painting speaker cans Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » painting speaker cans « Previous Next »
By Ryan (rgilby) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 10:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just built (am building) two speaker cans from 6" pvc pipe - they are turning out pretty sweet actually, but are fairly heavy. if i use a round clamp for my tower and run a 10 mm bolt through the top of the can (from the inside going up) and into the clamp - along with some locktight, will those hold? a general question i know, but just curious. also, what's the best way to prep and paint pvc - what products, how many coats, etc. - so they hold up to travel and don't chip away? thanks!

By Michael Hayes (mhayes) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'd just give me a light sanding for adhesion and then apply the paint. It's either Rustoleum or Krylon that makes a paint specifically for plastics....the last place I saw it was at Lowe's or Home Depot. You'll find it in the section with the other spray paints.

By Jeremy Hurst (jrhurst) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 1:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used high heat engine paint from autozone . It stuck awesomly , and was really shinny . After that and a couple coats of clear , u cant tell they are PVC by looking ..

By Mike (board218) on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 9:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used bondo on the seam where the end cap and the coupling fit together, sanded the entire can with a small vibrating palm sander, and painted them with American Tradition plastic enamel which I bought at Lowes. They turned out excellent. I used a stainless steele muffler type clamp to mount them to my Moster Tower. Good Luck! Upload

By Byron (bkoz) on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike those things look real good. Are those the pioneer 4 ways? I just bough a set but havent installed them. How do they sound? Can you here them behind the boat?

By Ryan (rgilby) on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
mike - what type of connections did you use on the can? i've looked at the banana plugs, but i'm not an electrical genious...and neither are the boneheads working at radio shack... none of them can even tell me how to wire them or what else i need. any pictures of the connections you used?? they do look good...i got mine bondo'd and sanded...just need to do the connections and i'll be painting. any suggestions??

By Mike (board218) on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Byron, they are Pioneer grills but the speakers are actually Infinity three ways. The grills that came with the Infinity's were a metal mesh type which would have rusted in no time. I actually picked the Pioneer Grills up, which are all plastic, on ebay for like $10.00. The Infinity's sound GREAT! And yes, you can hear them behind the boat.
Ryan, I used standard binding post type connections for the speaker wire. You know, the type you unscrew, stick the wire through, and then tighten. Bought them at Radio Shack. After tightening the wires in the post's, I smeared clear silicone around them. They haven't rusted or corroded yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

By Jory Swim (carcrz) on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 4:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
use Krylon Fusion - specifically for plastics. I used it on some patio furniture & I was more than happy w/ the results. The only down side is that they only have about 5 colors of the stuff. As for the terminals, check out what crutchfield has for some ideas.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com