Boat pulls to the left Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Boat pulls to the left « Previous Next »
By The Spleen (thespleen) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 1:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm looking at an '84 Ski Nautique; one of the wierd things is that the steering pulls to the left. When I was driving with my hand on the wheel I didn't notice it, but as soon as I'd let go it would turn pretty hard to the left (like not drift, but really turn). The fins, prop, and rudder appear to all be in line and straight...
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Jared

By Chris Brown (cbrown) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 1:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Majority of inboards will do that. Most pull to the right but Nautiques have an opposite prop rotation, reason they pull to the left. It was from the prop wash and was originally designed so the the boat would offer a truer straighter pull through a slalom course. You can get rid of it by grinding on the rudder in the right spot. I do not know where that is but someone probably does.

(Message edited by cbrown on March 16, 2006)

By Ed Geary (ed_g) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 5:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My brother in law has an 1985 Ski Supreme. Does the same thing.

By Mike O'Callaghan (greenpinky) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 6:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, nothing to worry about. As long as it's not pulling hard. If you had to fight it with your hands on the wheel, I'd be concerned. But if you didn't notice it when you had your hands on the wheel, don't worry about it.

By notidad (noti_dad) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 10:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Your rudder is tuned to pull that way for the slalom course. It has nothing to do with prop rotation. Filing is a way to reduce it, but you can EASILY take too much off. And possibly make it pull the other way. If you file, take VERY little off and try it. You can always take more off, but can't put any back on.

By swass (swass) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 10:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is there a trim tab on the rudder that you can adjust?

By notidad (noti_dad) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The older ones didn't have the tabs. you gotta file if ya want it gone. Just be careful.

By The Spleen (thespleen) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 7:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the quick responses.
Jared

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 5:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My 84 Ski Nautique did the same thing. You will need more than a file to change it, think grinder probably need to take about 1/16" off the right trailing edge of the rudder.

Find a free launch ramp with a nearby power outlet. Grind - test - repeat until satisfied

By Cliff Griffin (seattle) on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 5:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sell it! It's broken!

Sorry,

I can't find any posts to add constructive criticism to today.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com