Is my impeller housing OK? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Is my impeller housing OK? « Previous Next »
By Sam Aikele (atropine) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

This are pics of my impeller and impeller housing. This is a 1991 Malibu with a Mercruiser 350. I have had the boat about 1.5 years and about 100 hours. Decided to do some preventive maintenance this spring and replace the impeller. Took it apart today and this is what I found. The housing looks all pitted-- is this right? Obviously the impeller is in bad shape and needed to be replaced (I have a new one here from skidim).Upload
Upload

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
From the pic it looks like the housing is out of round????

By C.I.E... AL (allen) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The housing I.D. is built to be out of round like that, Thats how they pump.
But... the blistering, cracking and chiping means you get to buy a new impeller and housing.
Al

By Bruce Banner (breadbutta) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 6:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Your impeller is thrashed, good call on replacing it. It would have caused you trouble in the near future.
As for your housing, it doesn't look good. Do you run in salt water? I always replace my housing at the same time. Keep the old housing and a new impellar handy incase your out and it goes.

It's insurance.

Others may have their opinion on this. i prefer to err on the side of caution.

By Bruce Banner (breadbutta) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 6:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anesthesiologist.....Well, it's not like you can't afford it!

By rodney p (azwakekid) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 6:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
replace the housing, and throw the other stuff away, there is no way you could use that stuff for a spare

By Joshua Tickle (showtime) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 6:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
your housing appears to be toast. as allen stated the housing is designed to be out-of-round. in this case the housing needs to be repl, but it should never have to be repl again. i have seen and curently spend many hrs on older ski boats w/ hundreds and hundreds of hrs that have the original impeller housing...

By Sam Aikele (atropine) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 6:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks everyone. I will call skidim tomorrow and get a new impeller housing. The part that drives the impeller (the part that has the D-shaped shaft and has the pulley attached to it) appears fine. I shouldn't need to replace it, should I? Also, what kind of ballpark $$$ does a housing run? (I'm still an anesthesiology RESIDENT for the next 3 months, and my employer is the USAF!!!) Thanks again everyone.

By Aaron Nielsen (lzyboy) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Sam,

I wanna say in the neighborhood of 90 - 100 the last time I bought one... I checked online real quick - looks like it's only $80.00 for the entire kit but dealer prices are typically inflated a lil...

http://www.keitheickert.com/detail~ID~688.aspx

Lzy

Late Model Mercury Sea Pump

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com