best, especially the interior, but have read about several **issues** with that engine/Allison combo. I'm hoping they have it worked out by the 2003 model.

The 2 reasons I'm willing to consider the Suburban is my friends I do most of our trips with both have them and DESTROY me is gas mileage and one of them is pulling a heavier Tige boat. The other is the option for the 2nd row bucket seats to keep the crumb snatchers from fighting with each other.

In any case, this will be an April 2003 purchase. I gotta have it for the annual Powell run and my registartion on the crrent truck expires in May.

By Knee Brace Boy (wstr01) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 4:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just put a hitch put on my 2002 Mini Cooper S model. Getting ready to pull the Wakesetter to Powell in October. I'll let you know how it goes.

Funkster, if you're heading to Powell, via Las Vegas, when I'm on the road, get you're 55 mph butt out of my way! The Mini likes to fly!!!

Is it April 1st yet?

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 4:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Knee- Lets see those pics.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 4:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an 02 Yukon with the 5.3 in it. I was a little worried about the power until I drove it. It has plenty. I have pass all the big three disels while pulling the boat up hills with no problems. The draw back is gas mileage. We average 9.7 on the way to Shasta which has a few hills.

By steveaz (steveaz) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 4:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've been following the Duramax's on GM-diesel.com and there aren't that many reports of failures but there are a couple that I've seen. Of course, on that site PSD's are a piece. Yeah whatever...I do like the 100K warranty on the Duramax drivetrain though.

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 4:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I use a '94 F150 reg cab/short bed 4x4 with a trusty 351. It works great. but I live in flat land. I would not want to use it in mountains like in cali. mileage isn't that great, and it only has a 15 gal tank. but it is perfect for towing the 3 miles each way i have to go, and is good for tight turning in my driveway.

By Sean M (magic) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 5:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I tow with a 3/4 ton 'Burban 4x4 with 7.4L (454) engine.

Tows great, whats gas mileage?

I get about 14, sometimes 15mpg not towing on the freeway and about 9 to 10 mpg towing.

Love the power though, it just pulls hard from very low rpms.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It's funny to hear how the big blocks are getting the same if not better mileage than the smaller motors. I have never gotten below 10 mpg with my 8.1L in a K2500 Suburban towing, and I hammer on my throttle. I get about 15 mpg not towing on the freeway, and 10 mpg in heavy traffic and around town.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 8:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Peter my old tow vehicle a 95 Tahoe running 38" tires with a 325 hp 5.7ltr would get 11 towing. Like I said the new Yukon gets 9. The problem with the 5.3 ltr is it makes all the power in the high rpms. The old 5.7 would barely get to 4000 rpm the 5.3 runs up to 6000 rpms. The trany has a tow mode which keeps the motor up in the higher rpm range which makes it use alot more fuel. The Yukon would run circles around the old Tahoe though.

By swass (swass) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 5:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
But...but...but, now I CAN tow at 70 mph!!!!

What will I damage towing at highway speed?

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 6:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nothing. Plenty of bugs to be scraped off. They hit at 70 and really splatter the windshield and tower ;)

I actually get the best mileage around 68 - 75 towing.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 6:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nothing wrong with towing at 70-80 mph.......sounds like towing-at-speed envy to me!!!

The main question to answer when deciding on either diesel or big block gas engines is "How much of the driving time is going to be actually towing?"

I tow about 5% of the time and the rest of the time my 2500 HD with the 8.1 is a daily driver. I think Steve said he'd tow about 50% of the time and that definitly warrants spending the extra upfront coin on a diesel. The way I figured it, it would take me 100,000 to 125,000 miles to save enough fuel with the diesel to make up for the extra upfront cost and I probably won't keep the truck that long.

My suggestion is to get whatever configuration of a vehicle (truck, crew cab, Suburban) that fits your comfort needs best and put the biggest gas engine in it if you tow less than 25% of the time or a diesel if you tow more. In order to do that, it will have to be a 3/4 ton vehicle and you will love the ride, the brakes, and the ease with which it will tow your boat.

BTW......I'd suggest a GM product!!!!

