NVS addiction Set up Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » NVS addiction Set up « Previous Next »
By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok, so my friend and I want to get a serious system for this summer. So I said NVS addictions, and he said ok. I was just wondering if there is anything I should know about installing these. I plan on getting a CLARION APX480M Marine Amp. It says 230 watts to each channel when bridged. I know that isn't making the full potential of the speakers, but I doubt I will ever have them at full. Also, any recommendations on head units or will a clarion marine head unit be okay? Also, should I get a deep cycle battery for it?

By C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm not a stereo genius, but I believe the NVS Addictions will need more than 230 watts. You should call NVS and ask. I have 1200 watts powering my 1010s. Also, I wouldn't worry about buying a big name amp. I run a cheap MA Audio and my NVS are as loud as they come.

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
230 RMS watts to each speaker wont be enough?

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on March 15, 2006)

By TeamNeptunes (chas) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You should be ok. We try to run 500 to 700watts to a pair.

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What about second battery? Do yall run deep cycle marine batteries as a second? Also, do you just hook the second battery up in parrallel?

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 1:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I use golf cart batteries in series, but yes most use blue tops or some other deep cycle for accesories. Mikeski has a good system using a perko and a combiner/isolator. I use just a perko, others use just isolator/relays.

By nacho (denverd1) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 1:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
you can hook it up that way. you wouldn't be able to run the speakers for very long w/ the engine off. If you want to hear 'em with the engine off for any period of time, then you get into isolator/combiner junk. but they're for when you ride, right?

By Ryan Rantz (airrantz) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 1:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Leo, if you have a dry spot to install the amp, I'd look into a more powerful car audio amp in the same price range. There are PPI PCX4125s on ebay often for around $400 http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Precision-Power-PCX-4125-Amplifier-NIB-PPI-Amp_W0QQitemZ5873894616QQcategoryZ4950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. Not sure what kind of deal you get on the Clarion but they retail online for around $359. The PPI will give you 500 watts RMS when bridged, and will make the Addictions pound. I'd recommend a second battery (I use Optima Blue Tops because they're small, powerful, and readily available), and some sort of battery isolation so you'll always have a fully charged starting battery. I'll post pics on my setup when I'm finished the next couple weeks to give you a better idea.

By shane (auto) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 2:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Word. I can run my 6 internal speakers, 2 1000 PPI Amps, Jl W7 and pair of Addictions for 4 hours with some serious volume, this is with dual blue tops. I run 500 to each addiction.

By Ryan Rantz (airrantz) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 2:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Shane, good to hear, your setup is similar to mine, and I was debating on needing more blue tops, sounds like 2 dedicated to the stereo will do the trick for my application. I get a little greedy sometimes seeing all of these Sound Illusion installs with 9 blue tops.

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 4:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well, I wont be running them with the power off. I wanted a marine amp because I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a high price amp when it might go bad in a year or two because of the humidity.

Also, how does the isolator work?

Thanks Ryan, some pics would be great. I want to make sure I have this set up the right way the first time.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on March 15, 2006)

By Ryan Rantz (airrantz) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 4:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you're running a lot of accessories (stereo, LEDs, tower lights, heater, etc.), you'll want separate battery bank for those accessories, and a dedicated starting battery. If you wire your starting battery and accessory battery in parallel without some form of isolation you're sound system will drain both batteries at the same time. Check out hellroaring.com for a very good isolator, or Stinger Electronics for a good relay.

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 5:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Honestly, the only extras I have will be the Stereo. We dont have a heater, lights, or LEDs.

By Ryan Rantz (airrantz) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 6:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is the Clarion amp the only amp you'll have? If so you should be fine, you just won't have a lot of reserve for running the sound system with the engine off.

By rodney p (azwakekid) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 9:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hate to but in but y do all u guys say to use blue tops?... i mean the warranty on the battery aint that good and does it really matter about deep cycle? y couldnt you just use a red top they have a 3 year free replacement warranty and will it hurt the stero that much?

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
if your going to mount the battery right side up, just get a deep cycle battery from wal-mart or sporting goods store. While it's a "wet" battery it will still hold up in a marine environment, and you'll still have a good warranty, but save close to $100. The purpose of a deep cycle battery vs a red top or other standard battery is the deep cycle is made to be "cycled" (drained) down and recharged over and over again. Blue Tops are great batteries, but not necc. in most standard marine applications, and you can find similar size batteris w/ more reserve than the optima's.

By shane (auto) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 12:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
now that being said, my boat did not start, and i used my 3rd blue top to do the starting

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 1:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just some FYI (been mentioned before) most golf cart batteries when ran in series have the capacity of approx 4-5 blue tops.

By David (tparider) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Golf cart batteries rule!

By Byron (bkoz) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 3:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Actually you can get that amp (clarion) on Ebay for under 200.00 shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CLARION-APX480M-4-CHANNEL-MARINE-BOAT-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38638QQitemZ8046957057QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Another suggestion would be to go with an amp like this for around the same price that'll give you a bit more power.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HIFONICS-ZEUS-ZX6400-680w-4-chan-CAR-AMP-SUB-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ5878690249QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 5:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
what size golf cart batteries should I use? Also, where can I get them at about how much should I expect to pay?

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 7:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did some research and the trojan t-105 was highly reccomended. I paid $60/piece (you'll need two to make 12v.) the trojan battery website has a dealer locator. They are a very popeular battery in the golf cart industry and you shouldn't have a hard time finding them.

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 7:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 8:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/Golf-Cart-Battery-12-Volt-90-Amp-Hour-NEW_W0QQitemZ7225737721QQcategoryZ40155QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How about something like that?

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 9:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
nope , you need two 6 volt batteries. that is a 12 volt . the 6 volt I'm talking abotu has aroudn 225 amp hours

By leo lasecki (malibuboarder75) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 9:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Adam. So does anyone have an outline of how all of this needs to be set up. My current system is just hooked up to the battery and head unit, nothing fancy. I dont have a second battery with my current system and have no idea on how to set up this new system. I don't plan on running the speakers without the boat on. I don't run my current system without the boat on. Will I still need an extra battery hooked up? Thanks for the help.

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 7:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dod some seraches on here there are alot of good diagrams you cna follow. As long as your alternator can handle the amperage draw of your acc. you do not "need" a second battery, but it's good to have some sort fo backup on baord. WEather it be a jumper battery box or a second battery.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com