Which subwoofer installation.. Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Which subwoofer installation.. « Previous Next »
By Randy (dudeman) on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 8:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looking to install a new sub and was wondering if anyone had either the ALPINE SWR-1242D 12" Sub Type R or the POLK AUDIO MOMO MM2124DVC 12" DVC installed and what your opinions were. Thanks.

By KJ (akdoc) on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Go to www.caraudio.com and look at their forum. They have great threads about the type R. I would go type R.

By Randy (dudeman) on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks KJ

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the alpine 1242D type R subs (two in the boat and one in my convertible). They are good for the money but not comparable to a JL W7. To really compare subs you need to have the xmax ratings. It comes down to displacement that is a component of area x xmax.

By Randy (dudeman) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 3:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks mikeski. I think I saw one of your posts that said you are running Hifonics amps. If you are, what amp are you pushing the alpine with? I guess which model would you push just one with? Thanks.

By Dale (wetsoundspro) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Randy,

I use to be a manufacturer's rep for Alpine. I can tell you, their Type R woofer is amazing. In the field, we hardly saw any come back that were blown.

I don't know enough on the Polk woofer so I can't really draw up a valid opinion to compare. All I can tell you about is my experience with Alpine.

I hope that this helps.

Dale

By Randy (dudeman) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Dale. I'm stereo and electrical stupid but am trying to learn. Would I hook that to an amp that would push 500 watts on 1 channel @ 4 ohms wired parallel on the sub to create 2 ohms or am I way off?

By Dale (wetsoundspro) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Depending on how many you want to use. If you are using one then you would wire the DVC to give you 2 ohms. Most "mono" amplifiers are ClassD. Those amps will handle 2 ohms mono and in some cases, 1 ohm.

If you are going to do two then you have a couple of options... you can wire it in stereo on a two channel amp at which point you would be running 2 ohm stereo, which personally I don't think is the best choice.

You can run them in series and achieve 4 ohms. Then you would run that on a typical Class A/B amplifier running "bridged" to achieve 4 ohm mono, which I still probably wouldn't do that because A/B amps are not as effecient as Class D and they draw more current which in a boat is crucial to consider.

The third option, which would be my preference, is to find the class D amps that are stable to 1 ohm mono. There are many of them out there. Massive Audio, Memphis, Orion, etc...

Again, I hope that this helps. If you are running more than two let me know and we can re-evaluate your application.

Dale

By Randy (dudeman) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dale, I am only going to run the one sub. I have been looking at Hifonics and Orion amps. How would I wire that to 1 ohm mono. Any advice or website filled with info is greatly appreciated. It is definitely a plus talking to someone that used to be a rep for Alpine.

By Dale (wetsoundspro) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 8:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Randy,

If you run one, you won't be able to achieve 1 ohms. My suggestion is to find an amp that is optimized at 2ohms mono. Recommendations; Alpine, Massive Audio, MTX, JL, Arc Audio, and many more.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Dale

By Randy (dudeman) on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 8:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for everyones help. I'll look for a mono amp, 500 watts @ 2 ohms.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com