By David Elliott (dwe) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 7:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Peter,

I have the same rig, '01 K2500 Subruban with the 8100 and we love it. My mileage at first was in the 8 to 9 MPG range so it sounds like your are doing well with yours. Mine is a 4x4. When we go on the road we are always heavy and pull the boat between 70-80. Plenty of power and room in the Sub.

Mike,

Good luck with keeping the crumb catchers from fighting. The best way is seperate cars.

DWE

By Claudius (sledgehammer) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 7:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've really got to hand it to GM.

I tow a tandem (4000 #) with a 1989 S-15 Jimmy 4X4 (4.3L, 171000 miles) and hardly even overheat the motor (230 degrees on hills). It's got a big tranny cooler and synthetic trans fluid (you should get!) and an engine oil cooler. It gets 10 mpg going 65 -70 and only slows down to 45 on some of the Texas rolling hills before it bumps down to second gear. Hold it in second let it build up to 4K and shift up, you crest the hill at 60 to do it all over again. Sort of fun.

The 4X4 is essential on the ramps, otherwise on wet ramp may launch trailer and car.

I get a lot of looks on the highway, 20 foot boat being towed by tiny SUV.

Your wouldn't believe the maneuverability, I've heard that the Yukons/Tahoes are also very maneuverable.

P.S. -I do have major trailer brakes.

By vortech347 (vortech347) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 7:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
2001 F250 x-cab 4x4 Powerstroke. I drove a Duramax but liked the Ford's interior and more solid feel.

Part of the reason you don't see many complaints on the Duramax site is because the webmaster deletes negative posts over there. On the Ford diesel site they don't censor posts so you see more complaints.

There is a reason the Ford Super Duty is the best selling brand out there. Plain and simple they do a better job on the whole truck. Dodge has the great engine but a subpar truck wrapped around it. Chevy has the nice ride and nice looks but their independent front end is questionable for long term durability and their engine/transmission combo is unproven. Ford has a great engine, so so transmission, nice exterior and interior and the toughest suspension setup.

As far as the gas vs. diesel argument goes just look at my example.

I traded a 99 F150 2wd w/5.4l for my Super Duty PSD. In town daily driving I went from 14.5mpg to 16.5mpg and towing I improved from 9-10mpg to 12+mpg. That's with a truck that is 4wd and weighs 2000 pounds more.

The loud and stinky argument for diesels is silly. They are not very loud anymore and you can only smell the exhaust if you right next to the tailpipe. Besides that turbo whine is music to my ears.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 7:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Figure the dollar savings of 2 - 3 mpg compared to the extra upfront cost of a diesel. It will scare you. Then add in the extra expense of maintenance on that diesel. Your comparsion is not a real good one anyway as they are two really different trucks. The real question is, which one do you like towing your boat with better???

BTW..... vortech347, are you telling me that you don't have to shut your truck off at a drive up window to hear what the order taker is saying back to you?

:-)

By Claudius (sledgehammer) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 7:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
A friend mentioned to me that GM had a 6 liter option in the Yukons in addition to the 5.3 and 8.? offerings. Is this not true? I hadn't heard anything about it. A 6 liter engine in a 4X4 Yukon with the extra seats in back for the crumb warriors would be a maneuverable powerful gasoline powered tow vehicle.

By Lars F. Haugstad (larsfh) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 7:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My tow-beast! This baby can tow the rig in 70mph - downhill.

Honda power

By Tom V (x10) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 8:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The 6 liter is standard in the 3/4 ton and not available in the 1/2 ton model. We have the 8.1 in our '02 Suburban and love it. We get 10-12MPG combined city/highway/towing.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 8:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The 6.0 lt. will get the job done. Not as easily as teh 8.1, but it is miles ahead of the 5.3 in the torque department. If I was to get a 6.0 lt, I'd make sure it had a 4:10 gear in it.

By swass (swass) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 8:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here it is. It looks like a toy compared to Keith's.

F250 PSD

By Matt Sherick (mttsher) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 8:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My dad has a 94 Dodge Dually 1 ton with cummings diesle and gets 14MPG towing our boat it weighs 3000#'s and I hear the newer ones are even better, ton's of power with a 5 speed, I love driving that thing.

