Towing with Honda Ridgeline / Recomme... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Towing with Honda Ridgeline / Recommend a vehicle « Previous Next »
By S Dorgan (ice3944) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 6:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
So we are getting our new 2005 Mobius LSV and need a tow vehicle. I was thinking the Ridgeline being that it is rated at 5000lbs towing capacity. Dry weight of the boat is 3100lbs and trailer of about 700-800 so total is around 4000lbs dry. If we weight that up with our gear, will this be enough or should we go larger?

My other thought was a Chevy 1500 extended cab with an 8 ft bed and the 5.3 liter motor. I know this would be better for towing, but I like the Ridgeline for all the other driving I will be doing. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

By Robb Davis (boarder_x) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 6:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chevy!!!!!!

I have that truck, and my boat is about the same. The trailer should be more than 700, but that's still ok. You are forgetting 250# for gas. You (Let's say 175#) your passengers (3 X 150#), and you are way over the 5000# limit of a V6. My truck pulls my boat down the freeway, and up smaller hills while never missing a beat. I would hate to have a smaller truck. I used to have a Frontier, and it was very insufficient. Then I had an F150, with the 4.6L. Again, too small. It really worked, going over hills.

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 7:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chevy imo !!!

By Eric (ethomass) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 7:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Chevy 1500 extended cab with the 5.3 And an outback ls. Tows the boat great, drive it around all the time too, no problems. If you go away for a weekend (camping trip) you have to take all your gear and would be really pushing the limites of the ridgeline. Just my two cents

By B Whelan (tx_cook) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 7:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have always thought of the Honda as a luxury truck. In my opinion the bed sides are too high and the features are more fancy. We currently have a GMC Yukon XL with the 5.3L and its does well but we are getting a new Titan next week or so rated at over 9000 pounds for towing. The GMC holds its own. We have used it for towing all the way from Houston, TX to Minneapolis, MN; through hills and flats alike. Through the hills it would down shift every time to make it but it did make it. Depending on you area and trip intentions you should be fine with the 5.3. Depending on the price, you might consider the upgraded engine package. We cant wait to get our Titan though.

By Jim (west) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 7:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
NISSAN TITAN!!!!!!!!!!

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Titan was not a choice. Chevy or Ridgeline

By Aquaholic (zacharoo) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nissan Titan or the new Toyota Tundra Baaaaaaaad to the bone just go to the website and check it OUT

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Come on those are girly trucks. Titan and Tundra If you're going to spend that much buy a used Duramax,Powerstroke or a Cummins. I get 19-20 mpg lifted "6 with 35's towing the boat at 70 mph.

By S Dorgan (ice3944) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have looked into the Nissan and Toyota, but just felt like buying American for once...who knows, maybe not.

This is a second car for me so really its going be more about a good vehicle for an even better price. Probably will lease as I get bored quickly...

By entrust clothing (entrustclothing) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i have a mobius XLV weight about 4800lbs with the trailer and i tow it with my 05 nissan froniter (6300lb towing capacity) or my business partners 05 tundra (6500 towing capacity) both truck tow like a champ! for a 4000lb boat i would go with the ridgeline, i think they are pretty sweet looking and i'm not now nor have ever been a fan of american made cars

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That American motor in boat works well. You seem to be a fan of Mobius with a chevy motor.I do agree the Froniter and Ridgeline are QUTE!!!

By Edward J. Sullivan (bigshow) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 9:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Your weight estimate sounds low. A dual axel trailer is more like 1,100 to 1,300. Add equipment weight, then add fuel weight. Also note that weight in your tow vehicle should be subtracted from the tow weight.

Go with a regular truck.

By Attila Miszti (attila916) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 9:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just got my silverado with a 5.3, 6 inch lift with 33's. Tows the MC like a champ!

By Sean Fitzpatrick (slax303) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 9:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why not look at an Avalanche. Similar to your Ridgeline yet with more towing capacity. i think its 7000lbs. I love the Avalanche, its a very nice ride, much like a tahoe or suburban compared to a truck. If you want a nice ride like the ridgeline and aren't worrying about towing more than your 4000+ pound boat and trailer, I would say at least check out the Avalanche. New style for the 07 too.

By Chris (crghou) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
He is right go diesel if you plan to tow your boat a lot...I have a chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L. It will tow anything you can toss its way but it also only gets 11mpg driving daily. I have heard good things about the Titan and its gas mileage. I think it has like a 5.8 or something huge and it will do fine. The new chevy 5.3ís are supposed to have better gas mileage as well and would be fine to tow anything as long as you are not planning on towing it across country. If you tow a ton go w/ a diesel.

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Some of you guys on here make me laugh. Calling full size 1/2 ton pickups girly trucks! Sure, I think towing a decent sized wakeboard boat with a Ridgeline would be crazy, but the Tundra, and especially the Titan are very good trucks, especially for someone needing a daily driver as well. It just amazes me how many of you macho guys think you need a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a 20-22 foot boat anywhere from 10 to 40 times a year, then end up having to mess with the thing as a daily driver the rest of the year. If you can't tow a Mobius with a Titan or Tundra, first you need to review your driving habits and skills, and second you need to look at what you're trying to compensate for with that big diesel!

Now that I'm off the rant, I'd always been an American truck guy, but my dad just bought an '06 Titan Crew Cab and that thing can tow. It was just as capable if not more so than my '04 F150 was. I'd definately look into it, definately more power than the Chevy 5.3. I would go ahead and wait for either the '07 Avalanche, buy an '07 Tahoe, or wait a year for the new trucks if I was going the Chevy route.

(Message edited by kstateskier on March 20, 2006)

By Peter (peterc4) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Between those two, go with the chevy

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Tahoe and a Silverado, the Tahoe rides much better when towing. The Silverado has rear leaf springs and tends to bounce around. The Avalanche has rear coils so it should tow like the Tahoe, possibly your best alternative (like Sean mentioned above). The 5.3 is a good all around motor definately adequate for towing my 5000lb boat/trailer but no dragster. The 6.0 is stronger but you will pay for it at the pump. Check wheelbase of the Ridgeline, followed one home tonight seemed a bit too short to be a good tow vehicle? Possibly an optical illusion. I know it was not one of your choices but if I were buying a new truck I would give the Titan a look before the Ridgeline. What is the powerplant in the Ridgeline?

By travis moye (driving) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 4:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Titan kills it. I pulled and X-80 with mine, no problems. And, when you don't have a boat behind you it drives like a car...a fast car.

By Joe H (superairdawg) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 4:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
AMEN, kstateskier!! While heavy duty diesels are most certainly better suited for those who tow all the time, some of us use trucks for regular drivers too. Regardless how awesome tow rigs they are, I'm not interested in starting up a stinking, clattering Peterbuilt every morning and only being able to fill up at truck stops. Five point turns trying to get into a parking spot is also a tad tedious.

