Old Mastercraft Question- need help Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Old Mastercraft Question- need help « Previous Next »
By Doug Wolgamot (dsw27) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 6:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an '89 Prostar 190 that I bought three years ago. It was used up until that time in brackish water, so the engine is quite rusty. It runs great, but I have had to replace the exhaust manifolds because they pretty much rusted out. I am worried that the block may be in the same condition...when I drain it in the fall, rust drains out with the water from the block. I am trying to decide if I should get rid of it now before there are bigger problems, but I didn't want to have to buy a new one for 3 more years. Has any one had this problem with exhaust manifolds, and if so, did a problem with the block or other major components follow shortly after? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By trace (trace) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 7:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Haven't had this problem, but my understanding is the inner walls are much thinner in the manifolds than the block. IOW, a block could go thru 2 or 3 sets of manifolds, and probably need a rebuild before rusting out. How did you know the manifolds needed replacing? Did they leak externally, or did the motor hydrolock?

By Doug Wolgamot (dsw27) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 11:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They leaked externally...I heard the exhaust sounding much different all of a sudden, and I could feel exhaust coming out the bottom of the starboard manifold.

When you say need a rebuild, what did you mean would need to be rebuilt?

Thanks for the help!

By KG (iagainsti) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 12:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Doug- by rebuild I think Trace means you most likely will have to replace things such as piston rings-crank bearings-pushrods etc well before worrying about the block rusting thru.

By trace (trace) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 12:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ding!

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 6:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Strange things sometimes happen with boats. A friends boat ran in the delta for 2000+ hours, the block was full of mud when it came to rebuild time. These 351 blocks/heads are readily available for reasonable prices. I would say run it until it rusts through then fix it. No sense in getting worried until it's time. Exhaust manifolds tend to go first from my experience, I would not judge the block based on the manifolds.

By Jay (jayc) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 11:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used my 87 for all its life in saltwater with no issues on the block and we have a 22 year old MC here which has done all its life in salt, again the block is fine. This one is never flushed either as it spends 8 months a year moored up.

If you want to run it till the block rusts out you'll be waiting till you an old man!

By Mike Snyder (rem_pss308) on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 11:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mine was run in brackish water also. the heads started leaking water, through a crack that had rusted out. New heads, and its back running strong

By Doug Wolgamot (dsw27) on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 5:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
For the Mike whose was run in brackish water. How old was your boat, and how big a repair was it to put new heads in? Did your manifolds go first and if so, how long before. Thanks.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com