-Matt

By vortech347 (vortech347) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 10:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Lance, it takes between 80-100k miles to break even with the diesel. But that does not take into account the added resale value. The $4000 upgrade cost to a diesel is nearly all returned in resale value. Basically, the diesel engine holds a higher percentage of resale value than the rest of the truck so you get back most of what you spent at trade-in.

Yes I do have to shut off the engine at the drive-thru but if that is your primary criteria for not buying a diesel then I say you got your priorities a little off.

The F150 towed the boat fine but you knew the boat was back there and slippery boat ramps were not fun. The F250 barely knows the boat is back there and slippery boat ramps are no big deal. Not to mention the fact that everyone I know says "Cool" when I tell them what I drive.

By shane (auto) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 10:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If concerned about the price of diesel, look at the resale of the diesels, higher than the gas, by almost the same amount of the higher cost. I have a buddy who was a V-10 Ford, and he gets a true 9-10, and I get a tru 14.5 and 16.5, not internet miles. Buy what ya want, but the diesel is great for resale and longevity. I have done no maintenace besides a large trans cooler, changing fluids, and I have 69K miles. Buy the best you can afford and like

By Steve (steveb7) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 10:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
for 2003 you can get the 6.0 in a half ton if you get the new ss model. It is slightly lowered and a few other performance mods.

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 11:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I posted all my problems with my 95 Yukon in May... Update I've had to throw another 575 bucks into it last week, starter, timing ect. Different shop this time but they told me the same thing. Don't drive any newer chevy truck over 100,000km (60,000 miles) because they fall apart. Well I didn't want to believe the last mechanic who told me to sell it after the transfer case and Diff went out on the way to pick up my boat in May. I'm listening now.

So the truck I've been looking at is the F150 supercrew with the 5.4L engine. Towing capacity is 6600 pounds. Does anyone have this type of truck out there or can offer an opinion on it? I have to have the Super crew because the regular extended cabs are just too small in my opinion. Can't afford the F250 they run around 50,000 and I can't justify paying that much for a truck.

Pat (X GMC guy)

By Tim Krasin (tim) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 12:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok, here's my rig. 2002 PSD with 4" lift. The bigger tires reduced the fuel economy a little, but improved the looks (IMO). Love the smell, sound, turbo whine, and most of all the POWER. It's stock right now.
Pat, the F-150 Screw is a great looking truck also and the additional rear seat space is very nice compared to the extended cab. The 5.4 will get the job done, but won't set any uphill speed records. The F-250/350 really isn't $50k - look up invoice prices on Edmunds.com or elsewhere and you'll find the Superduties aren't that much more, then just add the diesel (that increases the $$$ - but worth it).

By Tim Krasin (tim) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 12:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh ya, Keith's truck up above is plenty powerful also with the v-10. One benefit of the gasser versus the diesel is the immediate throttle response gas engines have. The v-10 isn't horrible with fuel economy either.

By steveaz (steveaz) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 12:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's a pretty pimp setup Tim. Do you let your kids out after dark in that neighborhood...I wouldn't.

By swass (swass) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 1:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pat, you can get a new F250 in the 35K to 38K range. Retail price for mine wasn't anywhere near 50K.

BTW, it is NOT true that you'll get your 4K PSD upgrade back at resale. A 25% return is more realistic.

By swass (swass) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 1:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've told this story before, but I went to Powell a few years ago with a guy I work with. He was towing a Calabria behind his '97 PSD, and his buddy was pulling a Sanger behind a '99ish F250 supercharged V10. It was no contest. The diesel left him in the dust through the mountains.

By vortech347 (vortech347) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 1:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Canada Swass, can you say Canada? Sorry, just busting your chops a little.

Pat, the Supercrew would be fine but your mileage will not be any better than a V10 Super Duty and the Super Duty will have better resale. The price difference between a V10 Super Duty and a F150 Supercrew is not much if cost is a concern.

Also, right now with the market being sluggish there is no reason to pay more than invoice for any vehicle.