OK, rant aside, I admit the Titan looks impressive. How has your dad's held up thus far from a quality perspective? I'm actually considering looking at Tundras.

Getting this thread back on track, my guess is a Ridgeline would be pretty much maxed at towing a boat, but if you only have a very short stint to the ramp and don't tow a ton it could work. It'd be a helluva rig for other duties. Much more towing I'd probably look more closely at the Chevy.

(Message edited by superairdawg on March 21, 2006)

By S Dorgan (ice3944) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 5:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone leasing a Titan, know what an estimate of payments would be...

By David (whitlock87) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 6:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 20V and it is 3600lbs.
We have a public scale down the street, and on a trip last summer I stop at it.
3600boat 1350 trailer I figured 600 everything else. Should have been around 5600lbs.
It came in at 6725. (I have why to much @@@@ in my boat)

Better to be safe then sorry, I think you will go well above the 5k mark.

One more thing.

The Honda will have a harder time stopping the trailer then the Chevy if the trailer brakes go out.

By Derby (derby) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 4.7 ltr Tundra and only tow a 2001. It strugles a bit up some hills.

My opinion go with a bigger motor. And make sure your tow package comes with a tranny cooler.

If your into the Japanese thing the new Tundra can have a bigger motor. I think 5.3 ltr is an option.

By Brad Spooner (spoonman) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 7:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What is the hp and torque of the 5.3l vs hp and torque of the 3.5l? would this not be a better measure of how well it will tow?

By David (whitlock87) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 9:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
(What is the hp and torque of the 5.3l vs hp and torque of the 3.5l? would this not be a better measure of how well it will tow?)

No
There are a lot more factors then just POWER.
Suspension, Drive train (gearing of rear end and trany), Braking, and cooling capabilities.

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
David writes:
>>>There are a lot more factors then just POWER.
Suspension, Drive train (gearing of rear end and trany), Braking, and cooling capabilities.<<<

We tow with a Sequoia (non VVT 4.7L) and it's definitely working to get up the grades (Indio & Grapevine fer sure). Dynos at like 200 RWHP at 5500 or something. NOT a tow engine. Even had to add Coil-Rite bags to the back end. However, comma, man the brakes, the tranny, steering, lack of sway, it's a really good tow vehicle.

You'll laugh at me when I'm in the slow lane going up hills you don't notice in your HD, but my eight seatbelts, ten speakers, ten cupholders, six airbags, & all the rest are just awesome then and during the rest of the year it's hauling us to Cub Scouts and Pony and well, you know - daily driver stuff. All it costs us is dropping into second gear when going up the steep hills.

Compare that to my pal's Durango towing a 20' Hurricane deckboat. Despite the oodles of 360 power, he was scared to drive it because of its lack of size and mass. He felt the boat push him all over. Other people I know don't have that problem with that truck, but still, there's something BIG to say about towing manners.

So when you add 'stability' to Dave's list, power slides down a little farther in importance. (Don't get me wrong, I hate to see an F-150 with a Sea Ray pass me, but I'd take that Sequoia over an Expedition or Tahoe any day.) Now...if GM would put the Duramax in their SUVs, I may have something else to pine over.

By Jim G (heem) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
As to the original question, if only given those 2 options, I would go with the Chevy. I think you will be disappointed if you throw down your hard earned money on the Ridgeline and expect more than it can deliver. I would take a look at other vehicles in the same relative price range. I own a Titan and am glad to see the positve remarks regarding its towing abilities. Our boat will be here in a few weeks and am looking forward to seeing how the Titan works out. I do know that it has more torque than any other vehicle in its class. Its wicked fast even stock. Very comfortable ride and some well thought out amenities. It is a thirsty truck but I did ave over 19 mpg on a trip from Reno, thru Sac, to the bay area, thru Emeryville and back to Auburn and had enough gas to make it home it I tried.

IMO if you are going to spend $30+ on a tow vehicle, do yourself a favor and look around, test drive, ask questions, and get something you want not something you may be setteling for.

BTW you can get on any number of bulletin boards for any vehicle and get real world feedback on whatever you are looking at. This may help with any decision you have.

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The lease payments would totally depend on amount down, model of Titan, and lease period length. I think my dad was going to be able to get a lease payment in the mid 300s on an SE Titan with no down over 2 years. He ended up buying it. He got an '06 SE Crew Cab with a sticker of $36k for under $30.

Joe H, he has only had the truck a week, so don't have much to report on quality issues, and he is the only person I know that has one. When I was going to buy, I looked hard at the Titan, but couldn't get over the looks, and ended up with an F150. He did the opposite.

By KStateAlumni (bbeach) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think I'm going to stay out of this one!

By Manzo (zo1) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
IMO, just saw the new Tundra at the auto show. BBBBBBoring. Really cheapo on the inside in my opinion.

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 1:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nick
You can tow with just about any vehicle. I have seen a chrysler mini van towing a 21ft ski boat. I don't have to compensate for anything. I have a beautiful wife and 5yr old daughter 2 trucks,boat,house all paid for except house.You said a boat goes out 10-40 a year. So why pay all that money for a nice boat or does the boat compensate for lack of riding skils.
Joe
A Duramax and powerstokes are quiet. Fuel can be bought at any regular gas station. My wife drives this truck every day. She has no problems parking. Five point turns maybe you should listen to Nick and review you're driving skills.

By Bruce Mac (brucemac) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 2:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
off topic, but you could save about $10K-13K off sticker on a new 2006 loaded (not 07) denali xl right now. they're blowing them out to make room for the new 07's. they come standard with a vortec 6000 (6 litre), are AWD and have the heavy duty tow package and trani (tow rating of 7900lbs). super comfy and a nice ride. just thought i'd throw that out there. not sure how much the ridgeline's cost, but i bet they're up there.

By Bruce Mac (brucemac) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 2:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
heh, and then you wouldn't have to help everybody move.

By Byrd (byrd) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 2:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chevrolet without a doubt....I had a 98 Z71 Ext Cab and it towed my 90 MC PS190 like a dream. When I went to upgrade, the only thing i could get in a crew cab(for a decent price) was a 4wd 2500HD Crew Cab. It can tow almost anything, but it does drink gas. One thing I have always done when buying a tow-type vehicle is buy it by the pound. Take how much it weighs and divide it by its cost. It gives you a good price per pound comparison when all else is comprable.

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 5:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Titan Titan Titan!!! I know it wasn't one of the choices, but I am throwing my vote in for the Titan. I just bought one a month ago and absolutely LOVE it! I havne't had the opportunity to hitch the baby up to it yet, but from driving this truck you can tell it has Balls!

Also, the Ridgeline hasn't gotten alot of good feedback on towing power. Most say it's way overrated in that department. Honda's are great vehicles, but not big tow vehicles. I'd say pass on the Ridgeline and go a different route. And as stated many many times before, check out the Titan. You will be pleasantly suprised in it! I know I was and can't wait to hit the road with it and my boat this summer!

