Do tower speakers have to be waterproof? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Do tower speakers have to be waterproof? « Previous Next »
By elliott dye (habcaw_creek) on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
So, do they have to be waterproof, and if they arent, what happens?

By Bocephus (bocephus) on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
only if you capsize.

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 7:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ideally they should be water resistant. any excess exposure to most speakers will lead to early failure. I've nver had a problem with any tower speaekrs being ruined due to water in the 4-5 years I've had tower speakers on my boats.

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 8:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Look for speakers made with rubber and plastic as opposed to cardboard and foam.

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
At some point you should figure that they will get sprayed or rained on even if you are careful. So things made of wood or paper should be coated with some kind of protection.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 12:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Let's see: boats are almost always used near water....

Ever get into a water fight with a rival boat?

Ever have a rival rider come cruising near by, and throw a sheet of water over the whole boat?

Ever get caught in a rain?

The speakers don't need to be "waterproof" but they do need to be moisture resistant. Audio purists may prefer the sound quality of a paper cone but the paper will simply absorb too much moisture. Cones made of a plastic material will give you much better longevity.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com