Speedos Don't Work Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through February 10, 2003 » Speedos Don't Work « Previous Next »
By ben (bsoto) on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 2:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My friend has a 99 ski centurion and neither of his speedos work any ideas on what could be the problem, and how to fix.

By charley carvalho (wakeeater) on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 3:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
they are clogged. blow out the lines

(Message edited by wakeeater on August 26, 2002)

By ben (bsoto) on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 3:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
what would be a good way of blowing them out

By maz (greatdane) on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 3:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I recommend board shorts over speedos.
And, be very careful about blowing out your speedos.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 7:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If they are using pitot tubes the easiest way is to use a safety pin and leave it in the glove box or cup holder. Just pick the debris out of the end of the pickup.

By davidgree (davidgree1) on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 8:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Get a handheld Garmin GPS. They are $100 and work better then any speedo.

By maz (greatdane) on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 8:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
GPS is not accurate on a river.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 6:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
OK Ben, now that the regulars are done with you;

How about describing what kind of speedos!

Without knowing this, now one can help.

Blosing out pitot style speedos: disconnect form the dash and from the pitot. Runa about 10 lbs pressure ( hand held bicycle pump ) through the lines from the dash to the back end.

A clogged pitot is usually the culprit and Peter's post will do for that.

Other than that, you need to help us. What kind of speedos?

I do NOT recommend a wetsuit over speedos if you're going to blow them out. Put the wet suit on after blowing out the speedos!

By dayne whiddon (wdayne) on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 7:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i have electronic speedos on my elite-v centurion, and they are so slow and dodgy that i never consult them. i just use my trusty-dusty rip'm gauge. (rpm gauge)depending on my load i run between 2300-2700 rpms.

laterdayne

By ben (bsoto) on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 9:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is an elite v-drive boat. But on the bottom of the boat at the back end on both sides(Left and Right Sides of the boat) are little black tubes that hook into a plastic piece (Kind of hard to describe without having right in front of me). It looks like the tubes screw into the plastic pieces is this what Peters post is refering to, Also now that I am on the subject has anyone ever heard of one of the speedometer needles getting bent (they are enclosed and we were talking about how that might have happend, obviousley it's not from going so fast that the needle got bent.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 9:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yep, sounds like a pitot arrangement.

You shuold be OK with blowing them out and cleaning the pitot.

By Murphy (bigfaceplanter) on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 8:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If the pitots get stuck in the up position
they will read Zero until pushed back down.
Happens on my I/O all the time.

By BrianS (6more) on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 2:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ben - like Peter said you probably just need to clean it out. There is a small hole about 1" up the leading (towards bow) edge. It doesn't go all the way through, so it is easily clogged. I keep an unbent paperclip in the back cup holder to clean it out. Just stick it in the hole and pull it out. That's all.

If you can't get it cleaned out that way, then try blowing them out. Disconnect the end of the tube from the speedometer and gently blow on it. There is no need to use a pump.

On my airguide it has a movable indicator. I guess so you can "preselect" some speed and then try to get the actual speedometer needle to line up with it. On ours you can move the needle too far and it ends up bending. I had to take the gauge apart to fix it (really easy to do). However, this is just the indicator needle, if your actual speedo needle is bent I would have no idea how it happened. I bet you could still take the gauge apart and fix it.

(Message edited by 6more on August 30, 2002)

By Dave (iliketoski) on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 11:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
A friend of mine has a Ski Centurian, and we were checking his speedos with a GPS....He could not adjust them low enough to read correct....I think they are try to say their boats go faster than they do. He was shocked, no wonder he said he does 50+

By Dave Borwick (awf_axis) on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 12:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For a poor mans calibration, put the Tach at 3,000 rpms, then adjust the needles to 30mph. On direct drives with 13x13, its pretty close. For other setups, it will at least provide consistency from trip to trip and between clogs.

By wakeman (skihardkore) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 2:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
to blow out your line, just get under the dash and pull the line off the reciever. BLow into it hard for a bit then put it back on. It should work nicely for a bit now. Mine also clogs easily. It's a real pain but what are ya gonna do?

By Patrick (faceplant409) on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 9:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the same prob with my 5" Bu gauge. I cleaned out the pitots and blew the tubes from behind the dash. One side still does not work.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com