Removing old shaft packing from housing Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Removing old shaft packing from housing « Previous Next »
By Daniel (deltaboarder) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 6:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My boat started leaking like a sive through the shaft so I decided I would try to change the packing by myself and I have everything all taken apart but I cant seem to get the old packing out. I used a paperclip and slid it around into the big brass nut and was not able to pull anything out. It feels as though there is nothing left in there. Is it possible that the old packing burned up? Or do I need to completely remove the shaft to get the nut off and try to remove the old packing?

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 6:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The old packing could be gone, just try to apply the new stuff.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 6:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The packing material is really compressed inside the nut, and a paperclip won't work. I made a very sharp tool like a dental pick, using a coat hanger. I could get it to embed into the packing material, but I couldn't pull any out.

Boater's World has a special tool that looks like a small corkscrew, and it probably would work. I don't know for sure, however, because I tried a different approach when my homemade tool didn't work. I just tightened the nut (quite a bit), and I got it down to 6 drops/minute. Before I did this, mine leaked like a sieve, too. You might try really tightening the nut.

By Sam Aikele (atropine) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 7:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a cheap 12V electrical test light (you can buy at any auto parts store for $5) that has a very long, sharp pointed end. I used that to gently pry out the old packing. Take care not to screw up the threads when picking around in there.

By nbeihl (nbeihl) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 7:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just did mine last night. I was having the same problem. I got a pick set from Sears. It was really cheep. There is one pick that is at a 90 degree angle and it pulls old packing out like cake! I would not recommend putting the new packing on top of the old packing, but you can do whatever you want, it is your boat!!!

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 10:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Once the wax is gone old packing can become somewhat abrasive and burn a shaft, it's best removed.

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 10:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had that tool that looks like a corkscrew and it works perfectly.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com