If you can wait a year you can join http://www.eaa.org and get Ford x-plan pricing. They require you to be a member for a year to get the benefit.

Swass, not according to the guys over at Ford Diesel. It's more like 75% for a truck less than 5 years old.

By Claudius (sledgehammer) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 1:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, to own a GM, you gotta be able to do the maintanance yourself if you're going to keep it more than 75000 miles.

By maintanance I also include things like starters, water pumps, alternators etc......

By swass (swass) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 1:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I stand corrected. I did an NADA report for a 2001 (the latest year that data is available) and the PSD option was listed at about 75% of retail.

By Jason Thayer (jtfrisco) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 1:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Claudius and Pat...

Not to start a chevy VS. Ford thing but for every bad one there is a good one.. I have a 95' chevy Z-71 with 185,000 miles on it and it has never once been into the dealership for repairs. It has had a boat hooked up to it since I bought it in 1995 and the engine still runs strong. The only thing replaced has been brakes, and the AC control module ($100 part). Again, not starting a war, just pointing out there is always a good along with a bad, no manufacturer is perfect so there will always be problems with ALL vehicles at some point. Later.

By Claudius (sledgehammer) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 2:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jason, look back farther.......I tow with a '89 4.3 that has 171000 on it. I love the hell out of it and trust it utterly, but I my list of "lifetime replacement" parts at autozone is as long as your' arm - they probably have given me more parts than I've bought. In retrospect this ought to tell me something about where I buy my parts huh?

Anyway, I like you don't want to be in the middle of a Ford versus Chevy fight but in my opinion GM makes better gasoline motors and Ford makes better bodies and paint jobs. I don't know anything about the diesels.

By Jason Thayer (jtfrisco) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 2:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
No problem Claudius... If I had the money I would buy a f-250 PS but I don't so I have to stick with my 95 chevy... I have to say this though, the chevy brakes are POS in my opinion, especially in the 4x4's. I love it though, still get 15 mpg even with that many miles on it.

By Claudius (sledgehammer) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 2:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Also Jason, are you sure you haven't forgotten replacing a starter, waterpump or alternator? Although, I have to admit that my compressor is still hanging in there - probably just doomed myself.

By Claudius (sledgehammer) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 2:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Also Jason, are you sure you haven't forgotten replacing a starter, waterpump or alternator? Although, I have to admit that my compressor is still hanging in there - probably just doomed myself.

By LSVLance (lsvlance) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 2:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I made the mistake of keeping my 1995 Dodge Ram too long. Not that the repair costs went way up in the later years, the resell value plumments after about 80,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. Especially in today's market of 0% financing on brand new stuff. 4 X 4 trucks (any of them) hold their value better than ANY other vehicle sold new, especially in the first 4 years or so. Using that example, the best theory is to replace them before they get in the higher mileage\older category. That way you don't get beat up on depreciation or repairs and you always get to drive a brand new, pimp, latest technology laden truck.

By Jason Thayer (jtfrisco) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 2:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Actually I replaced the Alternator a couple years ago, but that is it. As for resale value, a buddy of mine just traded in his 95 Z-71 which had 160,000 miles on it and they gave hime $8000 for it in trade, not to bad in my book considering it was paid for. My whole theory for keeping it is to buy a new one it would be about $600/month, well $600/month times 12 is equal to $7200/year. That is a whole lot of maintanence to justify that payment. I can replace the engine for about $2500 and that is still cheaper than a new one.. :-)

By Claudius (sledgehammer) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 3:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Don't make me think about that., it sure would be nice to have a cush Yukon Denali with the 6 liter gas engine and towing package.....maybe someday.

You're right, replacing the engine would be cheaper than buying a new one.

By scott robertson (apexanimal) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 4:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I know i'm about to start something here, but from what i've towed my 20 stingray with, i'd go with a one ton ram w/ either the v-10 or the cummins diesel, or if you like something smaller the durango w/ the 5.9 will tow like nothing is there, and the grand cherokee w/ the 4.7 h.o. engine is incredible. all get about 14-16 mpg.

