Mercruiser Keyless ignition Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 21, 2006 » Mercruiser Keyless ignition « Previous Next »
By Ian (ian30) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone have any experience with this? i had two unfortunate incidents last year where i had to hotwire my boat, and thought that this might be a good solution for me. I am just wondering how well it works, and if it is more of a pain in the ass to use than a key. If you have one, can you please post your comments on it and maybe a picture of it installed. thanks

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a keyless ignition on my Super Air Nautique and I love it. Never have to look around for the key.

But if you are prone to forgetting / losing your key, why don't you just hide a spare key in the boat someplace? I like the keyless ignition, but not to the point where I would install one after I already had the boat.

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have never taken the key out of the ignition switch.

By Dante (hal2814) on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 2:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've been eyeing them myself. You can get one for a Merc for as little as $40 now. The only thing that concerns me is that there is a factory reset code. I was trying to find out if the factory code was different for each unit or not but I got distracted and didn't get back to finding out. If the factory reset code is the same for all units, then you're no better off than Karl from a security standpoint. I've been there with the key situation twice myself. Once was leaving them mat home and the other was when the keychain broke and I didn't know it until I got home. Fortunately back then I was using the outboard so all I had to do was read the number off the ignition to a Evinrude shop to get the right key. Too bad Stanley doesn't have the same policy so I did have to use some bolt cutters on the padlock on the trailer tongue once. I now have 4 keys for my outboard. I may end up getting the keyless myself for my Merc but it's not at the top of my priorities yet. In the meantime, I just keep a spare key in my wallet. Here's a review of the model I'm looking at.

By Mike Usner (musner) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 8:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's a pic of one I bought on Ebay a few years ago around 30-40 bucks.
Upload
Pros:
- No keys to lose.
- Never need to carry a key around (good if you have no pockets and are carrying two beers ahem, drinks).
- Automatically operates blower when engine is at idle or stopped.
- Can be easily locked with a custom code.
- No extra keys on a key ring to swing around and scratch stuff.
- Easy to install.

Cons:
- It's an eyesore. How easy would it have been to make it nicer looking?
- Two small holes for mounting screws.
- Having to explain to everyone that rides on the boat what it is.
- Having to explain to a new driver how to use it.
- It beeps when it turns the blower off prompting the inevitable, "What was that?"

Over all, I like it.

-Mike

By Andrew Park (wakemonter) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone have one of these on a Supra or something similar ?

By Psyclone (cyclonecj) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 10:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They are a no brainer to install, I have one that the dealer put in my Toyota, they also do Supras,

I have the instruction manual, I could scan it and post it when I get home (10 days)

They can be a pain, little kids always pushing the buttons and my keypad is not fully functional. It starts and stops but the code part is inop. I concur with the cons listed above, I would have replaced it with a key switch if it were not for the two holes:-)

I looked it up on line last week,last week, it runs 179$ or so on line.

By Craig Strait (yosquire) on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 3:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCRUISER-KEYLESS-IGNITION-SYSTEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31284QQitemZ4510534711QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Looks like they redesigned the panel?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com