aslo, where do you ground in a boat? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » aslo, where do you ground in a boat? « Previous Next »
By Todd Brown (t_brown) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I need to ground my new amp and there really is not a place to ground this thing. Everything is fiberglass. Could you ground to the engine block? Run it back to the negative on the battery?

Thanks!

By Chris Brown (cbrown) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
neg. on battery is what most people use.

By Todd Brown (t_brown) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
cool, that is what I was thinking.

By Michael Hayes (mhayes) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 6:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Todd, you can do either. The negative terminal of the battery is connected to the engine block.

By nacho (denverd1) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 8:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
engine block

By sam mcalilly (sammc_11) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 7:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
some boats have a plate to ground under the drivers dash

By adam Curtis (acurtis_ttu) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 7:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ground as much as you can to the battery or block, if not you could creat ground loops (will allow noise to enter into your stereo system)with multiple amps.

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 5:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Technically there is no ground on a boat. Electrically speaking the ground is the conductor connected to the earth.

With marine electrical systems we need to think of things in slightly different terms. All of my stereo system electrical components connect to a junction block that is connected to the battery with 1/0 wire. This places all of the stereo's electrical components at the same voltage. What you want to avoid is your amps (-) terminals being connected to a different potential than your decks (-) potential. This is something that can cause alternator whine/noise.

My stereo battery bank is connected to the boat's charging circuit through the boat's factory battery via a combiner. If I had upgraded my alternator I would have connected the stereo batteries to the charging circuit at the block and alternator.

If you attach the negative lead of an amplifier to factory ground plate you are most likely overloading the factory electrical system. This would be the case with my system in my Nautique, my buddies Malibu electrical system was adequate for the addition of two 100W amplifiers.

My point is that this answer will change depending on the size of your alternator, size of your amplifiers (and lighting systems), and the size of the boat's factory mains.

By Todd Brown (t_brown) on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok, I was just going to ground my one, 200 watt amp to the engine block. Will that work?

By Mikeski (mikeski) on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For a single 200w amp you could go block or battery which ever is most convenient (you are not going to be straining the electricals). It the battery is far from the block and you get engine noise you may need to switch it.

enjoy,

Mike

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com