Salt vs. Trailer Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Salt vs. Trailer « Previous Next »
By jon bassham (texasbear08) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
We have an 05 SANTE with a painted dorsey trailer, unfortunatly i was unaware of the salt content of the Brazos river... the main place of use for our boat.

Right now i spray it down after each use and coat all the obvious vunerable points with Corrosion X Heavy Duty, but i am still getting rust after only one season.

What else can i do to protect the trailer?

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
jon, all it takes is one dip in saltwater and it starts to do that. You really need a galvanized trailer to be in even brackish water. You'll miss spots on the traielr during yoru wash down, it's impossible to get it all off. your regiment now is probably as good as you'll get.

I didn't think the saltwater made it that far up north ( Waco).
Also try going ot www.gcwa.com , search for Trey, he went ot Baylor and rode alot while up there. He may know of some other spots

By jon bassham (texasbear08) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wasnt aware of the salt content in the brazos until this winter when i was talking with my dealer and he suggested a flush kit.

I wish there was a way to seal it or something. Maybe i could wash out the inside of the trailer really well... fill it with Corrosion X then seal the holes and line-x the hole thing.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you have a nice trailer then it would be worth it to have it stripped of everything chemically dipped to remove all the rust and paint, then have it galvanized. Either that or consider it disposable and get a new one in a couple of years. Also plan on disk brakes if you do not already have them, as they are easier to wash than drum brakes.

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What Peter said. I have a friend who purchased a nice shiny painted trailer and he said he would keep it in the fresh water but there is so much salt water around here he eventually succumb to the salt and is kicking himself for not going galvanized.

By Aaron (abergener) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 7:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Any ideas on how costly it is to clean and dip a painted trailer? Any ideas on how to find out who does this? A friend of mine did this over 15 years ago and the trailer still looks good.

By Mad Child (madchild1) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 8:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
salt owns trailers.

By GRAMPS (akman) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 8:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you don't like the look of a galvy trailer there is an option.

You can have a galvanized trailer "epoxy dipped" so that it is color matched to your boat.

I have a galvanized trailer under my boat, I have seen too many painted trailers that were NEVER put in salt that were plenty banged up.

My trailer was double dipped in black epoxy when it first came in and still looks great.

I also went with a "C" channel trailer versus a "tube" trailer. The channel dries completely and can be cleaned really good versus a tube trailer which tends to trap water inside the tubing.

Some things to remember about your trailer, pay attention to the jack. It will go bad really fast if you don't keep it up. Keep an eye on your electrical too, the wiring will take a crap if you use it in brackish water.

BEFORE my trailer ever hit the water I put "liquid electrical" on all the butt connectors and put marine grease on all the connections that plug into the lights itself.

In 3 years I have not had ONE light go bad because of corrosion.

You can still have your trailer stripped, sandblasted and etched so they can galvanize it. But my advise would be to just use it for 3 to 4 years and just get another one when it takes really starts to look like crap.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com