Shasta in September Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Shasta in September « Previous Next »
By B Fitz (jdrcrew8) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A question to people from NorCal or those more familiar with houseboating on Shasta.

I've made the trip before but it was always on one of the notorious college trips that occur in May. I now am older and wiser and am looking to put together a little more low-key trip with friends in September. My questions for the board would be:
Is there still any water left in the lake in Sept. or is it drawn down unreasonably?
Are there significant underwater obstacles waiting to hit prop shafts?
Can any flat water be found at that time of year when I would imagine the lake is packed?
Are the weather and water temps. still decent in September? (Sept. tends to be one of the nicest months of the year in OR)

Excuse my ignorance and thank you in advance for your responses. I tend to be the planner for these types of trips among friends and so want to put together as cool of trip as possible to convince people to make it annual and that the fairly high cost is worth it.

By CAR (super_air) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
These pictures are form Shasta in mid September. Water levels were still pretty high and not to many low spots marked with foam. Outside temps were in the mid 80's and water was still in the 70's. There is always flat water around every turn.
Upload
Upload

By Jeff Hill (hillbilly) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 1:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've been the last couple years the end of Sept. Last year it rained on us 1 day and was a little chilly, But worth the trip. Even with cloudy skie's I never needed more than a wetsuit top.

By B Fitz (jdrcrew8) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 2:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks guys for the info and especially the pics. That is a lot more beach than I've ever seen down there, but like I said, I was usually there in mid-May. I will direct friends here to see those. A picture is worth a thousand words and hundreds of $.

Thanks again. I talked to Holiday Harbor and they have some mid-Sept. openings that are going to work. The football team is even on the road so we won't have to miss any gamedays!

By Big Heavy (stephan) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 3:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
September is when we take our crazy college trip. This year will be wackier than ever!!! 3 houseboats 70 people and definately more than one beer per person. Come join us for our themed nights, we've got a "Anything Goes But Clothes", a "White Trash Night", a "Thrift Store Rocker". The first one is hilarious, as we all get rather creative. Last year I rocked the 30 pack miniskirt with duct tape suspenders, way too hot for this message board...aahhh Shasta is amazing. Or just stop by for a pressurized noodle beer bong.

In all seriousness, we ride a TON. We bring 6 boats and while there is some sillyness, we put the focus on the ride. My experience is that the weather is epic, a little cool in the evenings bu unless you forget your sweatshirt you'll be fine.

(Message edited by stephan on April 07, 2006)

By GD (greatdane) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 4:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I went in late September one year (photo below). It was a great trip minus the rain. I would recommend earlier in September to avoid the "early" storms.

shasta

By GD (greatdane) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 4:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Also, in late september, the lake was mostly empty. We had glass all day long when it was not storming/raining.

By GD (greatdane) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 4:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Geeze, I want to go again! Those pics look so nice!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com