?? on overloading the boat. Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » ?? on overloading the boat. « Previous Next »
By TNM (troublesnomore) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 5:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I’m checking into buying a wakeboarding boat and I was wondering whether you can overload the boat.
I was told by a boat dealer (not a tournament/ski dealer) never to overload your boat with passengers and cargo beyond its safe carrying capacity.
He said not exceed the "U.S. Coast Guard Maximum Capacities" information label. (Capacity Plate is inside the boat).
He said you must combine all of the people, food, supplies etc… plus the weight of the full ballast tanks in order to obtain the correct weight and compare that to the capacity plate.

If this is true, I would think that most boats would be overweight with a full crew of friends and ballast tanks.
A couple of questions??????
Is this accurate, is a standard wakeboarding boat over the weight with a full ballast or does the capacity plate take into the weight of the full ballast tanks?
What if you have a boat over 20ft in length, how do you calculate the carrying capacity for boats over 20ft?
Did you/anyone ever have a warning or ticket on the water?

Found this on the web.
“The Coast Guard requires all single-hulled boats of less than 20 feet in length to have a capacity plate, installed where visible from the operator's station.”
The capacity plate tells you the maximum number of people or carrying weight in pounds, and the maximum horsepower recommended for the boat.

By entrust clothing (entrustclothing) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 5:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
my old boat said 1500lb capacity, and i ran over 2000lbs with no issues and i know people that get way crazier than that, i've been told it will really take a lot to overload a boat. the sticker is just a safe reccomendation

By Joshua Tickle (showtime) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 7:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i add more ballast than what the capacity is ----

By Troy (liveoz) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 7:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think all responsible dealers should probably tell you exactly what he did (CYA)

I also think most people on this forum run slightly to waaay over what the plate says. I am guessing that the plate reccomendation is for an empty boat, all passengers, gear, fuel, and ballast counts towards your total weight.

By Justin Poop (moombarider132) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 8:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
well its not illegal to go over the recommended weight however some people might say its not safe. i think i speak for all of us when i say f*ck them!! i run 1700 to 2300 pounds plus the usual 5-8 people and im fine haha big wakes are the best dude

more weight=big wake

By Justin Poop (moombarider132) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 8:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
not illegal for boats over 20ft i think well yeah im pretty sure

By C.I.E. J-Rod (jarrod) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Believe me, I one of the worst offenders, but I'm pretty sure you CAN be cited for overloading your boat. The fact is that grossly overloaded boats are a lot less safe.

By Craig Strait (yosquire) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 9:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
When water comes over the side of the boat.....It's overloaded.

Solution: Take weight out, quick.

Nah, in reality, We've run my buddies Supra (1200lbs capacity) with 2000lbs of ballast, and 11 people.

I ride with a guy who weighs down his Wakesetter VLX (1100lbs capacity?) with 3500-4000 of ballast. Plus 4-6 dudes. You have to be careful, at that weight, to keep the bow from dunking under when you cross wakes at slow speeds.. doesn't sink the boat, just makes a soggy mess.

This debate does bring up a liability question.. If a boat were to sink, and people were to die. The owner of the boat could potentially be liable for disregarding the placard and over-weighting the boat. Which means they could be paying a portion of their paycheck to someone else for the rest of their life.

By Craig Strait (yosquire) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 9:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Another thought... The question has been raised, "Does ballast count towards total weight." I don't know the answer to this...

If it does count toward total weight, How can MB and Epic get away putting 2500lbs and 4200lbs ballast systems in their boat. In reality, you could not even fill those ballast systems have way before the boat is overloaded.....?

Thoughts?

By Scott (KYBOOL) (sperbet) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 10:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ballast does count toward total weight. The coast guard plate is a recommendation not law. You can put a million #s in your boat if you really want to. For any boat over 20 ft it is just a recommendation, nothing more.

By markj (markj) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 6:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The total factory ballast weight is included with Coast Guard ratings. In other words you can ad the amount of weight your plate says plus your factory ballast.

