bimini question Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » bimini question « Previous Next »
By Wakeboarder3922 (wakeboarder3922) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 1:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do black biminis absorb a lot of heat? The company I am getting it from has many options for stripes so would that be less absorbing?

By sam burns (ridetilldeath) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 5:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i got a blue bimini on my boat, it gets pretty hot in the heat of the typical floridian heat but why do u wanna know if they absorb heat???

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 6:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Darker colors will certainly absorb more thermal energy from the sun, but in my experience that does not in anyway increase the temperature for passengers under the bimini. If that's your concern, I wouldn't worry about it, although the stripes are a good way to make the bimini look a little more unique.

Jason
www.wakeside.com
simple is better

(Message edited by s4inor on April 07, 2006)

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check out the porch in my profile pic. All black, but when we stop, all the old folks like to cross deck for the shade. Even in August, five or six days on the lake is just nothing.

I was gonna say it's okay because it's high, but when I stand under it, my head's pretty close and I don't recall the temp getting higher the closer you are to the canvas. It must be, but it's just not noticeable.

Stripes are cool, but I hoped to get like a big white Toy logo on it or something.

By Craig Strait (yosquire) on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 7:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
From a physics stand-point, A bimini's ability to absorb heat is directly related to it's mass.

A chunk of iron rail-road track (a lot of mass)can absorb a lot of heat, then radiate that heat energy back later.

An Asphalt road-way much the same.

A bimini can absorb heat energy up until it's mass has exhausted it's energy potential. A bimini has an advantage that it can dissipate the absorbed heat on both sides. That dissipation is aided by the passing wind.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com