Depth Finder Question Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Depth Finder Question « Previous Next »
By Attila (attila916) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anyone installed a depth finder on a new boat? Is it simply a matter of plugging it in to the wiring harness under the dash? If anyone has installed one on a late model MC I would love to chat with you.
Thanks!

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You need to buy the Lowrance depth finder module from your dealer to activate the readout in the tach.

There was some speculation that a Lowrance 306 was the same transducer used for the OEM installs, but to the best of my knowledge that was never confirmed.

By Attila (attila916) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 1:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Uhhh, so what can you tell me about the install process?

Thanks,
Attila

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you buy the factory transceiver, epoxy it to the bilge liner, run the wiring and connect it to the MMDC under the dash. Should take around 30 minutes.

By will5150 (will5150) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 5:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Different tranceivers operate at different frequencies. check withyour dealer to see what will penetrate the pull the best and operate in motion. I put a Faria in my Tige last year- took the stock one out and it works great. It also has the Keel offset so I know EXACTLY how much water's under the boat and hardware.

By Jeff Vaaler (jcv) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 5:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
will, do you know how companies usually set depth finders? on my malibu, i've been in water that's registers just over a foot and a half on the depth finder without striking bottom. therefore, i assume it's not measuring the depth from the water line, but i don't know if it's set to measure from the bottom of the hull, or the lowest point (the rudder)

By will5150 (will5150) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 8:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Some probably do set them with a Keel offset. I can adjust mine from 1'- 3' ( i believe) so the reading I get on the meter is actually lower than the water line. I personally like this as I know I won't be in trouble- so far so good!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com