By Bobby Mucic (bobbymucic) on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 4:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pat,

I have a 2001 supercrew f150 5.4 2wd.
Currently with 30K, and probably 7K of that is towing. Not a single problem yet, but I did get the extended warranty (but after paying less than invoice, I considered it extra insurance).

I get about 10 MPG, but my towing is pretty extreme, IMO...

Much of my towing is with the truck loaded with people and camping gear. My boat is a bit light than most wakeboard boats, but the camping gear for 6-10 people make up for it. Also, I tow up and down the "grapvine" (CA I5), which goes up and down ~ 3000 ft or more in about 60 miles or so.

Anyway, I am very happy with the truck and how much room it has. I'm sure the diesels are much better tow rigs, but mine is a daily driver for my 20 mi round trip commute.

If you get a supercrew, make sure the correct radiator is included in the tow package (some models got the thinnner radiator, then Ford had to pay-up, or change them).

As for cost analysis, I've always heard that after ~7 yrs, owning your car saves you big time money...if it is a reliable car. You can't sell it for much, but driving without payments saves you so much. For a gas truck, the towing may cause so many repairs down the line that you never get to save money. My plan is to sell my truck at ~5 yrs or ~70k miles, unless it is still trouble free. I figure the warranty will have just been up and any costs (like transmission) will cost at least a grand out of my pocket.

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 7:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the info, Tim when I say 50k, I was talking Cdn dollars here. I can't believe how much you guys are paying for trucks down south. I went onto ford.ca last night and you guys were right the F250 crew was only a couple of thousand more than the F150 crew. They priced out at 42K for the F250 V-10 and 40K for the F150. Thats MSRP as well so I believe they have about a 10-15% mark up on those numbers.

My question is why doesn't everyone from down south come up here to buy a truck? 42K for the F250 XLT translates to 27,000 u.s., about 10 grand less than what your paying for a new truck. Maybe we can get a little arb thing going here. I do know that buying a used truck here is almost more expensive than buying new because most of the trucks are being sold stateside.

By vortech347 (vortech347) on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pat, 27K US is about right for a F250 XLT Crew w/V10 down here as well.

By Wakemonster Rich (wakemonster) on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
my tow rig..... 94 Silverado, auto, 350 with Poweraid throttle body spacer, Airaid intake tube/filter, headers, 3 inch exhaust, 160 degree thermostat, 119k miles. Kinda struggles alittle going up the GrapeVine but other that then, it works great... I get about 19-20 highway, 15 towing.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 6:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wakemonster, are you towing in over-drive?

By Bob (bob) on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
my buddy just bought an f350 crew cab with the turbo deisel and it was only around 38000, new, no interest for 3 yrs (yes his payments are high but its his in three years), says the business is buying it

By swass (swass) on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 1:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just towed for the first time with my PSD on Sunday. WOW! WOW! WOW! I got about 14 mph.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 1:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow, I may have to upgrade. I only get about 12.

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 2:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heres my old rig and old boat at Lake Mojave with my sister and friends. Hope to have another before next summer. 12 bunks, 2 tv/vcrs, 15KW generator, Air conditioning, microwave etc. Detroit Diesel 350hp 9mpg towing or not. The bummer is I painted it black before I sold it, would have matched the new boat perfectly!!

By Tom V (x10) on Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 10:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Our 3/4 Ton YukonXL with the 8.1L is a great tow rig in every respect of comfort,ride, power and stopping. We tow up the Altamont and Highway 4 to Arnold with ease now. Used to tow with a 99 1/2 T Suburban with the 5.7L and there is no comparison to the power and torque I have now and I get the same gas mileage!

By NAW (ripr) on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 7:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My rig does just fine, it's nothing like your guys' Fords but it does the trick... Plus the resale value for these trucks in the midwest is pretty good! 96 Chevy Z-71, duals, HD towing pkg, 5th wheel hitch, airbag helper springs, 32" BFG's and 92k miles, runnin' strong..knock on wood...I replace little things here and there, but oh well....

