Kicker Amps Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Kicker Amps « Previous Next »
By Dan (freshtracks) on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone using these? I'm looking to do a serious stereo and I have one shop pushing them. The SX and the ZX lines. What are your thoughts?

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 6:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good amps, relatively inexpensive, usually underate their power a little. Alot of people on this site use them.

By charley carvalho (wakeeater) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
had one in my truck and it never got too hot pushing highs andit was under my seat. and they definetly under rate their power

By Shane Lafferty (pickle311) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 5:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
you won't find a better amp for the money, Kicker doesn't win almost every class at the world finals every year for no reason

By Shawn (superair) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 8:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have 2x 700.4sx (1 for boat and 1 for tower speakers) and 1x 1250.1sx in my LSV they are controled my the kicker sxrc (awsome thing for the boat). the sound awsome.

By Tanner Russell (tanner) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Like someone else stated, Kickers tend to be very UNDERRATED. You'll get a certificate w/ your amp stating the actual power of your particular amp. My Fiance's uncle is the head of QC at Kicker and told me they won't let an amp out of the factory if it even tests the rated amount.

That being said, I wouldn't use Kicker Amps if you were building a Sound Q system. For that I would stick to Zapco, Esoteric (Diamond), Blade (good luck finding one), ARC, and US Amps... There are others, I was just naming some that I've used in the past. HOWEVER... we're talking about a boat which is open. The kicker amps will treat you perfectly w/o paying an arm and a leg. You'll love em! I would definately never hesitate using a kicker amp to power a sub, or any of your other speakers in a boat for that matter.

Like I stated, unless your building a competition Sound Q system (which obviously your not), Kickers are some of your best amps around.

By sydwayz (sydwayz) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have one to power subs only. KX600 rated at 746 watts. Pushes two 12" MTX5500 really good. For the money they great.

By Shane Lafferty (pickle311) on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 7:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tanner, when I was in college I worked directly with the Kicker competition group and all we build was SQ vehicles and all with Kicker components obviously. We killed Zapco and everyone else every year. The shop I worked with holds 12 SQ titles and all of them were won with Kicker. If you are concerned about SQ, just make sure that the amp is getting a good signal. It only amplifies what is put into it.

As for ARC and US amps being good SQ amps, I think that statement may have discredited everything you said. Not trying to be rude, but US amps are garbage. I'm not as familiar with ARC, but I do know they are cheap.

By Dale (wetsoundspro) on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 7:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Shane,

I have to disagree with you about the Arc statement, "I do know they are cheap". That is an invalid statement, IMO, only because half of Arc's products are priced higher than most. In fact, most of their entry level products are priced higher than some other brands of high end amplifiers. I also know that there build quality is some of the best thats out there, especially their new Foose series.

Anyway, just throwing in my two cents.

By Tanner Russell (tanner) on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 2:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Shane,
I too used to compete in SQ, and have a few titles in IASCA under my belt. QUITE a while ago though. So some things may have changed.

US Amps USED to make a VERY nice A/B amp. Maybe they don't anymore, it's been a while since I've messed w/ them. Maybe they took the route of Soundstream. Or perhaps your thinking I said US Acoustics... which I didn't.

As for ARC's.... Zeff makes an unbelievably clean amp. I don't think you can call ARC's cheap.

This was definately a very true statement though "If you are concerned about SQ, just make sure that the amp is getting a good signal. It only amplifies what is put into it." To add onto that, install is about 95% of it as well. BUT I'll still stand my statement that Kicker is not really considered your best choice for Sound Q. There's a reason that you rarely see SQ competitors using it, unless sponsored.

Of course I'll never convince you and you'll never convince me, it's all very subjective. Everybody has their own opinion of what sounds good, and what sounds True.

(Message edited by Tanner on April 08, 2006)

By Brannon (fullspeed) on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 4:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have all Kicker amps on my boat.

Upload

Here is the amp ratings.

ZX650.4 benched at 710 watts
ZX850.4 benched at 921 watts
ZX750.1 benched at 930 watts

As you can see the amps rate higher than advertized. I am very happy so far and like the look of the new 06 ZX model. By the way when you buy the amp, the amp comes with the certificate of what the true wattage is. That is how I knew.
Brannon

By DAVID SHELL (rockstar211) on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 8:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
if you really want top s.q. go with the new zapco reference dc they are all digital, that means you tune them in with a computer .you can get perfect s.q.

By Dan (freshtracks) on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 8:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for all the good info. I am not looking to win any comps, just want good clean sound and reasonably priced. I want to make sure they will hold up to cranking all day on the lake. Sounds like Kicker is a great option for this.

By DAVID SHELL (rockstar211) on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 8:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
look in to the zapco i force

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 8:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've had 6 kicker amps and am a huge fan of their 700.5 which I have in my Polaris Ranger and fish/dive boat. You can run 4 speakers at 4 ohm or 8 at 2 ohm and still have a dedicated sub amp that drives 10" and 12" subs quite well.

By liquid ryder (pilot_ryder) on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 8:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ive got two in our new boat

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com