Nick- Remember, I might be making a run out your way this summer!

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 1:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aaron, I didn't say you couldn't tow with anything, but almost any 20-22' wakeboard is well within a 1/2 ton pickups tow rating. They are not in the tow rating of a minivan, look it up if you need to. I just think a lot of trucks are overkill. If you like day to day driving with a diesel and want to pay the $5k + premium go for it. I would rather keep the $5k and enjoy the day to day driving of a 1/2 ton. If you can't admit that a 3/4 ton diesel is overkill for a 20' boat you are kidding yourself. Does it tow better, yes, is it the best reasonable option for a 20' boat and a daily driver, no!

I can't comment on your boat comment, as I get in about 150+ water days a year, so I need the best boat possible. My riding skills suck because I only spend about 5 of those days on a wakeboard and the others 3 event skiing, but I would say that those that spend $80k on a X-Star and there best trick is a wake to wake are doing overkill on their boat, just IMO. I also think you buy what you can afford and what you want, it is your money. I just think it is rediculous that you push what you think others need on them, when that is not the best option. If you want a diesel and can afford it, that's great, but telling someone that is looking in the 1/2 ton market that they need a diesel is crazy!!

Kraig, I'm looking forward to you getting out this way. You'll love towing with the Titan!

(Message edited by kstateskier on March 22, 2006)

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i have a supra 24 ssv that i pull with a 2004 f-150 lariat trust me i would and could pull, a honda and your boat up the ramp, i boat in lake cumberland and we have some very steep ramps i put my 33 donzi in with it also the honda titan or chevy can not do that, trust me chevy fans i have a denali as well it sucks compared to f-150

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
but all the above said really the honda isn't even qute, go with chevy if ford not in play, man maybe a gm employee will someday do business with you in return

By Mark B (wakehound) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Dave Borwick (awf_axis) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have been towing with a Denali for the last few yrs, and living near Tahoe, the hills really beat up the drivetrain. The 4 speed shift ratios were so wide that it was either lugging or screaming up hills.

I decided to do the '07 because of the 403hp eng. and 6 spd tranny.

Screw the kids college fund...

Upload

By Festivus Maxximus (festivus) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 3:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gotta get a plug in for the Titan...Yup, the new Tundra looks really nice, but if you don't want to go the domestic route, I think the Titan is a great tow rig. We pulled a lot with ours last summer, hardly could tell the boat was there. Not to take a jab at Ford, but here is a true story, unbiased.
My brother and law and I both have (had, since my 247 will be here this weekend) the same boat, toyota Epic S22/SX. He usually pulls with his Pilot, which I think is a bit of a stretch for the Pilot, but it gets the job done. I tow with my '02 Sequioa. Last summer his Pilot was in the shop for some body work, and he insisted on having it replaced with a vehicle he could tow with, as we were going to Powell from SLC that weekend. He got an F-250 SD as a rental. Again, I am keeping this objective. Going up the canyon to Price, I had to wait for him at the top for several minutes. He said he had the F250 full out (being a rental, I think we all would "push" it a little) and couldn't keep up. I am not saying the sequioa is the ultimate tow vehicle, but it sure does get the job done. You have to get comfortable hearing the engine run wild at 4500 rpm, but it doesn't bother it. Never had it heat up even a little. I will trade the Sequioa in next summer for an '08, which will hopefully be the new model, engine, etc... For reliability, comfort, finish, low maint., go foreign. I am pretty hesitant to tow the 247 with the Sequioa, but the Titan can pinch hit when needed.

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry but a f-250 will run off and hide from a Sequioa. MUST have ben driver error unless it was gas and not diesel. The gas f-250 is a real turd it can't get out of it's own way.

By joshua munday (jmunday) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 5:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i pull a boat weighing in around 4000 lbs (including trailer)and im pulling with a 1998 dodge dakota 4x4 with only the 3.9v6 and i just got back from looking at trucks. it does ok but like some other people said hills are hell and im always scared that i won't stop. you probably need a fullsize like me so go with chevy

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 6:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
sequioa < f-250
ask the question, why is ford the best selling truck......

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 6:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i got to see the new international at the chicago auto show they are so sweet
love the escalade as well

By Festivus Maxximus (festivus) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm not saying the Sequioa is a better truck than the F250, my good friend has a sweet F250, I just found it strange that the gasoline version was such a drop off in power from the Power Stroke. I honestly think there will be a time when Ford can't claim that title anymore. And GMC is trying to just stay afloat.

By S Dorgan (ice3944) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I went to look at the Ford F-150 and the Explorer V8. Leaning toward an '02 Eddie Bauer, it is like new with 50k miles and a great price. Just want to make sure its not the same tranny as the V6 because I have known wayyy to many people who have had to replace it with minimal miles.

By JTW (sangerlover) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You could put 4 boats behind my 03 powerstroke and it would still out climb a Titan , Tundra and Sequioa .

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
AMEN JTW

By Festivus Maxximus (festivus) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
JTW- I agree, that powerstroke is awesome! I haven't driven the Cummins or the Duramax, but I am sure they have great torque as well. That wasn't my point. The gasoline engines don't compare with the Nissan or Toyota. That is my point.

By Craig Anderson (stillstandin) on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I tow with a 04 F150 5.4 liter..it sucks. I also have a 03 Suburban with the 5.3..and it tows great. I have heard good things about the titan, but Im one of those people that cant get over the looks of it( tho, I do like the looks of the 08 tundra that is coming out.) My F150 will be replaced with a F250, or Chevy 2500 (diesel) in the future. I take long trips, and Im one of those people that done want to even feel the boat behind me.

By Paul (paublo) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 8:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
In regards to the Honda Ridgeline, there is one thing that I don't think that I saw mentioned anywhere in this posting- it is a front wheel drive vehicle. The rear wheels only engage when in 4 wheel drive. I wouldn't give it serious consideration to tow anything heavier than a lighter boat. A smaller boat, short distances, not in the summer heat of Ariz or the southwest- may be options, but otherwise I wouldn't seriously consider it.

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 4:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
craig I have a 04 f-150 and 04 denali the ford is a much better tow vehicle for me, i am going to georgia for mastercraft tour and i will be taking a 33 donzi (my supra will not arrive until the week after)the denali would be all over the road but one thing that hurts the denali and may not be true on the other gm's is the all wheel drive its made for house wives getting groceries that is why i gave it to my wife and bought the ford

By shoeish (shoeish) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 5:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Take a serious look at the frontier. They have a serious nut, towing up to 6500lbs, and are really, really nice trucks.