By johnathan grady (pimpdaddygrady) on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 7:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
sumbody cant park...lol. na im just messin w/ ya dude. not sure bout da gas mileage but our 02 tahoe w/ a 5300 vortec (5.3 liter) tows our supra just fine. im sure the mileage isnt great but we only tow on the weekends...other than that its used to go everywhere else and it gets around 20 highway and 15 city.

By JEREMY EUBANKS (color_pros) on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 7:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My 1500 silverado 9 inches lift. 36" tires.5300 Vortech.It's not as good on gas as my 02 Yukon but w/the boat behind it it makes for a pretty pimped out package.

Jeremy

By Jason G (jason_ssr) on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 7:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I drive a 2003 Hummer H2 and it pulls as well as my friends with the SD's and diesels. Granted Dallas Tx. isnt exactly hill country (I think they calibrate those lil bubble carpentry tools here! HAHA!), so my experience isnt very well rounded. There isnt much difference in miliage between towing and not. I get around 11.5 towing, and 13.5 without. I dont do alot of towing but a fair amount. It has power to spare and 75-80 towing isnt a problem, nor is passing. Truck is comfy and Ive really liked it.

By Ryan B (atxwake) on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 8:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
01 Chevy Z-71. 305 rubbers, with the 5.3 Liter, get about 10 towing, 12 not, no problem at 80 mph, runs like a spotted a** ape!

By Richard B. (cws_kahuna) on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 10:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My truck is kinda like the last poster Ryan B.

I have a 2000 Chevy 2wd Std cab with the 4.8L and 3.73 gears with 31"tires. The truck pulls my boat great. Although now days those long pulls are only a block away or so. But when I go to the River or Lake Mead it does just fine. I too can pull at 70 - 80 MPH just like all those BIG Diesel Trucks. I really can't complain about this truck at all, it does a good job.

My next vehicle should be a Tahoe or Yukon with the 5.3L. I know a lot of people using this motor and it does just fine. Of course it's not going to be the same as the big diesels but they do a fine job.

By Sandy Vandebult (sandbag) on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 11:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My next truck will be a Chevy 3/4 or 1 ton Duramax
I uses to have a 1/2 t Tahoe with a 5.7 It did fine and prolly saved my life in a huge head-on collision (may she rest in peace)
But for now I tow with this:
I trade it every two years (lease)

(Message edited by sandbag on October 03, 2002)

By johnathan grady (pimpdaddygrady) on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 6:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
heres da rig....the tahoe works just fine though we dont have 2 travel on many hilly roads to get to da river.

tahoe and da launch

By johnathan grady (pimpdaddygrady) on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 6:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
sorry for da crappy pic...but its all i got

By dustin s (clay) on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 8:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I previously towed with a 97' Expedition, It did an awesome job but I totaled it out and bought a 99' Durango. It pulls better than anything I've ever tried. I does eat a crap load of fuel though. Car crittics say that the all the Durango is good for is towing alot weight. I recommend it.

By Tom Bugg (tombugg) on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 8:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
2001 Chevy 2500HD Crew cab! and LOVE IT!

By JEREMY EUBANKS (color_pros) on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 9:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grady,You going to Halloween at Hyco?

By BobbyB (bobbyb) on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 1:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 2001 f250 super duty 4inch lift and 35inch tires it also has the powerstroke motor and tows anything great.

By johnathan grady (pimpdaddygrady) on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 2:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey jeremy
wuts halloween at hyco?
r gonna b on da river 2morrow?

By JEREMY EUBANKS (color_pros) on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 2:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It's a huge party at hyco lake in Roxboro.Nothing but wakeboarders .Live band,free food,3 days of wake boarding and hanging out.We are camping out there.There are several post on this site about it.It's the last weekend this month.Wana go?We got room in our tent and the boat if your family aint down for it.

Ill be at the new river sat and the cape fear sun.\\

Jeremy

By Porter (mikep) on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 3:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The only way to roll...
esco

By Rod Rinnert (deltahoosier) on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 4:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Stay away from the Ford 5.4L. I just blew a spark plug out of the head. Stripped and everything. $3900 to fix. Ford is cutting me a deal for $1600. New head and labor. The truck is 3 years old to the week from when I bought it and has 65,000 miles. the spark plugs are the original install from the factory and are not required to be touched until 100,000 miles. If it was not for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

By Steven Hahn (solo) on Friday, October 04, 2002 - 4:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's a sick picture of you in your profile Porter!