By Rob Andrus (robandrus) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've been grilled by a few rangers and I've had them check the plate for both people and weight. We didn't get a ticket but he sounded like he could use it against us.

By Jeremy Krenek (crowmobe540) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
the ballast weight is only considered in the recommendation on nautiques. all the other boats are supposed to include that ballast in with their weight. I was told this is because correct craft got it legalized through the courts a long time ago and then they changed how they felt about it. I don't know. Could have been mislead, but it does make sense that most boats hold way more weight than mine according to the plate.

By entrust clothing (entrustclothing) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ok so my boat says 1900lbs with ballast and people but the boat comes with the optional 2000lbs of ballast? so how does that make sense?

By swerver (swerver) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
in a sinking boat, water ballast should not count as ballast. Water weight becomes nutral. so I dont think you can use water ballast and skink your boat, unless you remove foam to make room for water bags (not smart!)

By pwork (siuski) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 3:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
markj-If I recall correctly when bought a supra and the plate on the boat at the dealer said 1700 lbs including people, gear, and ballast.

By Chris (cmb) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 3:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If your boat has factory ballast, that usually does not count against the weight they put on the plate. Check your owners manual though.

With that said, I double it and am fine :-).

By joe lendahl (joe1975) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 7:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow~ I wish we could get someone who knows what is correct. There isnt a gray area on this. I know that supra Gravity Games Edition says boat can carry 2300lbs, person, ballast, gear.. (see pic) this means that when the ballast is full the boat would be overloaded (cause the ballast is 2300lbs plus any driver or gear, etc.

I have heard about citations being issued...but i have never seen one or got first hand knowledge of one. I agree about the liability issue. Upload sorry its so blurry....

By Lane Morgan (lan1201) on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 7:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Its like in an elevator. It has a weight capacity but i promise you it can hold more. Plus a dealer is gonna tell you that cause he wants you to buy a bigger boat. As long as you dont have people hanging on the rack because of no space i dont think it will matter.If anyone tickets you for having too many people he is as an

By Chris (cmb) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 3:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Keep the people limited to what the tag says. For ballast, how do they know how much you have? That is a feature on the new 220 that I like... it drains through the bottom so no one sees you dumping water.

Check the Supra owners manual. The correct craft one clearly says that the factory ballast is not included in that.

By Jeremy Krenek (crowmobe540) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 3:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My boat says that ballast should not be considered in the weight capacity. I guess that is why it only holds 1450 lbs. ballast is 850, so that is your 2300 right there.

By Brian (brhanley) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 5:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You may all be right...under CA and federal law, not a violation (unless some local ordinance prohibits it). Other states may limit weight, etc. But, if you added enough weight to make your boat "unsafe" in the eyes of a CA Johnny Law, he apparently has a cheesy way to halt your fun. In other states, the law may be different. Glad I'm in CA for this and many other reasons...

From CA DMV website:

BOAT CAPACITY
Single-hull motorboats less than 20 feet in length which are manufactured
after 1972 must display capacity and safe horsepower information. The
maximum weight in persons, gear and motors is offered as a guide to boaters,
and should not be exceeded. It is not a violation of federal or California state
law to exceed recommended maximums. However, other states may cite an
operator who exceeds capacity and horsepower limitations. Some insurance
companies will not insure craft exceeding horsepower maximums and some
boat manufacturers will void any applicable warranties for the same reasons.

Peace officers are also authorized to order the operator of an unsafe vessel to
shore. A vessel can be ordered to the nearest safe moorage if an unsafe
condition is found that cannot be corrected on the spot and where, in the
judgment of the officer, the continued operation of the vessel would be
especially hazardous.

By markj (markj) on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 9:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My 2005 san owners manual states; "Correct Craft, Inc. installs a permanent wake enhancement ballast tank system in some models. The full weight of this system has already been considered in the boat weight and therefore does not influence maximum capacity unlike portable ballast tanks or weights, which must be included as part of the gear weights."-----Hope this helps.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com