Your GM/Chevy will rattle so bad in 40,000 miles. My 2003 does. (gm interiors suck, can't say anything about new tahoe yet, but that includes the c6 vette)

By Robb Davis (boarder_x) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 5:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have 85K on my 01 Silverado, and there is not a squeek anywhere. There was 60K on my F150, and it rattled like a damn whoopty. I used to have a 99 Frontier. It was ok. There were some problems that Nissan knew about the engine, that were all messed up. However, there is a newer, bigger motor in them now. Maybe the problems have been addressed as well.

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 6:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
shoeish you are full of shiiiiiii-
if yours rattles its only because the only one you could afford is a rebuilt wreck

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 6:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
shoeish go back to the fast and furious forum

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 6:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sounds like it mite be the loose nut behind the wheel!!!!

By Craig Anderson (stillstandin) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 6:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
denny..i dont know what to tell ya. But my F150 doesnt tow worth a crap. Its a gutless pig. The suburban has the same gear ratio..similar horsepower etc..and is a rocket campared to the truck. If I take a long trip with the boat, I would not even consider the F150. I plan on only having it another six months or so. Maybe the wheel base is different with your yukon..is it the XL..I just recomended the suburban to a guy at work for a tow vehicle.

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 6:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
craig it is the xl

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 7:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok, I have got to chime in here. As for the F-150 and it being a dog for towing. I am not a Ford fan! But I will say that the new F-150 is a nice truck. It is built pretty well. But Ford killed it with 1. A four speed tranny. 2. They don't tune the engine well with the tranny. They didn't match the two up very well. The 5.4 engine isn't what Ford says it is. It really is a dog! Ford could have done a better job at tuning the tranny to work WITH the engine to have better shift points. But that's tough as well when it has a four speed. The 5.4 could pull better, but no where close to a Titan. It's tried and true guys, there just isn't any arguing with it. Now, as for the Titan, it is an amazing truck with alot of torque. And most of it at under 2500 rpm's. Alot of people are realizing that the Endurance V8 is underrated as well as it's capabilities in towing. Nissan is notorious in underrating their engines. They've done it in the Maxima for some time now. Alot of aftermarket companies are realizing that there is alot more HP to be realized out of the Endurance with minimal upgrades and/or programming. And of course this applies to the towing capabilities. The Titan is a very capable truck and anyone who discounts the Titan without looking at it and driving it is just down right "Uninformed."

Denny- I believe that the Titan CAN handle your 33' Donzi no problem. Why do you say it can't? Have you driven or towed with a Titan? Have you even looked at them? Maybe you should experience one before making a claim like that. I don't say that to be mean, I say that with all due respect. You really should take a look at the Titan. I know a few people who tow their 35' Cuddy's weighing in at about 9100 lbs. Would I do it? No, I'd probably get a larger truck for that big of a boat. But you said that the Titan couldn't do it. I believe it can do it alot better than the F-150. Not to say the F-150 can't, I just think the Titan can outpull the F-150 any day!

JTW- Comparing a diesel engine to a gasoline one?!? Come on man, get on the same page as what others are saying. And yes, a diesel WILL outpull a gas engine. We all agree on that! However, wait till Nissan and Toyota come out with diesel engines in their trucks. Toyota is doing research on it now and Nissan is in development already for the Titan or another platform. It's all kept so Hush Hush. Hopefully 2008, but we'll see. As for gas engine to gas engine: The Nissan Endurance V8 is leading it hands down! The new Tundra will probably take the cake when it comes out. Nissan, I've heard is working on a redesign on the Titan for 2008. Most likely it will include improvments to compete with Toyota. I don't know about the new Chevy's, but I'm sure they will be competing as well. The HP race is back on in the USA!!! Even with gas prices inching back up. But unfortunately, I think the Big 3 are going to continue to lose market share as the Japanese automakers set their sights on the truck industry here in America.

(Message edited by kraig on March 23, 2006)

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 7:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
kraig
the titan can pull the donzi without a doubt, i never said that, the guy i wakeboard everyday with has one it is strong but i think it is a little plain inside, his loaded next to my lariat doesn't compare in interior style the f-150 in my opinion does pull a little better but absolutely no worse

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 7:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Quote by Denny: "i boat in lake cumberland and we have some very steep ramps i put my 33 donzi in with it also the honda titan or chevy can not do that"

Then you say: "the titan can pull the donzi without a doubt, i never said that"

Huh?!? Make up your mind man!!
You didn't remark on the interiors earlier. As for the interiors, that is all personal preference. And I do like the F-150's interior as well. The Titan has some good points about it's interior, but by no means is that it's strong point. We were talking about performance earlier and THAT is what you commented on. Glad to hear you say that it is a strong truck.

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 8:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i would not try to put it in at my ramp with my buddys truck, but could it pull it to georgia on the interstate, yes , there is a difference between towing and launching esp on steep ramps

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 8:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i would say the same about my denali from personal experience, it does not pull up the ramp like my ford does, but almost all the tourist from ohio which come to our lake use suburbans but they use ramps that are not as steep my ramp is not at a marina

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 8:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Denny, are you saying that the Titan doesn't have the power to pull your Donzi up a steep ramp? But your F-150 can because it has so much more power?!? Or is it because the Titan won't be able to get traction on the ramp? Ok, keep in mind that the F-150 weighs 1000 lbs more than the Titan, so if anyone has more power on a steep incline it will be the Titan. Also, check out which truck has more torque and HP. The Titan runs away in this category. The Ford 5.4 just doesn't have the output Ford says it does. There is no contest between the F-150 and the Titan in raw power. To think otherwise is again, to be "Uninformed." Please, don't think I'm knocking the F-150, it's a very nice truck. But performance wise, it doesn't touch the Titan. The F-150 has it's strong points over the Titan, but performance and power just isn't one of them.

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 8:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
don't worry my buddy has a complex about his titan as well you are not the only one

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 8:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hopefully you are not in as bad as shape as him he is ex-mormon gone wild, just divorced and stuck with the high payment on his titan, 25 yrs old w/ three kids, but he loves to board so we have that in common

By Patrick Vega (3205lpv) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 8:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The reason the Denali will not tow as well as a suburban is because of the rear suspensions. The denali has coal springs that are softer for a better ride, while the suburban has leaf springs that are a little stiffer. So the suburban will tow better, but the denali rides better. They are both adequate for towing a wake boat. I think what people are forgetting when they talk about the nissan is that it is a 5.8 liter. The chevy is a 5.3 and ford a 5.4. Now if you get the 6.0 in the silverado it evens things out.( I dont no if ford has an upgraded engine for its 1/2 tons.) The competition between the f 250 and the sequoya is a little off. Becuase it was a rental it probably has the smallest engine possible. Not a engine an average person will put in there truck. Also towing is a lot more about rear end gears then engine poewer. If you put 4.88 gears in a truck you could tow up a steep grade all day. I think all the fullsize trucks out there are great and you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 9:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Patrick- Good post. The Titan has a 5.6 litre.

