Purpose of two speedometers??? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Purpose of two speedometers??? « Previous Next »
By Kasey Kurtz (malibu_nut) on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 8:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just a stupid random question. What is the purpose of having 2 speedometers?? I know it has something to do with skiing but i'm not sure exactly what there for.

By Stephen Higgins (srh00z) on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 8:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It dates back to competitive slalom skiing to ensure that the slalom course was run at the same speed every time. Do the current competition ski boats have two since Perfect Pass and other speed control devices are out there?

By Jon (jpshaff01) on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 8:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I always thought it was for when you were turning

By Kasey Kurtz (malibu_nut) on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 8:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks, I am not sure about the new ski boats either.

By Attila (attila916) on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 8:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think it is so you can go twice as fast!

By deepcove (deepcove) on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 9:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is from the competition ski days and 2 speedos was required in the event one malfunctioned during a pass.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Twice the odds of having one actually work.

The pitot tubes clog fairly easily and have other temporary failure modes. Lots of things will make them read low so you pick whichever one reads highest or at least looks more reasonable.

Newer boats still have dual pitot tubes but they both feed into a single display unit, which converts to digital and then it decides which one to use (although I am not impressed with the job it does).

By Jon (jon4pres) on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I thought most new boats had a paddle wheel for there speedos.

By Jeff Moore (smokedog2) on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
To fill the hole where PerfectPass belongs

By chris (97response) on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
95% of new ski boats will have perfectpass w/ 1 speedo. PerfectPass was designed for skiing the course (A slalom skier takes his "pass" through the course - hence PerfectPass). The speedo's are actually useless and not even used by slalom skiers. PerfectPass is much more complex for 3 event skiing, it really has taken away the need for a speedo at all.

Someone should think of something else to put in its place.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com