Teflon Coating in Lieu of Waxing Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Teflon Coating in Lieu of Waxing « Previous Next »
By David Williams (wakeworld) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 3:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anybody done this or had any experience with it? The basic concept is to remove all wax and replace it with a teflon coating that's similar to wax, but lasts 5 or 6 years. Obviously, it's more expensive, but seems like it would remove a lot of hassle. Here is one company that does it: http://www.tst5k.com

By swass (swass) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 3:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aki's truck is teflon-coated. I'm sure he can tell you all you want to know.

(Message edited by swass on March 21, 2006)

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 3:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've also heard of people using the stuff they put on airplanes, this sounds like something similar.

By jon bassham (texasbear08) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 5:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would definitly be interested in that if it really works for 5 years.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What about UV protection?

By David (whitlock87) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It sounds like something I had the dealer put on my van in 93.
By 99 I was getting these white spots on my van. When I took it to a paint shop and asked about it being buffed, they told me that it was the coating that the dealer put on that was changing colors and the paint was fine. They had to wet sand the entire van and then buff it. Looked great when they where done, but cost 600 for the work.

Personally I will stick with waxing after that problem

By fb (fbroen) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aki's had his boat tefloned too, me thinks.

By E.J. (deuce) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Phaeton....303 after every use is all the UV protection you need.

My boat swims in 303....buy it by the gallon.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 1:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Plus if you had to get it repaired if they do not remove all the teflon it will cause a fish eye problem in the top coating.

By sp0tts (sp0tts) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 8:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That tefflon stuff is a gimmick, at least on cars it is. Dealers try to sell it to you for several hundred dollars (around $500). My dad was with me when I picked up my car a few months ago and wanted me to buy it, I didn't. The next day I got on the net in the auto forums and did research, pretty much every detailer said its just a glorified wax job and imo, it doesn't look as good as waxing would after a few months. Basically they're selling you a warranty. As far as the teflon part of it goes, they put the name teflon on the bottle to get people to buy it. It takes very high temperatures to make teflon bond with anything and you could never heat a boat or car to a high enough temperature to make teflon bond to it. Stick with 303 or wax.

By Tracy Ferguson (fergie23) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 12:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
any recommendations on wax to use on a newer boat? just reminds me I need to go get some!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com