Denny- A complex? No. Satisfied? Definitely! I'm sorry about your friends divorce, but what that has to do with the Titan outperforming the F-150 I have no idea. But glad you shared his story with us none the less.

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 11:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm going to jump in again. I've now pulled the same boat with both my '04 F150 Lariat and my dad's '06 Titan SE. IMO, there is not a lot of difference power wise. The Titan is quicker off the line, but I think the F150 is a better passer at interstate speeds. I haven't spent that much time in the Titan, but that is my first impression. I would overall give a little power advantage to the Nissan, especially without a boat, as it is quick around town, but styling definately goes to the Ford. The insides don't even compare. When shopping for mine, I came down to 2 trucks, the Lariat I bought and a Titan LE w/Navigation. The Titan was loaded, but to me, the plastic looked cheap and I hated the controls and the guages. The white Lariat guages are awesome. I noticed that this interior styling problem seems to go across the board for the Nissan lineup, as that was the main reason a bought my Acura TSX over an Infinity G35 last fall as the Infinity had a cheaper looking interior than my '98 Civic I drove in college!

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 10:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
just a joke kraig you are the one with the complex
things not going good a the dealership

By Jeff (air_bordan) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
As long as you get to the water who really cares. Sure, you can get to the lake an hour quicker at a cost of $10,000-$20,000 more whoopee! I used to tow my boat with a Chevy S-10 Blazer and I didn't break any land speed records but I got there. Some people on this site need a reality check and realize that everybody doesn't have $120K for their boat/truck package. In the 70's and 80's station wagons were considered tow vehicles. Now everybody thinks they need a huge F-950 truck with a diesel motor the size of a small house so they can tow their boat at 90 and brag to their buddies. I can't quite understand the competition/loyalty/branding that goes on in this discussion board. Isn't it supposed to be about enjoying the SPORT of wakeboarding instead of trying to justify/promote the incredible amount of money you spent on a truck/boat so you can use it here and there.

By Matthew Bird (ldr) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think all the domestic foreign stuff is so funny. Nowadays the foreign cars are made in the U.S. and the domestics are made in Mexico and Canada. The Nissan Titan is made entirely in the U.S. The only negatives about the titan that i've heard is that it really sucks gas. Also how comfortable is the back seat in the extended cab version?

By Matthew Bird (ldr) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
On another note. My parents Pull their 05 star with on 02 suburban that has Autoride suspension. I think the Auto ride makes a huge difference. After we hook up the boat you can hear the compressor turn on and the suburban levels itself out. It's pretty cool. Just something to think about if your looking at GM.

By Bruce Mac (brucemac) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 3:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
autoride rocks

By George D Croll (crollg) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 4:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My 0.2. Get the chevy if it is still between honda and chevy. The honda has a V-6 and only like 246 hp. If you do not mind a really small bed, inadequate driveline (tranny, driveline axles) and getting passed by everything going up hill get the Honda. I sat in a Ridgeline and note that the visibility out the back was poor and the mirrors were not up to par as well. The chevy has a much stronger engine (290 - 310 hp depending on which 5.3 you get), bigger and more accesible bed and stronger tranny, axles etc. I am one of those big American truck guys and my buddies 6.0l gas chevy 2500 smokes my F-250 V-10 towing uphill and I get a total ration of S#$t from him. I assume the 5.3 is totally adequate for what you need.

I do note the following comments, I have a 99 F-250 with the 275 hp V-10 and it is way underpowered for the gas mileage I get (11 empty and 8 towing) and the power. Note that in 2000 the V-10 went to 310 hp and the 05 v-10 has 355 hp. As for the 5.4 ford it now has 300 hp compared to 305 for the Titan (pretty close). I would also buy a Titan built in the good ol USA over a Ford or Chevy build in Mexico. Support American workers not American corporations making cars in Mexico or taiwan, nuff said on that.

I will note that diesel is the bomb if you are going to keep one for 200,000 miles, because that is about how far you have to drive one to offset the higher cost of the engine (+$4500) and oil changes (my old 7.3 ford diesel used 16 quarts of oil and I think diesels need to be changed every 3000 miles if you tow).

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 6:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have three family members that work for Ford in the good old usa, I am in health care and as of today i have never had one pt with good old nissan insurance, but ford, gm, and chrystler I see all the time, I do support american companies because they do support many more americans, ford has over 200,000 employees not inc dealerships in this country this does not include its land rover, jaguar, mazda or other factories, yes nissan may have a factory here with a couple thousand at best employees but remember it is an assembly plant only and not one asian company has even one retired employee that they pay benefits for

By George D Croll (crollg) on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 12:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
As a good ol American, I do own a Ford F-250 built in the USA by an American company which is 100% supporting American. I also own an 03 Jeep Wrangler (built in USA) a 98 Ford Escort (built in Mexico) and an 06 Ford Mustang (built in USA). While not 100%, I try and support both American workers and Companies.

However, I find it hard to believe that american employees working for Japaneese companies like Nissan or Toyota here in the US do not get ANY retirement benefits or even any health coverage. I call BS on this statement but feel free to point me in the direction of a credible article or website and I might change my mind.

Peace out

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 2:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I can see the need to make the Ford family richer....

GM's support for their workers is ultimately going to help drive them into the ground with the benefits they are paying. I would have no problem buying an American car if the Americans would get styling down where I would want to be seen in one and reliability that would allow me to stay out of the dealership every week. I would not be caught dead in a GM car outside of the Corvette. What are they thinking in Detroit? Explain to me why Honda can build a car for 20+ years without one name change (Accord), offer little to no rebate, and be #1 or #2 in sales in that class for the last 10 + years, while America companies have to change the image of their nameplate (example Tauras-Fusion) 3+ times, take $10k+ off the sticker, and are still lagging behind??

Now I'm going to let the flames start with this next statement. I always hear how I should support the American workers, yada, yada, yada. Sorry, but I spent 4+ years in college to watch some dude that maybe barely graduated high school make $60k plus w/ great health and retirement benefits as he watches a machine all day build a car that in the end will probably send me to the dealership 5+ times in the first year because of crappy build quality???? I'll support my countries workers on a day to day basis in restaurants, grocery stores, the housing industry, etc. Real hard working Americans that actually have to bust their butt to make a good wage. Bring on the flames, I know it's coming!

By B Whelan (tx_cook) on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 4:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Our new Titan came in. I posted the fourth reply on it but here are some pics. I dont know about other trucks, but I like how this one has a transmission temperature guage.

Upload
Upload
Upload

By Craig Anderson (stillstandin) on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 4:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ive owned. 1 Dodge truck, 1 Chevy Suburban, and 1 F150. I have my comments about each one..but I have never been to the dealer for any of them. ????? Maybe I'm lucky..I dont know, but Im reading threads, and I seriously cant relate.

