Gelcoat refinish / scuff removal Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Gelcoat refinish / scuff removal « Previous Next »
By trace (trace) on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 8:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
can anyone outline a good, simple process to buff out scuffs in my gelcoat? i have an area about 8" tall x 5' long (multiple angles & curves) above my rubrail that needs attention, as well as a few small areas that i'll hit while i'm at it.

keep in mind i'm ADD, so anything that takes more than a couple hours is pretty much off the table. i have 3M fiberglass compound, several grades of high grit sandpaper, a buffer, a polishing wheel, and inclination to buy other tools/supplies if needed. thanks!

By Aaron Nielsen (lzyboy) on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Trace -

Here's a detailed how to post from Grant West / Sound Illusions called "cut & Polish"

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/282492.html

Lzy

By trace (trace) on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 12:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanks. forgive the idiot questions, but i think i need some input on the actual polishing process. i'm just looking to take out some scuffs & light oxiddation as Chris Cripps mentions down towards the bottom of that thread.

i see my orbital buffer won't work, so i'm shopping polishers. what would be a good value setup? i've found a Dewalt DW849 and Makita 9227C (these just spin AFAIK), and Porter Cable 7224 (dual action / orbital). whcih way should i be going here? i'd also like to be able to use whatever i get on my cars, and it seems you have to use an orbital on clearcoated paint.

all i've ever done is hand-compounding, which would take too long in this case, so once i get a polisher, i need some direction on how to use the dang thing... which pads to use, how much compound to squirt where, mist with water, how to know when you're done, ........

please help an idiot. thanks.

By Sound_Illusions (grant_west) on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Polisher's spin in one direction. They create heet as they spin in that one direction. That heet helps remove the scratch/scuff. Its a more agressieve way of removing a sratch. It you have wet sanded your finish you wont ever get it to shine with a orbital/DA dule action. You need a polisher. So IMO you need a polisher to remove the scratches you put in your finsh when you wet sanded. You then you need or can use a Orbital to apply waxe's and glaze's. Hope that help's you Idiot, LOL

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com