By johnathan grady (pimpdaddygrady) on Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 6:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey jeremy,

that sounds pretty awesome dude. and i wish i could go but i um i had a lil accident 2day when i was tryin my tantrum. i landed it rite on the other side of da wake and my nose caught cuz my weight was unbalanced and when i fell my mouth hit my knee and i had 2 go get stiches. it really sucks so that'll probly b the last time i ride this year. hope 2 c ya lata on then.

By Tony Neal (aneal000) on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 11:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
2003 GMC Envoy, 4200 (4.2 liter) inline 6, 3.73 rear end, not for sure about gas mileage yet, but it isn't that good... But it is nice to drive!

Boat and Truck 1

Boat and Truck 2

By TY S (typhoon) on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 11:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I tell you what, our expedition suffers when we tow up a steep grade.

By Brad Cervi (rock33hg) on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 3:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
People said It couldn't be done. But I tow with my 2001 S10 Extreme. Runs 15.7 on the 1/4 mile."with out boat"
Truck

By Jake G (lakebu) on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 1:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Suburban 2500 pulls the VLX with ease..

By William Walmer (sonicr1) on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 3:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
99 Ram 1500 w/5.9l, 6" lift and 35's... I killed my tranny running this set up with stock rear end last summer. Changed out to 4.56s... now I get 10mpg all the time... towing or not.

If I was to buy a new truck, it would be a big block (mileage can't be any worse than what I got now!!!)or Deisel... no playing around with the little trucks anymore!!!

By rob l (fun9c1) on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 3:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey I'm the first person here to tow with a car! First serious one, anyway... I tow with my '95 Caprice, ex state police car with the LT1 350. Impala SS springs. You guys think you need 4WD? Hell, I don't even have posi. As long as the ramp's not dirt I'm all set. 14.5 in the 1/4. Steepest and longest hill I've been up is in western MA on the turnpike if you're familiar with that, and 75 is no problem, plenty of pedal left. I get about 10-11 mpg towing and 25 hwy not towing. I'm always the only car in the boat launch parking lot!
car pic

By Josh Robinson (pyrosmurf) on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 5:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dads 1999 Lexus GS300:

By wakeman (skihardkore) on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 6:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I tow my Toyota S22 V-drive with a 1986 Toyota Landcruiser. Diesel V6, 5speed manual tranny, 3 speed transfercase, real man's 4 wheel drive (you've gotta get out and lock the wheel hubs to engage 4 wheel). 4 wheel leaf spring suspension.....the list goes on. it has about 140hp and astronomical amounts of torque. THis is a real truck. and it's even better that i tow a toyota boat with my toyota TRUCK.

By dave meekings (wranger) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yeah a lancruiser will pull anything. the new ones are a V8 aswell.

By Sean Glynn (aircanada) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 5:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bypass all lines at the launch ramp!

http://mediaserver.nauticom.net/www-ibistek-com/cobra.wmv

(Message edited by aircanada on November 14, 2002)

By Eddie Valverde (skireel) on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 3:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We tow our Moomba with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Enough Power and good milage.

By Bob Holinski (bmblbee) on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 8:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
So.....I placed an order for a 2003 Harley Davidson F150 (340 HP & 425 Torque) that was supposed to be here for Christmas. Dealer called and said I should expect Feb or March. The Cadillac dealer still has a surplus of 2002 Escalade EXT's and the prices continue to fall.

What to Do?
What to do?

Anyone want to buy a 2000 Harley F150?

By John Sorensen (johns) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 7:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
03 Hummer, very poor gas mileage, but should not have any problems at steep ramps.

By Steve (xpornsta) on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Who Needs a Truck when you got a TWin Turbo Wagon

Thought it wouldnt tow too well but this thing tows Nice.

Its an 01' Audi allroad 2.7 BiTurbo

(Message edited by xpornsta on November 18, 2002)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com