While I do have some concerns about the power my F150 makes. There is not one rattle in this thing. And as far as Americans having style. There is not one American truck I would not take over the Titan. It may have a nice engine. But IMO its ugly. (no offense to anybody who has one. If you are happy, thats all that matters.) just my .2

By George D Croll (crollg) on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 6:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nick

I offer the following on American cars. 1998 Escort, owned since new, 110k miles, zero problems other than maintenance. Wifes 2000 Mustang, 47k miles, only problem was the wife put a CD into the 6 disk changer that had some glue on it and it got stuck, her fault but whole radio replaced under warranty anyway. Three Ford F-250 Super Duty trucks in the last 7 yuears. Never had a problem with any of them, 2 new one used. 03 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, I burned up the auto tranny at 15k miles after some serious abuse (Dusy Ershim trail, 5x rubicon trail, moab 2 weeks in two years, lots of other hard core wheeling). The jeep is lifted (long arm kit), oversize tires (35's on 4.10 gears) and the underside shows the abuse it has been subjectd to. Tranny was rebuilt under warranty with no hassle. Now that I have a trans temp guage I know when I am pushing too hard.

Bottom line, American cars are not perfect but are not crap by any stretch of the imagination. Just like boats dealer relationship is important.

As for the Accord being #1 or #2 for so long. I guess Ford Chevy and Dodge should just give up on making trucks now that Nissan, Honda and Toyota are making trucks. Ford clearly does not get being the best selling full size trucks for how long now 20+ years. While I respect Nissan and especially Toyota trucks (not Honda at all) for reliable and useful small trucks they have a long way to go in offering anywhere near the options you can get on a Ford Chevy or Dodge. Think Regular, Extended and Four door models in short and long bed versions with cheap to extra plush interiors and several engine and tranny combos. The big three are way ahead of the Japanees in full size trucks and will remain so until they actually get serious and offer the customization of American trucks.

Enough rant, gotta go watch UCLA/Memphis

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 4:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Quote:
Nissan will build a heavier-duty version of its Titan pickup in order to expand the lineup and compete head-to-head with Detroit automakers.

Nissan plans to redesign its big Titan pickup in mid-2009 and according to a report in Automotive News, a heavy-duty version will be part of the redesign. A diesel engine option will be part of the upgrade, but there's no word yet on who will supply the new engine. The truck will target domestic three-quarter-ton trucks like the Chevrolet Silverado 2500, Dodge Ram 2500 and Ford F-250.

Toyota later this year will begin assembling its redesigned 2007 Tundra pickup, and executives have said the company is studying the feasibility of adding a heavy-duty model to compete with similar products from Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford and GMC.

Source: Edmunds.Com

The above quote was taken off of Titantalk.com. I like how people say that the Japanese automakers will never compete with the American automakers in the fullsize truck market. HaHa! They were saying the same thing back in the 70's and 80's when Japanese cars started getting popular and look at them now. There's a reason why the Big 3 aren't profitable in the US anymore. Foreign automakers!

Then there's the debate about supporting american workers, buy American. It's not black and white anymore. It's a world market! There's more foreign parts in American cars than in foreign cars. But then there's the argument that the Big 3 are American owned. Not true! Diamler Chrysler is owned by Mercedes Benz. (Goes by a different corporation name, I know, before all you jump on me.) And here's what really kills me, the Big 3 are building their vehicles in Canada and Mexico, while the Japanese automakers are making their cars here in Good Ol' America! So who's supporting the American auto workers?!? Ford just laid off 30,000 workers while Nissan is hiring more and more. And as for the Titan, it was designed, engineered and is built 100% right here in the what??? That's right....The Good Ol' USA!! So for you guys who buy based on the fact that it's built here in the USA, would you rather have a vehicle built here or in Mexico?

Also, I have some numbers here for you. As of 2004 (Two years ago) Nissan's capital investment in the US was $6 Billion. That includes manufacturing facilities in Canton, Mississippi: Smyrna, Tennessee: vehicle styling design in San Diego, California: Engineering in Farmington Hills, Michigan. I don't know what else they have added since then.

Remember guys, the Titan is the first full size truck by Nissan. It's pretty impressive to say the least. The Titan competes nicely and exceeds the Big 3 in areas and this is coming from a first generation truck from a company that has never built a full size truck. It competes with trucks that have been built for 50+ years. Are the Big 3 scared? Oh yeah! This is the last area the Big 3 have had locked down due to the lack of presence of the foreign automakers. Now THEY have set their sights on it and it's starting to show. The Big 3 lost the battle in cars a long time ago, then in SUV's and now they are getting hit in the area that has always been a profitable area. The Big 3 outsell the Japanese trucks at least 10:1, but that will continually get smaller and smaller. Will they ever take the majority? Probably not, but the question is, Can the Big 3 survive sharing the full size truck market with the Japanese?

I do think the new F-150 is a solid truck. Time will tell how it fends down the road. But so far it's a great truck. We'll see what GM comes out with in their new trucks.

(Message edited by kraig on March 26, 2006)

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
george they do get benefits, there is just not many of them (employees), and they have only been here 5-6 yrs so no one will have retired benefits for 20 more years this makes there overhead low, it is much cheaper for foreign companies to ship parts and assemble here than ship whole cars that is the only reason the assembly plants are here, gm and ford spend aprox $3,000 per vehicle for employee benefits (according to wallstreet journal)
nick it is much harder to go to a factory every day and work than live in a dorm and smoke pot not to mention to get a college degree what can be any easier these days
whelan, back to the trucks your titan is sharp

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 7:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
a quick poll
who has one of the weak american built engines in their boat
I do, in fact I don't think many offer those strong asian engines maybe someone should call mastercraft, supra, tige, malibu and tell them how great their engines are
a side note from wall street journal GM alone effects 1 out of 10 US dollars, if they go bankrupt it would devastate US economy including boat industry

By TNM (troublesnomore) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Short story, my friend was coming back from the river, he was towing a 25ft Eliminator boat with a small Toyota pick-up, never had any problems in the past but this time he lost control of the truck. The insurance company said the driver had overloaded the truck, the insurance company estimated the boat and trailer weight between 6500 -7000lbs, over the Toyota towing limit. They canceled his insurance, breach of contract. He had to pay to fix his boat and the truck was totaled.

You, the owners are responsible for your vehicle. Your insurance will not/may not cover you or the vehicle if overload the vehicle/trailer.
They will look at equipment malfunctions, overloading, brake and tire maintenance, the skill and training of the driver, and any substance abuse issues.
Most insurance carriers have experienced accident lawyers working on their side. Their aim is to give you as little money as possible.

One of the most critical aspects of safely operating a vehicle & trailer is knowing the weights involved. The first thing to determine is how much is being towed and confirming that it is within the capacities of the equipment being used.

Thatís why you need to go larger than you think.

