When do you stuff your box???? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » When do you stuff your box???? « Previous Next »
By P M H (caffeineguy) on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do you fill a sub enclosure only when it has less airspace than the Manufacture requires?? Or do you always fill a sealed enclosure with the white stuff? (technical term)

By KG (iagainsti) on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
hmmm I thought this post was about something else

By P M H (caffeineguy) on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I knew it would make people read it!

By Scott Taylor (taylormade) on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
ROTFL, KG.

Yeah, you put Polyfill in a box that's too small. It "fools" the woofer into thinking there's more space than there is. I've put at least a little bit of polyfill in most of my boxes because I like the way it deadens the thump a little. TO ME it makes it a little more solid. Please notice I capitalized TO ME because everyone has their own opinion on the stuff.

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 12:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would completely fill it with loosely fluffed dacron polyfill. For full size boxes a 1" lining on 3 sides works just fine to kill the standing waves that build up inside.

By P M H (caffeineguy) on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 12:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the help. Now, where do I get this "polyfill" that you speak of??

By Druffel (dedicatedwse) on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 12:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Interesting...never heard of this before. Does this only apply to sealed speakers? Or does it apply to ported enclosures also?

I've always heard that a sealed speaker gives you bigger bass, while a ported enclosure gives you cleaner bass. Does the polyfill change this?

By Chris Brown (cbrown) on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 1:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Druffel, I believe it is the other way around. Sealed typically provides a tighter punchier bass while the ported typicall is a deeper boomier bass.
PMH I bought some polyfil at an arts and crafts type store.

By Scott Taylor (taylormade) on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 1:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yeah, you MAY even be able to pick it up at the local Wal-Mart. I've gotten it from Joanne's or Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Whatever you have...

I concur with Mikeski, if the box is too small, shove the polyfill in, stretch it apart and then make sure there's enough room for the cone and magnet to get in without being suffocated by the "fill".

And Chris is right about ported boxes providing boomier, looser bass. Honestly it's 100% about the box, though. When you start talking about bandpass and ported boxes, each box needs to be fit to the specific sub that's going in it.

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 4:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A good source for polyfill is an old couch pillow, old jacket, stuffed toy, dog toy... If you insist on not stealing a toy from the kid or dog, you can also get it at the fabric store. I wouldn't waste my money on the stereo store stuff, it's all the same in my opinion.

I have a dog that is an artist at performing sqeakectomys on her stuffed toys. I just give her a squeaky toy and come back in 15 minutes and there will be a pile of pre-fluffed polyfill ready to go...

By Andrew loffgren (loffgren) on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 8:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
when she asks me too!

By KG (wakescene) on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 3:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
1-to-1 Ratio.
1.0lb of Polyfill to 1.0cuft of enclosure space is the normal ratio.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com