98 vlx. What is the best prop size? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » 98 vlx. What is the best prop size? « Previous Next »
By Greg Miller (g_miller) on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 5:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
OK, I have a 98 Sunsetter VLX and I usually run between 1800# and 2600# of ballast plus 4 or 5 people. I currently have a 14 X 18 4 blade prop.
90% of the time we are in the boat it is sacked out to ride.

My question is, Would it help me out with steady speed, holeshot and gas consumption to change prop size? I don't care about top end speed because I rarely get my boat over 30 to 35 mph.

By Troy (liveoz) on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 6:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You would definately be better of with a 14 X 16, but even better switch to an acme prop. Someone on here should be able to give you the right number

By matt Winans (liquidmx) on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 9:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am interested in this as well. I just bought a new to me 00 vlx and plan on sacking it out around 2500ish lbs as well. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, how many sets can you guys take on a tank of gas? I have been debating on adding a second auxilary tank around 18 gallons to help us get more ride time.

By Greg Miller (g_miller) on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone run a stainless prop? What are the advantages or disadvantages?

By trace (trace) on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 6:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just went from the stock OJ to an Acme 537 last season. Huge improvement. I run around 2300 lbs ballast. SS props get a little more power to the water because they're stiffer, and survive minor hits better, but are more likely to tear up something else beyond the prop if you hit something hard.

By UF MBA (gatorhator) on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 6:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Also for the Bu questions like this I have found the guys, (and girls) at "The Malibu Crew" to be great. There is a lot of experienced people there that are more than willing to help.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/

By Matt Poirot (chopper515) on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 4:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 98 VLX with the Acme 537 also. Better holeshot and holds speed better. I lost a couple of mph and I will hit the rev limiter at about 41 mph. Not a big deal because I never need to open it up anyway.

By Greg Miller (g_miller) on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 6:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks guys, sounds like the 537 is the way to go.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com