By TNM (troublesnomore) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I found this on the web, it may help someone.........
The Truck...

Get a brochure from a dealer and learn
GVWR (Gross vehicle weight rating)
GCWR (Gross combined weight rating)
Available payload including passengers and accessories
Towing with a bumper hitch
Axle weight rating and loading
Transmissions and rear end ratios
Trailer tow packages and transmission oil coolers
Diesel vs. gasoline engines
Two wheel drive vs. four wheel drive or off-road configuration
Will the truck be raised such that the trailer will not ride level?
Other details that may be gleaned from the brochure
Overloading your truck may be prohibited in some states and could be dangerous.
Overloading may void the manufacturer's warranty.
Other Considerations...

Decide if you need a standard cab, extended cab or crew cab
Remember, a larger cab increases the wheel base and decreases maneuverability
A larger cab adds some weight and decreases payload correspondingly
A larger cab may be more comfortable and needed for extra passengers
Decide on long bed or short bed
A long bed increases wheel base...
A long wheel base is generally a more stable platform and offers a better ride
A long bed will allow a 90į angle to the trailer; a short bed won't
A long bed adds some weight and decreases payload but is roomier for other types of hauling
A short bed with an adjustable hitch may provide adequate maneuverability
Decide how often you plan to tow a trailer
This may effect you engine, rear end ratio, bed length and other choices
If you already have the truck, some changes or modifications can be made to accommodate extra loads
Don't be in a hurry
Ask questions
Other campers and trailer towers are often a good source of information
Restudy the truck you'd like if unsure about anything
If you're new to trailer towing, it's better to err by buying too much truck than not enough

(Message edited by TroublesNoMore on March 26, 2006)

By Ryan Newton (newty) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would seriously talk to a Honda service guy and not the salesman. The Honda Pilot is rated for 4500 or so and the wife really wanted a Honda. Of course the salesman said it would tow our boat w/ no problem. I later talked to a service guy he told me that Honda tends to over rate towing for sales. He felt that the drive train was not sufficient for more than 3000lb except on rare occasions. We bought a Tahoe and love it. Also I have a 99 Silverado that I tow with. It tows well and I have never had any problems. they both have the same motor but is geared differently and runs circles around my truck on the highway.
Chevy, Ford, and Dodge (full size) have been around a long time and have proven themselves in one way or another. I have some reservations about a manufacturer that has never built trucks and has only been building them for a year or two. I would wait on the Honda and see if problems arise.

My .02

By Joe (hudsonvalley) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
"ask the question, why is ford the best selling truck......"

I know that may seem impressive to you but....it's quite easy. Fleet sales, the fact that Ford also manufactures dump bodies, body-on-frame for campers as well as MANY other non-specific commercial trucks. That along with the moronic "Buy American only" stigma keep the normally well educated buyer from crossing over to, in some cases, advancement. So anything being a "best seller" shouldn't impress you. Selling the most of something doesn't always mean selling the best...as is the case here.

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 1:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
just a little info on nisssan about 5 yrs ago when the company went BANKRUPT it was bought by the FRENCH the titan was designed by RENAULT we all know how good those french engineers are

By Small Wake Inc. (airwarrior04) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 3:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chevy Duramax Diesel

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 5:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Denny- Please show your source where it reports that Nissan went bankrupt and was bought by Renault. In 2002 Nissan was considering it but I cannot find any info that it actually did. Also, I'd like to see your source that states the Titan was designed by Renault. The Titan was designed and is built here in the USA. Of course, I'm sure there was SOME aspects of the design that did not take place here, but for the most part it was designed and engineered here. Please, show us your sources. I can post mine if you'd like as well.

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 5:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kraig I thought you would know that renault owned them you know every other stat
Try WALL STREET JOURNAL
Look up info on any stock database (E-TRADE)
assembled here only, not designed

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 5:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kraig renault bought nissan while on the brink of bankruptcy but their ceo has done very well with the company turning it around. Carlos Ghosn is CEO of Renault and Nissan Motors he is credited with turning Nissan around he was moved to nissan from renault after the takeover

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We! WE!

By Joe (hudsonvalley) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Renault does not "own" Nissan. Denny needs to read more than just headlines. Nissan was financially strapped (sort of like Ford and GM seem to be currently) and was helped by Renault when they bought a 34% share of Nissan. Since then their control raised to nearly 44% giving them financial control but never ownership.
As for your Titan information, it was fully designed by Nissan North America purposefully for North America in its' CA Headquarters and built in the USA. It's also only sold in North America. Renault was a financial part of Nissan only...however new Nissan models to come will have some joint venture input from Renault.
Sounds a lot like Chrysler and Mercedes except Mercedes actually owns Dodge/Chrysler.
So what was your info supposed to prove anyhow? Even had you been correct...what's your point? Nissan never went bankrupt, and isn't owned by Renault. Your not a very reliable source of information now are you.

By JTW (sangerlover) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good info denny.

By Joe (hudsonvalley) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
"Good info denny."

Mis-info, but info nonetheless.

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
On the 44% ownership, it is a public company no one could own 100%, just like GM you can buy them on stock market but 44% would be controlling interest,

By denny brummett (supra24ssv) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not sure on the % but I think Ford controls Mazda with about %30

By Joe (hudsonvalley) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thats right:

Ford owns:
-Aston Martin
-Ford
-Jaguar
-Land Rover (bought from BMW)
-Lincoln
-Mazda (Ford owns 33% of Mazda)
-Mercury
-Volvo cars

By Joe (hudsonvalley) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Buit here's the biggest kicker. Read more on Nissan and Renault.

Nissan owns:
-Infiniti
-Nissan
-Renault (Nissan owns 15%)

Renault owns:
-Nissan (Renault owns 44%)

But I,m still interested in the importance of this to you.

(Message edited by hudsonvalley on March 26, 2006)

By Psyclone (cyclonecj) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 8:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
'96 Bronco XLT with towing package
351W, AT 229K miles, still pulls the boat no problema with AC blowin. Seats 5 plus gear. Bought for 4.5k off Ebay:-) Orig motor and trans. All I've done to routine maintenance and some front end work.

I think you guys are nuts for paying that much for a tow vehicle. My bucks go into the market or real estate. There are plenty of beater trucks out there that will do the job cheap.

My boat has the Japanese engine, not the truck!

By depoint50ae (depoint50ae) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 8:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dude I saw a commercial today that had a Toyota pickup that was left in the low tide by a kayaker. While the guy was out on his kayak the tide came in and bashed the truck back and forth in the rocks. Here is the kicker though by the time the guy returned the tide had gone back out and the truck was unscratched and was right side up!!

That is a seriously bad ass truck!! I am going to sell my Z-71 and get one of these MOFO's.

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 9:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Denny,

Sorry I struck a nerve in your red blooded American body. Also, I apologize in advance for spoiling your image of the average American college student, but at no time did I partake in the smoking of anything in my dorm room. I did enjoy the occasional liquid beverage but that is a whole other story. I know a lot of people that work in factories like we are talking about, and it isn't exactly the toughest job in the world.

I'm not totally bashing America vehicles. Like I said, I bought an '04 F150, because at the time, I felt it fit my needs the best. Did I like it? I loved the truck. But I won't lie, it had more problems in the year I owned it than the 4 Honda made vehicles I have driven over the past 10 years combined.

Craig, the look of the Titan was the only reason I went to the F150, so I totally agree with you there.

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joe- Bravo Bravo!! Denny, can you say "Owned?" You definitely got owned by Joe on that one. I was going to step in and say the exact same thing that Joe so elegantly laid out for you. I was thinking you were only reading the headlines and not the whole story as well. And I agree with Joe, what was your point? Carefull when attacking a product you don't like just because it's different than what YOU like. And if you do attack it, please have all your facts straight and back them up. Now, let me finish by saying (Yet again) I DO like the F-150. I've never really liked any of the Fords, but this is one I do like. The Titan and the F-150 are very similar trucks. But it's Nissan's first generation full size truck and I can't wait till they redo it and come out with the second generation. Denny, embrace the Titan as a worthy competitor, after all it DOES benefit you as well. Without competition the Big 3 could continue to put out lesser quality vehicles. All this does is force them to improve their quality. Which of course benefits all of us!

By Joe (hudsonvalley) on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 8:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey, no problem, Somebody has to educate those who bash for seemingly no reason or benefit. I may have an opinion but would still never bash another manufacuter just because it may not be of my personal preference. I've yet to see a full size truck I don't like. The new Fords are impressive to say the least. And I've always loved the big-rig look of the Ram. I don't mean to try and stomp anyone, but stick to facts...and facts that have a point.

(Message edited by hudsonvalley on March 27, 2006)

By Brian LaFavor (discolafinger) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 9:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
GOOD OLD stock FORD, these work good for a tow vehicleUpload

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If we were in the market right now, it'd be REEEEALLY hard to pass up the crazy discounts that GM's giving right now. In Dec. '03 when we bought the Sequoia, I estimated we were paying a $5K premium over the Expedition and Tahoe. Today, my guess is that the same un-redesigned design would command a $10K premium over a Tahoe. I'd still pay that over a Ford, but just don't think I could pass up a Tahoe for that cheap.

Pricing power (both new and resale) is the best indicator of what the public wants. Question is, how much of that Japanese brand power has been earned through quality and value and how much through advertising. How much of that brand power was earned back in the day (pre-'90's really). How much of that power is actually deserved today? Our '93 Explorer was a total POS. Straight up. Neighbor's had two later model ones with zero problems.

BTW, at 3.5 years & 50K and the Sequoia's been in once for squeaky moonroof and limp side mirrors. Still need to take it in for a steering joint recall. It eats brake pads every 20K. VERY lucky to get 19 mpg on the highway, usually 10.5 towing and probably 12-14mpg while in the service of soccer mom. Might not have any style, but man, it's a comfy ride, the driver's visibility is just awesome, controls are clean, and there's no cheap plastic or fabric anywhere. Despite those issues mentioned above, we're still in love with that thing.

TOYOTA's got so much free cash laying around that they could come out with a full line of great trucks all at once in a matter of a couple years. But they won't. Go figure. We've been waiting for a really HD truck for what, 25 years now?

By Festivus Maxximus (festivus) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 3:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
derek- I put an aero turbine on my '02 Sequioa and my mpg went up 2-3 on the hwy. Plus, it sounds a little less soccer-taxi-like. Not terribly expensive, I think like 200 + install.

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a K&N intake on mine for a couple years but took it off. Still have the TRD cat-back, though so it sounds healthy, just not NASCAR.

By Attila (attila916) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chevy, happy with mine. Mud tires, lifted, no rattles.
Upload

By Aaron Ware (99_slaunch) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
NICE Attila!! I have 67,ooo on my wifes Duramax and no rattles either.
Upload
Upload

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 9:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My 2001 Silverado is a "work truck", crank windows, rubber mats, and a dented bed. I think it spent the first two years of it's live working in a sand quarry (the frame rails are stuffed with sand). The next two years it lived as a delivery truck for fitness equipment. I bought it with 100k miles after they ran it out of oil and spun the poor little V6 lower end bearings. I threw a 40k junkyard motor in it and it runs like a top.

This is a half ton truck. A couple months ago we filled the bed with dirt resulting from backyard landscaping. The drop station weight tag said 3,420lbs... Whoops I guess that's a bit overloaded. I won't do that again but it actually didn't seem to do that bad with more than 3 times it's weight limit. I think a Toyota put in the same situation would have bent in the middle. Maybe not with the Titan, it has a good frame (they displayed the frame and drivetrain at the autoshow).

I feel pretty comfortable that any Dodge or Ford would have done just as well as the Chevy. Fact of the matter, most landscapers do this to american vehicles on a regular basis. What I considered as a somewhat stupid mistake is routine practice for some contractors.

My friend has a Toyota pickup, we towed with it, once... Obviously I am a fan of american trucks. The only real contender from Japan may be the Titan? Isn't the Ridgeline just a Pilot with a bed? I think a better comparison to the Ridgeline would be an Explorer Sport-trac or Chevy Colorado 4 door.

I have nothing against Japanese vehicles, I just don't think they understand the american truck market where USE=ABUSE.

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 9:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 2001 Toyota Tundra as a work truck and talk about a truck that can take it in the work force. I have 184,000 somewhat hard driven miles. Not to say I abuse it, but it gets worked pretty hard though. The only thing that has gone wrong with this truck is a seal in the rear axle leaked oil. Due to overloading on a regular basis. My error, not a truck flaw. Here's what really amazed me was a while back I had a coworker load up some rolling compactors onto a trailer and return them to the rental shop. I didn't know how much they weighed. The trailer I know weighs 1500lbs., and I later found out that each compator (Had two on the trailer) weighed 5,000lbs!! He loaded both to the front of the trailer, hence a very large load on the hitch and frame. Total trailer wieght was between 11,500 and 12,000lbs. Besides the extremely squirly steering, the Tundra handled it. It didn't break or bend anywhere. The Tundra is a solid truck. Not as big as others, but very strong and solid none the less. FYI- I work in the rock business, so you can just imagine what kind of use our Tundra's get. We're harder on trucks than landscapers by far!

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
When you say rock, do you mean rock star? :-) Attila, Aaron, nice rides! Mikeski, good point.

Hey, let me post up my hillbilly ride on its way up to NoCal with 160K on the odo...btw, I've had this little POS loaded with a 3/4 pallet of 18" porcelain floor tiles - pretty sure the axle would break. Suspension's soft, I know the Tacos are tougher.

Upload

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com